Cop A De Oro (Allamanda) Yellow Leaves

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 J belle

J belle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Family, gardening, swimming, snorkeling, being on the ocean any way possible

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

My cop a de oro has yellowing leaves. From what I have read I think it is because it needs fertilizer. 10 10 10 is recommended . What would that be called here and where could I find it? Thanks

#2 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:36 AM

Which leaves are yellowing? Are they just the older, mature leaves or is it affecting new growth as well? Allamandas prefer fertile and non-alkaline soils, the very opposite of what exists in Cozumel. The natural "soil" in Cozumel tends to be poor in nutrients, very alkaline and heavy in clay that prevents drainage. I'm not sure what might be available & where on the island, but anything is easy to order and have shipped in via Estafeta. An old landlord of ours grew Staghorn Ferns as a hobby. He had all of his growing supplies shipped from Cuernavaca.

Plants tend to "speak to you" about their needs if you can learn the language. Yellowing can be from lack of fertilizer, but for many different other reasons as well. Too wet or too dry produces near identical yellowing symptoms. The soil or lack of and the poor drainage due to clays can make gardening a challenge unless you stick to local plants adapted or tolerant to the conditions. When I was in the tropical plant business in Florida decades ago, clients would often ask if "we talked to out plants as they looked so good". No we LISTEN to the plants and they tell us what they want and need.

Good luck. Try good fertilizer, but look at the drainage aspect as well. You can take a look here: http://listado.merca...in-fertilizante

Personally I like Peters Special 20-20-20 as a good basic for most everything. It works well sprayed on foliage besides adding to the ground. Plants absorb nutrients from their roots as well as their leaves.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

I would take some of the yellowing leaves to the garden center on 7&25 and ask them what they would recommend.

It might be a natural process, it could be a infestation, or lack of nutrients.

I used to buy fertilizer at their old location, so here's hoping they still have it available, or could recommend something.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users