Update - How To Put Photos In Posts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

A couple years ago when the new website went up I posted an explanation of how to put photos in your posts. I tried to follow my own directions for the October 2012 trip reports and found that some of the details had changed. So I'm reposting that info, updated with how picasa works now.

1. Put the photos I want to share into a lower-resolution .JPG (jpeg) format using some kind of photo editor. (My camera takes photos that are 3 to 4 MBs in size. This is way to big for web use so I bring the photos into a photo editor program - I use HP Photosmart Premier that came with one of my cameras. I reduce the size/quality of the photo to a 'email size' - 650 by 480 so that the file size is down to around 300K. The original resolution/size of the photos from my camera are 2116 by 2812, and take up 3 to 4 MB. )

2. Put the photos into a Picasa (by google) photo album. (When you get to the point of inserting the photo into the text of your posting, you have to insert a photo from some location on the internet. And the photo you are inserting must be in a generally recognized format - like .jpg. I tried to 'insert' from a file directly on my PC's C drive. It would not work. I tried to insert from a facebook photo album but it would not work either. I think the facebook problem is that when you upload a .jpg file to facebook, it gets changed to a different kind of file format that will not insert onto the CMC website posting software. So, I found that if I put the photo on Picasa, it does work. Note also that if you use Picasa, you have to declare the photo album you create as being "PUBLIC" visible so that the links will show in the CMC post. I think that making them "VISIBLE THRU A LINK" will also work but I use the PUBIC setting.

3. Start a new post on the CMC forum. When I get to the point where I want a photo, I bring up Picasa in a second tab (so that I have my CMC post and the Picasa album available at the same time). The following info it how to find the linking phrase from picasa to bring into the CMC post so that your picture shows
(here is where the directions change)
In Picasa when you go to your "My Photos" tab, you will see your photo albums. Notice the one I used to store all the photos that I then displayed on the CMC post for October 2012 is called Cozumel October 2012. Above the cover photo for that album is a line that says "Albums ... Edit visibility". This is where you click to declare your album PUBLIC.
Posted Image
When you're on the public screen, make sure you select PUBLIC (or Limited - link) for that album.
Posted Image
When you have set the visibility for the album and then returned to your main My Photos screen, click on the album's cover photo. You will then see thumbnails of the photos in your album.
Posted Image
OK, this next part is a little pickey. Click on one of the photos to display the one photo only. Then, on the lower right part of the screen you will see a blue line that says "Link to this photo". When you click it a bunch of stuff shows up underneath it. You have to checkbox the 'image only - no link' box, then you have to choose the picture size. (If you go too much higher than 800, your photo won't display within one screenfull. If you go too low, it will look really little. I tend to use 640.)

When you have selected those two things, a phrase will show up in the box labelled "embed image". this phrase will begin with http:// and then go on to uniquely identify this photo. Click into that box and the entire phrase will highlight (turn blue). You then 'copy' that phrase (either use CTRL-C or right click the mouse and choose copy), then you switch browse tabs to your CMC posting and paste that phrase into an image link. We'll show that in a minute.
Posted Image
In your CMC Make a New Post screen, click into the Topic box and then click on the green 'insert image' icon. It is the 3rd picture icon on the line that begins with B, then I, then underlined U. When you click on it a little box that says Insert Image on top, has a Image URL box in the middle, and a Insert Image button on the bottom. Click into the Image URL box (which should say http:// at this point, and then paste the phrase you copied from the picasa tab (either by using CTRL-V or right clicking the mouse and selecting PASTE).
Posted Image
Finally you hit the Insert Image button (on the bottom of the little box) and you will see your photo in the posting. (I have noticed that if I didn't get the URL reference correct, a little image symbol shows up in my posting but it does not show a photo and it will blow up on me when I try to save the post.)

4. Continue the narrative of your post by typing your text. When you are ready to insert another photo, repeat step 3.

You can enlarge or shrink the size of the photo as it comes in by clicking on the photo (which will outline it with little box symbols on the corners and in the middle of each top/bottom/side line). Click and drag the lower right-hand box symbol to make the photo the size you want. With picasa's new way of selecting the size I've found that I have not had to do that.

I hope this helps and is not too complex for anyone. When I am doing the post, I normally use two different website tabs in my browser - one showing the picasa album so that I can do the "copy", and then the CMC post in a second tab so that I can do the "paste". Or I could use two instances of the browser (run the browser twice), one showing picasa and the other showing the CMC post.

If anyone else finds a different (or simpler) way to get photos into your posts, let me know.

#2 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

BIG Thanks!
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

holly cow Batman...pic's to follow (if no pic's, it's user error)

Dan, hands on training is required. You will just have to hop a plane and get back ASAP!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

If I haven't seen a photo-included post from you by June, I'll hunt you down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users