• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 CozyDobermans

CozyDobermans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

Can you tell me how sghe gets along with other animals, specificcally 2 dogs and a cat who are all very mello?

Sheba plays with other dogs well, but she is a rough houser. Sultan is very mild and she gets along well with him, but she grew up with him. She has a personality that demands being top dog, so she can be quite a playful pest sometimes. On the other hand she also grew up with a cat. Unfortunately the cat taunted her too much as a puppy and she refuses to live with a cat, I'm sorry. :( It would never work out for Sheba to live with a cat. Thanks for inquiring. That was an important question.

#22 CozyDobermans

CozyDobermans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Can you tell me how sghe gets along with other animals, specificcally 2 dogs and a cat who are all very mello?

She used to play well with other small dogs, but its been a while since she's had small dogs to play with. Her best small dog friend moved away. We usually dont take her out when there are lots of people out and about. She responds to fear. So we tend to take her out early in the morning just to keep from having problems. We find that lots of people fear large dogs so we just try to be considerate of the masses. :) But she is playful and friendly, but she is very protective especially in the street. Which was great for us since we were two women with no men for protection. She is very loving of family and lets children play with her, but not in the street, because when she's in the street, she's on point.

#23 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

I have copied and pasted the info and pic to another site to try and find her a new home on the island that do not have cats.

Dobbies rule.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#24 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

We have just emailed the owner and if she does not get the email maybe she will see this post and contact us so that we can meet the dog. Full time residence with our own house and no cats or dogs currently and she sounds just right. Hope we have not procrastinated too long and dog gone.
Maybe we can do a walk about and find the male dog walking around and they can lick and sniff.
If you cannot pm then email at westcor@rocketmail.com.
Dog does scuba dive right?Joke

#25 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Dog gone. Came home with us today. What a wonderful girl she is. I must say that whoever made the negative comments about the previous owner could not have been more wrong about her having to leave her babies behind.

#26 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:41 AM

My personal thanks Hillbilly. She looks like she'd be a wonderful addition for any family. Given the state of affairs, she could be a very practical, contributing member of the family. I might suggest putting up multiple Bad Dog - Perro Bravo signs in visible locations. It could be wise to let it be known in the neighbourhood that a Doberman has joined the family. I chose having Dobermans as a breed as I knew that most had very sweet temperaments, but they also carried an element of fear within the criminal community. Many were trained as guard dogs because of their exceptional intelligence. My 110 lb/50 kilo male was as sweet and friendly as could be. His bed was a love-seat couch placed in front of the window by the front door. He could be sound asleep and I'd see door to door solicitors make quick U turns before even knocking. The bad dog sign I used continued to serve even years after he died at age 13 1/2, a remarkable age for the breed.

I considered other breeds or probably the genetically best, a mixed breed mutt, but lacking the "perceived danger visual", I would have trained them to be more on guard and security minded. Just the appearance of Doberman enabled me to have sweet, very mellow, mild mannered pet that still provided a strong element of security.

I hope your kindness is rewarded by a very long friendship.

#27 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

Dog gone. Came home with us today. What a wonderful girl she is. I must say that whoever made the negative comments about the previous owner could not have been more wrong about her having to leave her babies behind.

You mean the one who stalked her, slandering her on various Cozumel websites? What a shame.

Cozumel Diving

#28 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

that's good news. Wish you many happy years with your new best friend.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#29 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Really happy to hear this good outcome. Were there 2 dogs?

#30 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Male dog was adopted before

#31 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

girls are so much nicer. They don't go around marking "mine, mine, mine".

They look so very well cared for, and it was very important to the owner to find good homes.

Anonymous

#32 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Really glad to hear both dogs are adopted for all concerned. It was just a difficult situation all the way around.

Carey - you are sooo right. My male rescue dog from here marks every so often. My female rescue from Cozumel is just the perfect little thing and never does anything in the house.

#33 liverbird

liverbird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

That is fantastic news. I am so sorry for the original owner. It doesn't even bear thinking about, and she must be heartbroken. She wrote so lovingly about her babies.

She can at least take comfort from knowing kindly people who will love her pets are looking after them.

The person who said such mean things should hang his/her head in shame.

Fortunately, other, nicer, people have turned the story around and the best possible outcome has been found.

#34 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

First of all, let me say how delighted I, and everyone else who has been reading this thread, is that this story had a happy ending.

Second of all, no one doubts that the owner loved the dogs and was heartbroken that her circumstances forced her to part with them.

However, to put on my didactic hat for a moment, I feel compelled to add that acquiring large pets or pets that can't be exported like parrots, can be a recipe for tragedy if you can in anyway foresee that you might someday be in a position to not be able to take care of them. As in living in a foreign country where jobs for extraneros are hard to come by and harder to keep. As in living in a foreign country where the medical options are not what one might feel one needs if one became ill.

In summary, if your life circumstances are in any way iffy and you can imagine having to make a radical change like moving to another country and you can also imagine that you might not have enough money to support the pets in the new country, Don't Acquire them in the first place. Get a smaller dog instead, one that can be carried with you in the cabin, for example, and which many more apartment complexes in the US will allow.

I expect this heartbroken owner, saved by some very kind and loving folks here, has already thoroughly absorbed that lesson. But perhaps it should just be mentioned to save other people down the line some heartache.

#35 CozyDobermans

CozyDobermans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Thank you everyone for your support, your concern and inquiries. Both Sheba and Sultan have new homes. We pray they be loved and well looked after and hopefully we'll get to see them again if we get to visit, health permitting.
God Bless.

#36 liverbird

liverbird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

The very best of luck to you CozyD. You did a fantastic job finding a good home for your beloved pets. Personally, I don't think people can foresee every lousy thing that may happen to them in the future, and I'm glad your dogs had you as an owner for as long as they did.

I hope you get well, and get to see S and S frequently and can be assured that they are happy. It sounds like they will be loved and cared for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users