• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

I just bought some pepper spray Cafe Beirut (30 across from the old Ace Hardware location).

I bought the small spray and it was $150p's. They have 3 different sizes and the larger one looks like it could take out a battalion.

The small spray will easily fit in your pocket.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

I usually just ask for the clear, oily habanero at at the table but I guess you can bring your own. :P

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Habanero's would stain my pocket which is where I keep my pepper spray.

It's twice as expensive here, but it would cost me $600 usd's to fly back to the states to get it for $5.00.

You live with what ya got!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the info - answers my thought of whether PS was legal to have in MX. I saw someone else mention wasp spray, re the recent muggings, but who is going to carry that big can around? :blink:

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

the small canister is about 1 inch taller then a small cell phone.

We don't have the Wasp Spray here anyway, and your right...not something you would carry around with you.

You need to keep this stuff in your pocket. You can't ask the mugger to "wait a minute I need to get my pepper/wasp spray out of my purse so that I can squirt you" as you are being mugged.

I did take a picture of the small size canister compared to a small cell phone if anybody is interested.
islandgirl@ecozumel.net

Anonymous

#6 3gatitos

3gatitos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

I just bought some pepper spray Cafe Beirut (30 across from the old Ace Hardware location).

I bought the small spray and it was $150p's. They have 3 different sizes and the larger one looks like it could take out a battalion.

The small spray will easily fit in your pocket.

what is the nearest cross street on 30?

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

30th near 5.

Anonymous

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

what is the nearest cross street on 30?

Cafe Beirut is on the west side of the 30 avenida in the middle of the block between Morelos and Calle 5. So if you are travelling south on 30 from Juarez, you pass Calle 3, then Morelos and then there it is on your right before you get to the corner with Calle 5. There's a pollo place right next door, then a fish store, then a pool store, then a Chinese takeout, a photo studio and a computer supply store.

As you may have guessed, I go here a lot. I love their yogurt (labin), yogurt cheese (labne) and assorted yogurt-based dips. Tabouli is good too and they always have some interesting items that are not available anywhere else.

#9 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

None of our law enforcement members have made any comments, I feel a responsibility to bring up my major concerns regardless of how much I am bashed for questioning this.

Has someone gotten a legal opinion from a qualified legal authority such as Gisela Rodriguez regarding the legality of this product? Is it legal to carry, is it legal to use in public and just what are the potential legal ramifications if used on a juvenile? Merely being available for sale to the public, does not necessarily mean it is legal to carry, use, or for that matter, it doesn't necessarily guarantee it is even legal to sell. Who knows? I'd trust Gisela's legal advice.

I had hoped to see comments or opinions from any members who are active or retired law enforcement. I would expect a varied opinion as to the effectiveness and to the wisdom of carrying such an item. Like any other article intended for self defense, if a person is not trained, experienced and prepared to use it under the most extreme conditions, it is a risk of it being used against you.

Among experts, there are real mixed opinions regarding the wisdom of carrying Bear Spray. Just what is the potential benefit vs the potential risk as more people are accidentally injured by the unintended discharge than are successful in using to repel a charging bear. There is the aspect of making sure you have the nozzle pointed in the right direction and wind isn't going to blow it back into your face. Bear Spray and assorted personal defense pepper sprays, same difference.

Keep in mind that whether you are confronted by a angry 400 pound Brown Bear sow with a cub or a thug on the street hopped up on crack, methamphetamine, assorted inhalation solvents or the (brand new, gaining in popularity) assorted European club drugs, you will be faced with a sudden, adrenaline charged situation that would take a miracle to maintain your wits and react fast enough. Bear spray and human defense pepper spray are the same active ingredient and I feel (My Humble Opinion Only) that a hopped up punk and a Brown Bear would be pretty closely equal in menace and threat to life and limb.

Early this Fall, my dear friend and neighbour was charged by a Brown Bear mama with cub. She has 30 years plus experience at dealing with bears. She wrote the National Parks Service guide used to inform the public about risk reduction and emergency self defense measures when attacked by bears. She is regarded as an EXPERT in these matters. What did she do and how did she react to a sudden deafening roar not three feet from her face? First she tripped and fell down on her face. From that position she could see the three inch long yellow claws one foot from her face and knew she was with a Grizzly, she thought she was about to die. She broke every rule in the book that she wrote. I have heard of an incident where a long experienced, highly trained police officer bent his trigger back to the guard as he forgot to take the safety off his fire arm. His partner dropped the human "suspect" aggressor. These are examples of how two, highly trained and experienced professionals responded in an unexpected emergency.

