• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 CozyDobermans

CozyDobermans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

My two Cozumel born and raised chocolate Dobermans need a good loving new owner to take them because I had to leave due to illness and can't return. Sultan (5) and Sheba (2) are well trained and cared for and socialized. Perfect guard dogs! They are loving and very protective of family and property.
Please submit a brief letter describing your qualifications and property.

Please email Dianne at diannebenson2012@gmail.com (cc Alexia at lexani202@gmail.com)

#2 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

Is there a reason you can't take them with you?

#3 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:44 AM

Is there a reason you can't take them with you?

Re-read the ladies post.

Cozumel Diving

#4 CozyDobermans

CozyDobermans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

We don't have a place for them here and the situation has expired down there for them. We were having them 'babysat' until we could secure the place and the funds to transport them, but our time has expired there and they have to move. :( We have until January to find them a home and we dont have the space or the funds to bring them up here yet. Plus it would be super cold for them here right now, and they would surely have stress and arthritis issues to move them to such a climate shift.

#5 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

I did read her post, CZMDM, it said she was sick. Got it, no need for snark. She didn't say WHY the dogs couldn't go with.

Cozydobermans, I'm sorry that you're running out of time with the babysitters that currently have your dogs. I wish you good luck in finding a new, permanent, home for them. It's not going to be easy. If there is any chance of getting the dogs to you, I think you should. Dogs shouldn't be treated like furniture that you just get rid of. I understand that it's a difficult situation, but I wish that pet owners would treat their animals like members of the family, and not give them up because it's inconvenient or expensive to take them along when circumstances change.

You may want to try posting their pictures on some of the local Cozumel pages on Facebook, you'll get better exposure for them. Segunda Mano Cozumel, Remates Cozumel, Mascotas perdidas y encontradas en Cozumel, are a couple that I know of that you may have better luck with.

Best of luck to you, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

#6 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

I did read her post, CZMDM, it said she was sick. Got it, no need for snark. She didn't say WHY the dogs couldn't go with.

Cozydobermans, I'm sorry that you're running out of time with the babysitters that currently have your dogs. I wish you good luck in finding a new, permanent, home for them. It's not going to be easy. If there is any chance of getting the dogs to you, I think you should. Dogs shouldn't be treated like furniture that you just get rid of. I understand that it's a difficult situation, but I wish that pet owners would treat their animals like members of the family, and not give them up because it's inconvenient or expensive to take them along when circumstances change.

You may want to try posting their pictures on some of the local Cozumel pages on Facebook, you'll get better exposure for them. Segunda Mano Cozumel, Remates Cozumel, Mascotas perdidas y encontradas en Cozumel, are a couple that I know of that you may have better luck with.

Best of luck to you, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

That might have been a little snarky, but the lady was asking for help, not a lecture. The dogs are beautiful. I am sure they are well loved. I try and give people credit for having good intentions, unless I am shown reason to act otherwise.

Cozumel Diving

#7 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

I hope everything works out for you. They are beautiful dogs.

I have an adopted Cozumel mutt and she does great with the winters here in Texas. It does get below freezing sometimes!

Is the main issue the cost of transport?

If so I am sure people might be willing to kick in a few bucks....

#8 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

That might have been a little snarky, but the lady was asking for help, not a lecture. The dogs are beautiful. I am sure they are well loved. I try and give people credit for having good intentions, unless I am shown reason to act otherwise.

No one is saying that the dogs aren't well loved and taken care of. I'm just always reminded of the question that ANY shelter asks before adopting a pet, "What will you do with the animal if you have to move?" I'm sure her intentions are not malicious, if they were, she would have just turned the dogs into the street and told them, "good luck" which happens all.the.time. If the only issue with getting the dogs to her is cost, I'm sure people would be willing to help her out. Where there's will, there's a way.

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

I gotta agree, Erin. Dogs are a major commitment. I cannot imagine acquiring some and not just assuming it was going to be for the life of the dog. Don't get them if you think you might have to dump them. Sorry but I feel that way, too.

That said, best luck in finding them a good new home here.

#10 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

would you be able to bring the dogs back up with you to the states in a few months after saving up the $$? if so, how about finding a foster home for them in the meantime? a 2 or 3 month foster home to get your ducks in a row can reunite your babies with you. if i didn't have 3 dogs already, i would foster for a few months, so i am sure others would too.

dogs are amazing at adapting to climates. please don't consider that as a reason to keep them here. i had a chow mix who had skin issues with the heat. just kept him shaved and he lived a very long 16 years, 10 of them here.

i too am not doubting for a second that you care for them. your asking for a letter shows your care. please find a way to get foster care and get them back with you. i am sure they would appreciate that too.

and i hope you get well.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#11 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:47 AM

It ain't easy to obtain the large kennels required to air transport them. The poster was attempting to obtain kennels back in April. http://www.cozumelmy...h=1

By no means cheap to transport, they were trying to sell household items to pay for the transport of the dogs before having to leave in early June. I have no idea if they had any success in finding the kennels. I'm a sucker for Dobermans (I've had a pair before), two large dogs deserve the space and if I had the situation, I'd take them. I didn't, couldn't have anticipated that my health would prevent me from returning to Cozumel so sometimes unexpected things can happen. Our friend that left Cozumel this past summer is having a real challenge finding a place to buy in Florida that permits any pets and she has only a house cat.

Sometimes people are faced with a situation that forces a heartbreaking decision and choice. These were rescued animals. When the levees starting failing in New Orleans during Katrina, some people chose to risk their own lives to not abandon their pets. Others who had children in their care had no choice other than to evacuate and leave their pets behind in order to keep the children protected. I can't imagine facing that situation. Since this has now spanned six months since they left the island and still without a solution, I imagine they are trying to do the best they can. I don't think it is for lack of caring.

