32 replies to this topic

#21 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

We get both Mexican and U.S. Netflix. To get the U.S. Netflix we use a proxy server, Hotshield, to watch U.S. Netflix. Hotshield offers free proxy service which includes commercials. For $20 per year we upgraded to Hotshield commercial free service.

Wow! Ihaven't checked vpn services for like 6 years and the times they are a changin'! I googled hotshield and came up with this service:

http://strongvpn.com...CFS-RPAodpTQAiQ

#22 teacher

teacher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:teaching,reading, cooking, movies, photography, marine biology

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

My bad. The name of the vpn site is hotspotshield.com. Just google and download. You can also get hulu programming here too. Streaming from Amazon however will not work so don't waste your time trying that (darn!). The free version of hot spot shield comes with commercials which can be turned off, but they are irritating when in the middle of watching a movie. The premium upgrade (no commercials)is $20 per year for each computer. We've purchased it for 3 computers. When you use it, check that the IP site is from the U.S. (Usually San Jose, CA). Sometimes it will send you to a site outside the U.S., i.e. England, Mexico, etc. If this happens just close it and sign back on. You can also view the IP location before you log on to netflix. Be sure to sign out of your Mexico netflix account before launching hotspot. After you're on hotspot with the San Jose IP, then click onto netflix. Same routine applies when returning to netflix Mexico. We've been using the hotspot system for 3 years now, mainly for netflix, and love it. Hope this helps.
Thanks!

#23 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

Wow! Ihaven't checked vpn services for like 6 years and the times they are a changin'! I googled hotshield and came up with this service:

http://strongvpn.com...CFS-RPAodpTQAiQ

Just paid for and installed hotspotshield on one of my computers. Got the $30/year 'elite' version with no commercials and was able to connect to my US netflix account. It says I'm connected to the Chicago server, though.

Getting all the US offerings. However the lip sync was way off so I went into accounts/video quality and chose good quality as opposed to the highest level video quality and now the audio synchs up.

Teacher, you mentioned connecting specifically to the San Jose server? How would I do that since it is automatially connecting me to the Chicago server. Thinking San Jose might be faster?? Dunno. Still I'm a happy camper particularly as I can now turn on the subtitles on a lot of stuff and they are in English. Woo.

Thank you!!!

#24 teacher

teacher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Carey, It doesn't matter which city as long as it is under the U.S. flag. We've even been routed through Dubai and received U.S. netflix. Actually, we have had some problems streaming through San Jose. Sometimes it will go through Atlanta, Ft. Lauderdale, or somewhere in Colorado.
Thanks!

#25 teacher

teacher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

By the way, connections are random, but you can disconnect and reconnect to change the proxy location.
Thanks!

#26 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

I downloaded the elite for 29.99 and it is working great on my laptop with hulu. I will know tonite how well it works with my xbox live after my friend comes to hook up my xbox and connect thru the laptop. I am sooooooooooooo excited. My grandson will now have his Castle Crashers game and his TV shows.

#27 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Carey this is the correct website for Hotspot Shield http://www.hotspotshield.com/en. The one you posted was a different server.

#28 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

Carey, It doesn't matter which city as long as it is under the U.S. flag. We've even been routed through Dubai and received U.S. netflix. Actually, we have had some problems streaming through San Jose. Sometimes it will go through Atlanta, Ft. Lauderdale, or somewhere in Colorado.

Yah, I understand how it works but didn't realize it had become so inexpensive. So far the Chicago server is doing fine and AJ is watching something right now. I am looking forward to the foreign movies I'll now be able to stream with English subtitles.

Woo and thanks again so much for that tip, teacher.

By the way the link I gave was to another vpn service that gets excellent reviews. Pricing is a little different as it let's you connect with any computer or device you wish but only one at a time.

We brought back nexus 7's from the states and I see there is a new droid app from the hotshpotshield company although from the comments on play.google.com they don't appear to have ironed out the glitches yet.

#29 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Teacher, Are you watching netfix thru your computer connected to your tv? I do not know if you can do that with a Playstation 3 as it goes thru our router and I do not know how to hide an IP address with the router itself.

#30 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Teacher, Are you watching netfix thru your computer connected to your tv? I do not know if you can do that with a Playstation 3 as it goes thru our router and I do not know how to hide an IP address with the router itself.

that strongvpn service for which I posted the link has, I seem to remember, instructions for setting up the vpn to work at the router level. But you might try chat or support email with hotspotshield and see what they say.

Hotspot shield's pricing plan has you pay PER COMPUTER. So the software is on each individual computer -- not the router.

Other services have different price plans. I think the strongvpn is useable by any computer anywhere but there can only be one computer logged into the network at a time.

My set up is dsl/passive switch/wireless router. I turn on the computer loaded with the hotspotshield software that allows me to connect to one of their cloaking servers. Log in to my wireless signal, connect to one of their cloaking servers. Then I brower to netflix and my US account shows up.

I have a laptop with an hdmi connection which I HIGHLY recommend. I plug one end of the hdmi cable into my computer that is streaming netflix and the other into one of the hdmi slots on my LG flat screen and I can watch netflix full screen.

I bought a special little 'entertainment' computer just for this purpose. It's a little Acer with an 11.5" screen and a full size keyboard. Bigger than a notebook but not by a lot. Has an hdmi slot. Cost under $400 and would have been less if I hadn't opted for additional memory.

#31 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

How is your streaming doing on this VPN. Mine keeps buffering and will not stream steadily? I have cablemas internet.

#32 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

How is your streaming doing on this VPN. Mine keeps buffering and will not stream steadily? I have cablemas internet.

I have telmex dsl and have installed hotshieldplus on two computers each of which uses a different router and they both work great to stream hulu and netflix USA. I can also go to all the network channels most of which offer free eposides.

Then I went and got adblock plus for chrome or I think its called adblock video if you use firefox. Free download and it blocks the annoying commercials hulu puts on their $7.99/month accounts.

#33 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

To stream HD without stopping or glitching you need 18+ Mbps. You can check it here: http://speedtest.net/ We have had cablemas for nearly a month and there has been only a few hours where we did not get the correct speed.

Cozumel Diving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users