• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Getting ready to plant my gardens for winter.

We have tons of ready to use soil out here, but add leafs, and small pebbles for aeration.

Never buy the soil that comes in bags at Mega or Chedrui. It's has the consistence of DUST, and is worthless. When it is wet, it hardens like concrete.

One place that does have good (enough) soil is the nursery on 65 and airport road. You can add leafs, pebbles and broken up (very small) pieces of styrofoams to aerate the soil.

If you are growing in pots, add rocks to the bottom for drainage. If you are using the black plastic grow bags, make sure you cut small holes in the bottom also for drainage.

If I am starting plants from seeds, I use cardboard egg cartons. Cut the bottom out when ready to plant in soil. I also use small plastic cups, with holes in the bottom and once planting size, remove it from the cup and plant.

What I am planting for winter now;
Cherry Tomatoes - I purchase cherry tomatoes, wait until they go bad, and at room temperature prep the growing container, pop the tomatoes so the seeds are exposed, and plant the whole thing.

Red and White little potatoes-keep the potatoes warm, and they will sprout roots. You can plant the whole potatoes, but if you have multiple roots, cut the potatoes and plant each half.

Yam, and or Sweet potatoes-same treatment as the potatoes

Pineapples-you want at least 2 inch of flesh, plus the top of the pineapple. You can start it in water, or try directly to soil. It takes about 12 to 14 months to bear fruit. They are pretty plants, so they add a nice touch to any garden.

Chili Peppers-I picked up the seeds in Mega and started them in grow cups, and they will share the garden bed with the tomatoes. But any veggie or fruit that has seeds can be used. Just dry the seeds out first before planting.

Other considerations that work well, and I have grown;
Watermelon grows well here, as does pumpkins.
Carrots will also grow, but you need a deep garden.
Peppers (green, yellow, red) just save the seeds, dry them and plant them

I use Fish Emulsion for fertilizer about every 3 or 4 months on all my plants. You can buy it as garden centers in the states, it isn't available here. You only use a few drops, and a bottle lasts me about 2 years. If you're a hearty soul, you could make your own with fish parts and a blender.

We do have a small compost pile (only leafs, and coffee grounds). I would suggest you use garbage can (with holes, and tight lid)to make compost. You have to water, and turn the compost fairly regularly as well.

Lots of veggies can be grown here...plant something today :)

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 kixy1

kixy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

OMG, I SO want to retire NOW!! Pineapple?! I bet that is gorgeous and yummy :) One of my worries in choosing a place to retire is access/ability to gardening.... I think the apt/condo option is slowing losing ground. I want to grow yams and PINEAPPLE!! LOL

#3 pjgoris

pjgoris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

It took my pineapple 3 years to bear fruit..What did I do wrong... I also was in the states when the pineapple was ripe bummer didn't even get to enjoy it. I have 2 more growing though and yeas they are beautiful plants

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

pjgoris, you had a late bloomer ;)

I have had some Pineapple plants not bloom, and others that produce fruit within the timeframe I mentioned.

I have a pineapple plant that has already product fruit, and from my understanding, these plants should only produce one crop. But, it's growing again, and I'll just have to wait and see if it produces fruit again.

BTW, I keep my potatoes that I want to use for seed in the laundry room to keep them warm which I hope speeds up the roots development.

It's a fun hobby, and you get reap great reward for your efforts.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users