October 2012 - 7 (The End)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

Thursday was to be a solo dive day (me only). But my ear got clogged with water on Wednesday so we cancelled the dive. Instead, Bernardo, Doug, and I drove around the island. We started with breakfast at Jeannie’s.

Posted Image

Doug and I had waffles and eggs.

Posted Image

Bernardo had chile rellenos.

Posted Image

The beach areas just in back of Jeannie's. We watched a couple of people to the snuba thing.

Posted Image

The Disney Magic was in port at the downtown Punta Langosta pier. This is a close up of the rear of the ship.

Posted Image

Then we continued our counter-clockwise tour of the island. Drove slowly on the old road past Chankanaab and the hotels. We stopped in at El Cedral.

Posted Image

The statues showing the 'pig head dance' in the main square of the little village.

Posted Image

El Cedral was founded by a group of people escaping the troubles in the Yucatan between Maya pure bloods and mixed race people (sounds a little like a Harry Potter storyline). At one time a group of people were holed up in a church in the Yucatan and prayed before a cross for protection. When they survived they migrated to Cozumel, founded El Cedral, and started a annual celebration of the Holy Cross (Santa Cruz) which is a big event in Cozumel and the whole state of Quitana Roo. Here is the little church where the cross was placed.

Posted Image

This is a photo from an earlier trip since the plaster in the ceiling had collapsed and this whole area was being repaired when we were there.

Drove slowly around the east side and then stopped at Coconuts for a light lunch – lemonades and jalapenos poppers.

Posted Image

Stopped by Pancho's new home is has been building for a few years now (out in 'the jungle', an area west of the airport where the airport road continues into the brush). The area is called "Las Fincas" (the woods") and is further west than the other new colonia being build called "Felix Canto".

Posted Image

We then did some shopping around the square, and headed back to the condo to pack for the next day’s return.

One last look north from the condo.

Posted Image

And Friday morning, one last time seeing the cruise ships pass in front of us.

Posted Image

And a view of the north end of the island from the plane.

Posted Image

To finish up, I had dropped Doug off for the 7am ferry so he could get to the Cancun airport. Bernardo and I left from Cozumel. We ran into Doug in the hallways leading to customs in Houston. Got thru customs and immigration in a little less than 1-1/2 hours. We were booked on the 7:30 flight back to Detroit but asked the desk people if there was any chance of getting the 5:30 flight instead. They were able to do that for us. The plane was tiny (1 seat on one side, 2 on the other, the overheads were too small for carryons so we gate-checked them. But we did get home a couple hours earlier.

Already planning the next trip for June 15. Anybody want to do diving with me?

#2 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for the great trip report and pictures.
Cindy

#3 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

Fun trip report, Dan... thanks for taking the time to put it together and post. You fit a lot into this trip! And of course, you are already planning the next one... haha. A true Cozaholic.
:lol:

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#4 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

Really enjoyed your report - gracias.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users