Xbox 360 And Vpn

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

Has anyone had the experience or the know how to set up a VPN with an XBOX 360 to enable downloading US games and streaming Netflix and Hulu from the US? I need to get this done before my Grandson arrives..lol

#2 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

It is possible that your grandson can do it no problem. If it was a playstation 3 I could tell you. We got all our info off of our box the router came in from cablemas

#3 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

He is only 4 LOL. He can operate an IPad better than me, but his reading level is not quite up to this job. I know I can put the VPN on the laptop and connect thru that...I think...but there is a way to load the VPN stright into the XBOX...just need to find someone with the tech skills.

#4 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

USA Netflix, Hulu and several other services are not allowed outside of the USA and cannot be had here.

Cozumel Diving

#5 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

This is a link to a youtube tutorial on doing this. Perhaps this helps, perhaps not. Good luck.

#6 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

CZDM, Actually there is now a Mexican Netflix. Other than that the reason I am asking about a VPN is because it changes your IP to one in the US which allows you to stream from the others and to also download XBOX games from the US.

#7 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

For a VPN, you need to have a server at the other end. Unless you have someone willing to set this up for you in the States, you'll need to use one of many commercial services for this. They aren't particularly expensive. Some are free.

Have a look at http://lifehacker.co...rvice-providers and http://www.pcmag.com...,2408596,00.asp

A second issue is that it's easiest to set up a VPN between your computer and a server. That means the Virtual Private Network is available only on that computer, not your entire network. For connecting a game console to a VPN, this won't help.

To set up a VPN for your entire network, the most definitive method involves a second router (in addition to the one that you use to connect to your ISP) that contains firmware that will handle this. That second router sits on the Virtual Private Network and thinks it's located wherever the server is located. Anything you connect to that router will have an IP address appropriate to the location of the server. You still need your primary router to connect to your ISP, since that router can't have a location that isn't on your ISP's network and still actually connect you to the internet.

Such routers are pretty cheap (at least in the US, under 50 bucks) and pro-level firmware is free (DD-WRT, Tomato, several others). Setup can be tedious, but mostly involves following a list of steps. Like everything else to do with setting up networks, there are many potential failure points, and it can depend on the position of the planets, barometric pressure, and your sock size whether you're able to get it to work or not.

This is enough of a pain that I haven't set it up at our house on the island yet. If my son ever takes his Xbox there, I'll need to.

#8 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

from some of the utubes and web sites I have checked, I can use my laptop as the router, putting thge VPN service on it then connecting the xbox thru the laptop. You do NOT have to be in the USA topurchase or start one of the servers. If you research, one of the main reasons for the VPN is to access sites unavailable where you live.

#9 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

We brought our playstation 3 from the states. Set it up here and used our cabelmas router and all info from it and netflix came right up. Do not know if it was because it came from the us or not. Netflix has a mexican server so it works here just fine. Best other deal is a roku box from the states and use ustvnow.com. to get hulu.You cannot manipulate the browser to the right spot on ps3 to get it to accept hulu. Of course we can hook up the laptop to tv and stream ustv thru that. Decided it was much better to go to the square and listen to the band instead of watching tv anyway.

#10 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

Hillbilly, the netflix you are getting is the Mexican one no doubt. It has different content than the one from the USA.

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Has anyone had the experience or the know how to set up a VPN with an XBOX 360 to enable downloading US games and streaming Netflix and Hulu from the US? I need to get this done before my Grandson arrives..lol

The free VPN services don't work well. They are waaay too slow. You get what you pay for. That said, VPN service that works ain't cheap at least not last I checked. It was something like $70 US a MONTH.

We are using Mexican netflix with our US netflix account with no problem. But the selection is still extremely limited, of course. That seems to be improving already, however.

#12 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

CZDM, Actually there is now a Mexican Netflix. Other than that the reason I am asking about a VPN is because it changes your IP to one in the US which allows you to stream from the others and to also download XBOX games from the US.

I have had the Mexican Netflix for about a year. I assumed you were talking about USA Netflix. I tried to use free proxy servers for years to use USA Netflix....not possible. Netflix will recognize it. The only service which allows 100% USA usage, that I know of, is iTunes.

Cozumel Diving

#13 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

In order to get Netflix in Mexico do you need to set up another account? I have tried to get Netflix down there before even using proxy servers with no luck. Having an account in Mexico, I am sure would work but would rather stream from the US. I guess I will have to write them and see what has to be done in order to use my US account down there if possible.

#14 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

In order to get Netflix in Mexico do you need to set up another account? I have tried to get Netflix down there before even using proxy servers with no luck. Having an account in Mexico, I am sure would work but would rather stream from the US. I guess I will have to write them and see what has to be done in order to use my US account down there if possible.

I have a US account and it can log on with the same username and password down here and it streams just fine. But I am getting Mexican netflix which has, at this point, very few offerings compared to the US version. That will change, of course.

Bottom line if you sign up for a $7/month streaming account in the US it will automatically hook you up with the mexican version when your IP address shows you're down here.

#15 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

It is a licensing issue. It is not up to Netflix. If you on the island you will get the Mexican version.

Cozumel Diving

#16 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

I wondered what happened to all my jap made kung fu movies. Mex netflix huh! Now it is all clear. I had no idea but I knew something was wrong as I cannot get english subtitles on most of the shows. And selection is bad. Light bulb moment

#17 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

It is a licensing issue. It is not up to Netflix. If you on the island you will get the Mexican version.

Tell us about i-tunes, Mike. Can you stream stuff or how do you play something you rent from them online?

#18 teacher

teacher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:teaching,reading, cooking, movies, photography, marine biology

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

We get both Mexican and U.S. Netflix. To get the U.S. Netflix we use a proxy server, Hotshield, to watch U.S. Netflix. Hotshield offers free proxy service which includes commercials. For $20 per year we upgraded to Hotshield commercial free service.
Thanks!

#19 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

Tell us about i-tunes, Mike. Can you stream stuff or how do you play something you rent from them online?

Per iTunes: We use an Apple TV device. We can buy or rent from 10's of thousands of movies and TV shows. We are streaming everything. Even HD movies load within seconds with a 20Mbps download. If you use iTunes Match for iCloud storage, you can access your music throught the device. The device includes widgets for: Netflix, YouTube, Vimeo, Movies and movie trailers, NBA, MLB, NHL and of course iTunes. The cool deal with iTunes...................if you have an American credit card and American billing address, then you can use the iTunes USA program.

Am going to try the deal with hotshield to see if I can get it to work with USA NEtflix. In the past it never has, but it looks like at least one person has been successful.

Cozumel Diving

#20 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

Teacher, tell me more about HotShield please. I was looking at "HideMyAss" which gets great reviews and it is $78 a year. Your information is exactly what I have been asking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users