The Bugs Finally Won.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jim912

Jim912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, teaching scuba and working on our house.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

Several years ago we planted three small plants on our north fence wall in an effort to add some color as well as hide the neighbor's unfinished wall. With little TLC they took. I did tie numerous runners off of every nail, screw and piece of wire that I could on the wall as well as adding about two dozen myself.

Dark green leaves with beautiful yellow tulip type flowers. The lizards and iguanas had a great place to hide and the hummingbirds were there almost every day. Well last year our little green wall was attacked by hundreds of butterflies or moths. Not really sure we weren't here. My friend called the exterminator and they came and sprayed. But not before the hundreds of eggs that had been layed turned into caterpillars and began eating.

I about two or three days they ate every leaf. Luckily the root system was good and about 50 percent of the foliage came back. But lots of dead vines and limbs all over the wall.

About two weeks ago the same thing happened. Attack of the butterflies. At this point we had spent nearly $100 for two treatments that did little good. So I decided to cure the problem.

I pulled down all the vines and cut the trunks which were about as big around as my forearms down to the dirt. Eighteen 55 gallon bags of vines and leaves are gone. Time to get something that is more resistant.

We had a huge wall of bogenvilla on the south wall until a storm blew most of it down last summer.

Time to pressure wash the walls, put on some new paint and then go plant shopping.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Wow, Jim! 18 55 gal bags? You don't mess around do you?

Have you considered monedita? It's like ivy but very fast growing. Many of our walls are now totally covered with it and completely green. Requires no care. No flowers just these weird apple like fruit when mature. Only problem is that, over time and when it's grown up and is mature and has completely covered your walls with greenery, it will begin to grow out from the wall and needs to be pruned. Ours has to be clipped back about every two months. To me it is worth it because it really does the job of making the walls cool and green.

I should also add that it is a piece of cake to grow. Just stick some little pieces in the ground which is what we did way back when and watch it go. If you want some to try, we have a ton to spare. Email me.

#3 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Drat. What I've found works wonders on caterpillers of all kinds is Pyola, an organic mix of pyrtherins and canola oil. It also knocks down bean beetles, aphids, rose slugs and just about everything else. We get ours from Gardens Alive.

RIP your lovely shrubs.

#4 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

where is gardens alive?

#5 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

http://www.gardensal...t-spray/p/8101/

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

http://www.gardensalive.com/pyola-insect-spray/p/8101/

The problem is that most companies aren't ready or able to ship to Mexico. Amazon is doing a pretty fab job, I must say and I was able to get some stuff I needed badly like NOW bone meal and an enzyematic urine neutralizer liquid from them.

However, what with house training two puppies, I ran out of the enzyme stuff my vet can order and her shipment was delayed. So, in desperation, I ordered another bottle of the liquid neutralizer and paid to have it shipped extra fast.

Wahl, I guess it was an amazon affiliate seller in Chattanooga and not amazon that shipped and fulfilled the order because that bottle has been sitting in Cancun awaiting missing import papers since Dec 21. Shipped via UPS. Amazon usually uses DHL and that service is great -- as long as you don't mind paying about double all told including taxes, aduana and international shipping all of which is taken care of by amazon.

Word to the wise on anyone who wants to ship from amazon, I think you are better off just using the standard shipping. Those orders come purty fast usually.

Sorry if this is a bit off the track but I DID want to remind people that we still have limited access to a lot of products that are taken for granted in the US.

#7 Jim912

Jim912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, teaching scuba and working on our house.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:40 AM

Speaking of not finding stuff and having limited access. Carey you posted some time ago that you could not find any Roundup on Cozumel. I had some shipped down with some other things a few months ago. If you still need some let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users