I wish a good home and future for the Dobbies wherever they live.

#12 teacher

teacher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:teaching,reading, cooking, movies, photography, marine biology

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

Wow. I'm speechless. The lack of empathy...

CozyDobermans, I hope you get well soon and I am terribly sorry you have to give up your babies due to unforseen circumstances. If we didn't have a full house I would try to foster for you.

Maybe the people who read this board could get the word out and help find a permanent or foster home for her dogs.
Thanks!

#13 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:23 AM

Wow. I'm speechless. The lack of empathy...

CozyDobermans, I hope you get well soon and I am terribly sorry you have to give up your babies due to unforseen circumstances. If we didn't have a full house I would try to foster for you.

Maybe the people who read this board could get the word out and help find a permanent or foster home for her dogs.

Thank you so much. I cannot believe that empathy and sympathy have been replace by rudeness. Need to find a home for the dogs, not give lectures as to our over-all beliefs per pets.

Cozumel Diving

#14 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

I've posted the information about the dogs, as well as your contact info, cozydobermans, to the Facebook pages that I mentioned above. If anyone responds, I'll forward them to you.

Best of luck on a speedy recovery.

#15 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

CozyDobermans, who currently has these dogs? Where are they located? I have a couple of people that are interested in seeing/meeting them. I'm sending you an email as well.

#16 CozyDobermans

CozyDobermans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

CozyDobermans, who currently has these dogs? Where are they located? I have a couple of people that are interested in seeing/meeting them. I'm sending you an email as well.

Hey everybody, the dogs are currently at the house that we were living at. A friend has been watching them for us but the owner is returning to the island. The house is on 55 / 3 y Morelos. You'd recognize them if you saw them and or us before walking.

Thank you for your support and kind wishes.

For the record, our kids (the dobs) are family and its heart breaking to have to be parted from them. They enjoyed cooked food (even when we barely had food, they always did) beef bones every day and they sleep on the bed and occassionally the hammock with us. They enjoyed 4:30 am walks every day including pre-hurricane days and have been the most cherished of pets. There isn't anything we wouldn't do for them if in our power. We rescued them from the fates that their siblings had. 8 of 11 of Sultans litter died from mal-nutrition and perisites and 4 of Sheba's litter was intentionally put down because they got parisites and the owners of those didn't want to spend the money when they could have easily prevented the sickness in the first place. So thanks for the good intentions, believe me our dogs are well taken care of and well loved. The circumstance doesn't allow for their living here at the moment, it is near impossible to find accomodations that allow big dogs in apartments in our budget. Sucks, I know. Anyway, do keep in touch.

Thanks to those of you who are spreading the word! :) The young man taking care of them, his name is Alex.

#17 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

Thank you for clarifying the situation. I see how it would be impossible to get an apartment to allow the large dogs. We faced this issue when we have had to move for work here in the US.

Sounds like they really do need a permanent situation and I really hope they find it. I can tell you are doing everything possible.

This must be really hard for you as I can tell you love the dogs, but life happens in ways we never expect sometimes.

Wishing for a happy ending for all.

#18 liverbird

liverbird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hey everybody, the dogs are currently at the house that we were living at. A friend has been watching them for us but the owner is returning to the island. The house is on 55 / 3 y Morelos. You'd recognize them if you saw them and or us before walking.

Thank you for your support and kind wishes.

For the record, our kids (the dobs) are family and its heart breaking to have to be parted from them. They enjoyed cooked food (even when we barely had food, they always did) beef bones every day and they sleep on the bed and occassionally the hammock with us. They enjoyed 4:30 am walks every day including pre-hurricane days and have been the most cherished of pets. There isn't anything we wouldn't do for them if in our power. We rescued them from the fates that their siblings had. 8 of 11 of Sultans litter died from mal-nutrition and perisites and 4 of Sheba's litter was intentionally put down because they got parisites and the owners of those didn't want to spend the money when they could have easily prevented the sickness in the first place. So thanks for the good intentions, believe me our dogs are well taken care of and well loved. The circumstance doesn't allow for their living here at the moment, it is near impossible to find accomodations that allow big dogs in apartments in our budget. Sucks, I know. Anyway, do keep in touch.

Thanks to those of you who are spreading the word! :) The young man taking care of them, his name is Alex.

There are some lovely people on Cozumel. Have you contacted the experts at the Cozumel Humane Society. They may know somewhere that they could stay while you sort yourself out.

If is just money, I will gladly contribute. Your story is heartbreaking. Liliana at Rancho Universo may also know someone with plenty of space who would love them.

All the very best of luck to you and the babies.

#19 CozyDobermans

CozyDobermans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Update:

Sultan has a new home, but we still need a home (even if its temporary for the winter months) for Sheba. She's the younger of the two, sweet as can be and feisty! She needs a leader or else she will run the house. :) She's wonderful at protecting and is the perfect alarm against intruders.
She needs a home preferably within the next week or so. If there is someone who can take care of her for the winter and I can keep trying to get a place and at least get her up here with us, that is an option too!
Thanks so much!

#20 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Update:

Sultan has a new home, but we still need a home (even if its temporary for the winter months) for Sheba. She's the younger of the two, sweet as can be and feisty! She needs a leader or else she will run the house. :) She's wonderful at protecting and is the perfect alarm against intruders.
She needs a home preferably within the next week or so. If there is someone who can take care of her for the winter and I can keep trying to get a place and at least get her up here with us, that is an option too!
Thanks so much!

Can you tell me how sghe gets along with other animals, specificcally 2 dogs and a cat who are all very mello?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users