• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

I have been lurking here for a few weeks reading everything while trying to get my registration verified. (My fault for missing a step) It finally happened just now so here I am.

I have been to Cozumel 3x this year and will be returning again in January. Hubby & I are avid scuba divers and we have fallen in love with Cozumel. So much so that we are about 99% sure we will be retiring there in 2014. Can't wait.

Hope to get and then give lots of great information on my favourite second home.

Thanks
Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#2 segarn

segarn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

Welcome to the board!

#3 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:56 AM

Yes, welcome. We are from Bobcaygeon (almost neighbours-note the "u" in neighbours) and have been holidaying in Coz for nearly twenty years, and fell in love with it (warts and all) and thus are spending much more time there. We have bought a place, and struggling with learning, but thoroughly enjoying, Spanish. Saludos!

#4 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

I know Bobcaygeon. Where did you buy? And a house or a condo? We will be coming permanently so we are looking for a house. Everything we like so far is around Ave 80 by Sam's Club. Not as close to down-town as we had hoped but we plan on buying a car.

Betty

#5 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

Congratulations, you will love it here as long as you're set to go with the flow. There are a lot of great properties here....we struggled between a house and a condo and finally decided on a condo. I grew up through the summers in the Kawartha Highlands area just outside of Bobcaygeon. We sold the cottage in 2008.

If you have any questions on your upcoming move this is the place for information. It was a valuable resource for us when we were making our decisions.

Good Luck

#6 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Ya know it is kinda weird. We always dove dove dove when we came on vacation. Now that we live here diving is not as important as it once was. Not saying all people are the same it is just that after you get here you start to realize there is much more to do. I think one thing that happened was on vacation we always knew we could go back and earn more if we spent more.
We purchased 2 years before we moved and are happily retired here now. Just sayin it is not much different than living back in Colorado other than the obvious weather differences. Cultural differences are fun to learn about and the locals here are great to get to know if not a little standoffish at first.
Part of the fun is trying to get something done here,patience is required and you can throw everything out the window when it comes to expectations of how it should be. It is what it is and that is OK!!!!!!!!!

#7 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

KAC: We thought about a condo too but it seems a lot more for less space...but ah yes there is that view.

hillbilly: Thanks for the advice. I read about your trip down. We thought about doing it until we read your trip report. LOL We go now to dive but since we decided to move there...our last trip in November was only 12 dives. We spent the afternoons house hunting or other such stuff. This upcoming trip in January will be similar. We have a happy hour at Blue Angel to meet other fellow Canadian and then on the Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon we are going to meet with Coz2wonder's insurance agent to discuss health insurance. That is the only big unknown for us since it is free in Canada.

I love this forum. Everyone is so friendly and helpful.

Betty

Betty

#8 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

Actually some of the condos are quite large. Ours is 3 bedroom and about 1700 sq. ft., It depends on where you are looking. We like the idea of no outdoor maintenance, yet we have a pool and large grounds to roam. There are several properties available on the island, I'm sure you will find something that will suit your needs.

#9 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

We went with the health insurance here from Irma Cantrell. Cost us both about 250.00 us a month. In the good old USA our insurance would have been about 1000. to 1200. Doctors visits etc can for us be paid out of pocket but big problems are for the insurance.
We also came down and dove and then house hunted the rest of the time , as we had been doing this for several years on several different islands my wife had had enough of house hunting and so we ended up here. Glad we did.
This forum is wonderful for people such as yourself and us before we came down. Still read it daily

#10 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

I read this daily now getting ready for our move down in just over a year. I think once I am there and retired I will still be on almost daily. I love forums and message boards. First to get...and then to give.

What else am I going to do all day, right?

When we were going to Hong Kong to retire I had already planned to volunteer at the Hong Kong Dog Rescue. They have about 70 dogs every day that need a walk twice a day. I wonder if the Cozumel Humane Society needs help like that too? We will have to check it out on one of our visits as we hope to get a 2nd dog from there after we arrive.

KAC: Is your condo located in the north with an ocean view? We had a taxi take us up to the end and back but we didn't really look at anything in particular. I saw one on the realtor's website for Hacienda Monte Cristo and it looked nice. But it is priced at $285K for only 2 bedrooms (1450 sq ft). Plus there are condo fees which I don't like.

Still lots of time to decide but we are leaning towards a house because of the dog...dogs. Quicker to get outside to do their business.

Betty

Betty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users