So true, you can't ask a punk to wait for you to get the canister from your purse. Bear spray doesn't work either when it is in a backpack. A pocket isn't much better as the only proper way to have a chance is if it is in your hand and ready to discharge. And hopefully you will be upwind and it won't be blown back into your face.

A good brief overview of pepper spray : http://en.wikipedia....ki/Pepper_spray Mexico is not mentioned as to legality and I would always go by the advice of a legal authority (again, Gisela could provide an informed opinion) rather than wikipedia or a yogurt shop.

Sorry (not) if my lengthy post offends, but there are some very important issues here, not to be taken lightly. If confirmed that it is legal to own, carry and use, I suggest that detailed information about emergency treatment if accidentally sprayed, be printed and carried with the device. Since I have first hand experience with assorted mace, pepper sprays and tear gas fogs commonly used by governments to stop public protests, best to have it printed for someone else to read and render assistance. You can lessen or shorten reaction time, but basically it just takes time to wear off and tears to flush you eyes. I was so glad I had counted parking meters in advance so I could feel my way to my destination during a very heavy fog.

#10 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

according to commandante sergio terraza, carrying and using pepper spray in self defense is legal. you can not beat up someone you catch breaking into your home. but if he threatens you with bodily harm, you can defend yourself with the proper means. regarding juveniles... that is a good question to get answered.
when i run the north end, my spray is a finger tip away on my belt. i also do NOT carry with me any music nor a cell phone most days. the less i have, the less they want to steal.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

I have two perspectives for you.

First, just carrying may some form of comfort. A safety talisman if you will. That is a good thing. On any given night LOTS of people don't get attacked. If they feel safer carrying spray, good for them right? If they do get attacked and the spray doesn't help, they probably aren't worse off. Now this is completely different advice for say carrying a handgun. You don't want to lose control of a gun. Losing your pepper spray and getting hit with it will suck, but it won't kill you.

Second, you are quite right that things tend to go to heck as soon as the stress hits and something happens. I have suggested with pepper that you buy a couple cannisters and then shoot one to at least familarize yourself with the performance characteristics. Delivery systems vary. If you have a decent straight stream, you don't want to shove it someone's face. Too much propellent lands will not evaporate and the effects of the pepper slowed. Plus you are offering the can for the taking. Bad delivery make a guy mad without disabling him. It isn't as easy as you think to get a good delivery. You need a little surprise. Get a water squirt bottle and a friend and try to hit them in the face while they avoid it. Whatever, it makes my point, use the surprise to get gone. Bad guy covers up, give him a quick shot of liquid hell and beat feet. He backs up, hang some in the air and get gone.

I also would suggest using visualization as you walk around. You imagine an attacker and imagine your response. It is a very valuable technique to try to avoid the kind of problems you brought up. You have to keep in mind that all pepper will do is maybe help you get away. It wont win the fight and leave the bad guy laying on the ground. You cause the attacker surprise and throw off his plan and hopefully that will let you escape. If it doesn't, he will be pretty pissed you sprayed him.

You are also right you need to be ready to deal with getting it on yourself. Seems like that always happens. And then one you get it all off and you take a shower you realize it wasn't all gone. There is one you don't forget....:P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#12 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scubadiving, underwater photography. Landscape and people photography

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

[
I'll second what Chief says since were both cops and say if yo're gonna carry pepper spray when he walk through town you really have to be aware of your surroundings and whats going on around you. Look people in the eye let, act confident let them know you've seen them and that you're aware of them. As an Instructor for the use of pepper sray for my old department. Like Chief says pratice with a water bottle or better yet but two bottles of the pepper sray and practice with one. If you have to sray aim for the eyes and once yo've sprayed the bad guy it's time to leave dodge cause sometimes it takes a mintue to really hit them.

As for legal when I had my accident and the were inventoring my car the cop doing the inventory saw my pepper spray asked if it was gas,I said yes and he said ok no problem. I've been sprayed several times in training and it sucks :( If I had to choose between getting sprayed or hit with the taser I'll take the taser anytime cause once you turn it off the pain stops but pepper spray is the gift that keeps giving. :)
Breath in Breath out move on

#13 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

So when in doubt, use the pepper spray, then a couple of quick kicks to the ribs or kidneys and just walk away? "Nothing to see here folks, move along".

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#14 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Err... maybe not. My experience it don't take that much of the fight out of them if you get in range. We always still did the rolling around, just at an advantage. Taser is so much nicer and easier on the uniforms....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users