October 2012 - 4

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

Bernardo is a Mexican expat, now a permanent resident of the US. A good friend of his from growing up in Ciudad Juarez lives in Cancun with her husband and children. Bernardo was able to connect with them and arrange to spend Sunday with them. We got him to the 7am ferry and he went off for the day. Doug and I hung around the condo, swam in the ocean and the pool most of the morning. We then took off for the salsa dancing at Playa Azul hotel and beach for the afternoon. This was a lot of fun to watch. There must have been 40 people who were really good dancers going at it all afternoon. By the end of the afternoon I had identified who I thought was Laura (the salsa queen of Cozumel) and talked with her. She said that there had been an anniversary party for Carlos and Charlies the night before and that salsa dance clubs from Cozumel, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Merida had come in for the party and hadn't left yet. They were the ones doing the dancing. It was great fun to watch.

The covered bar area at Playa Azul beach.
Posted Image

Some of the dancers. The lady in the black top and jean shorts is Laura who is a big promoter and teacher of salsa.
Posted Image

Some of the people who were doing the cuban group salsa dance.
Posted Image

Another of the group dance.
Posted Image

Since salsa should be seen in video, here is a link to a youtube video I posted of this group dancing. I don't know how to make it "clickable" so you'll have to copy it and paste it into the address bar of your brower.

After the salsa dancing ended, we went into town for dinner. I had a hankering for Chinese so we headed for Chi's. It was closed (Sunday 7pm). So we decided to go to Wet Wendy's (also closed). So we next went to Plaza Leza on the square. I have always liked their Sopa de Limon. It was still great.

Posted Image

I was really into enchiladas in mole sauce this week so I had some here. It was also great.

Posted Image

During the meal a couple young guys were doing something that looked like breakdancing with fire. (It might have been the same guys from last night that the dog chased away.) They were entertaining and we tipped them when they came around with their bucket. We had arranged to meet Bernardo at 9pm (after the 8pm ferry arrived). He didn't show up so we waited for 10pm , but there wasn't a 9pm ferry. He ended coming in at 11 (on the 10pm ferry) and walked back to the condo. While we were waiting for him we hung around the plaza. The Banda Cuzamil group was playing.

Posted Image

Aquino (the dark cuban guy on the left) was jamming good.

Posted Image

The percussion section.

Posted Image

And the horns.

Posted Image

Monday morning was the time for the dive training for Bernardo and a refresher for Doug. We met Pancho at the Caleta about 10am and did the training. Pancho checking over Doug's gear while Bernardo looks on.

Posted Image

Miguel and I waiting in the boat while they did their practice dive.

Posted Image

Then we went for lunch at La Hatch. We had burgers and fries.

Posted Image

The normal pre-meal chips and salsa on the second floor/balcony area at La Hatch.

Posted Image

A view over the balcony to one of the small dive boat piers.

Posted Image

Then back to the marina for a 2-tank afternoon dive. We did some shallow dives at Chankanaub and Paradise. Since I had killed my camera the previous Friday, Pancho let me borrow his for the dive. Here's one of me.

Posted Image

And one of Bernardo on his first dive.

Posted Image

And the tres amigos at the end of the day.

Posted Image

Then back to condo to clean up and out to Pancho's for dinner. He, his wife, and his aunt had spent Sunday cooking Pozole Rojo. It was a great soup with shredded chicken and pork in it.

#2 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

<like> The Salsa dancing video is fun to watch!

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users