October 2012 - 5

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

Tuesday we went to the mainland to visit the Tulum ruins and stop by a cenote. We caught the 7am ferry into Playa.

Arriving at Playa.

Posted Image

When we arrived there was a film crew setting up on the beach next to the ferry dock. Doug is a TV producer/director so he was more than normally interested in the film crew.

Posted Image

Posted Image

We had arranged to rent a car for the day and the guy was supposed to meet us at the dock. We were expected a big name card with our names on it and didn't see any. So we wondered around a bit and then called the office. While wondering we ran across a little chapel in a park next to the bus station.

Posted Image

They were having eucharist adoration (a catholic thing) so we stopped in for a little.

Posted Image

Across from the chapel was the bus station, we went in so Doug could get familiar with it since he would be on his own getting to the Cancan airport when we returned home. The had a nice little map of the area.

Posted Image

It turns out the guy from the car rental place had been there but just had a polo shirt with the company name so we didn't notice him. We got the car and headed down to Tulum. We stopped at one of the little restaurants in the main 'mall' area. We stopped to watch the pole dancers. They start at the top of a pole. The guy in the middle plays a flute and the 4 other guys hang upside down from ropes that gradually unwind until they all reach the ground.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then we walked down the lane to the ruin entrance. We hired a tour guide for $50. He was disappointing. The information he provided was very minimal (like here is where the nobility lived, here is where the common people lived, and here is where the priest lived). The place is pretty. Here are some photos of it.

Entering the walled town thru the famous Mayan Arch.

Posted Image

The main temple from the north side.

Posted Image

A watch tower on the top of the wall, northwest corner.

Posted Image

Our guide.

Posted Image

One of the building in the administrative area.

Posted Image

A close up of the carving above the doorway from the previous photo.

Posted Image

The main temple from the front (from the west side).

Posted Image

We were there from around 11 to 1 so it was hot. Unfortunately we did not bring any swim stuff so we could not make use of the beach area at the ruins.

Posted Image

On the way out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We left and headed out to El Gran Cenote. I'm glad we went but the price was surprising. It cost 57 pesos to get into the ruins, and $100 pesos to get into the cenote. The cenote was two openings in the ground. The water was about 10 feet down from the ground level. I had forgotten my swim trunks so paddled around in my cargo shorts. I had visited a cenote near Chichen Itza where the hole was probably 100 ft from the ground level to the water. The roots of the trees hung down and looked spectacular. I guess I was expecting something more like that so was mostly disappointed. We drove back to playa and got on the 4pm ferry back. We cleaned up and then went to Conchita del Caribe for dinner. We arrived there about 7:20 and didn't notice that the sign said they closed at 7:30. They were very gracious and served us until we left at 8:15. They closed up quick when we were done. By the time we got to our car, the windows were shuttered and all the lights were out.

Chips and salsas.

Posted Image

Bernardo had a shrimp cocktail.

Posted Image

Doug and I each had coconut shrimp.

Posted Image

Then we headed home.

#2 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

<like> It does seem like many Coz restaurants big meal is Lunch and late Lunch.... then closing early, right when us tourists get hungry and are ready to eat.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users