5 replies to this topic

#1 fisktwo

fisktwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:scuba, french bulldogs, reef tanks, information technology

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

I will be making a solo trip to Cozumel in March and I want to dive. I am PADI certified. I did my open water certification dives in cozumel, two years ago - and a couple of extra dives beyond that. But that's it. I have not been diving since. I plan on taking the refresher course while in Cozumel. I don't really want to charter an entirely private dive excursion, but I would like to hire a divemaster, or experienced diver - to dive with me and be my partner - in a group dive setting. Does this make sense? Are there operators that offer something like that?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that you might have.

#2 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Yes just about every shop can and will tack care of you. Just be sure to remind the dm. When you get to the boat sometimes they forget.
You are smart to be careful but no need to be fearful rely on your training the more you dive the better your skills will become.
It is some what like riding a bike it comes back fast.

I will be happy to give you the name of the shop I dive with if you would like.
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#3 fisktwo

fisktwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:scuba, french bulldogs, reef tanks, information technology

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

thanks for the reply islandbums! i've got something in the works with a local divemaster and i'm really excited! can't wait to dive again.

#4 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

My .02 cents...

1. If you have unlimited shore diving, why not grab a tank and get in the pool and refresh yourself? After you’re confortable, if you’re staying somewhere where there is shore diving, take a shallow shore dive.

2. Skills you really need to refresh include mask clearing, buoyancy, ascent, buddy breathing. If you use a computer, no need for a tables refresher course.

3. Hiring a divemaster to watch over you for one day? Maybe. I Just do not really see the benefit other than your peach of mind.

4. Agree to let the DM and the captain know you’re just getting back into it...

5. Please invest in a $20 safety sausage and a glow stick or small $20 LED flash light you can take with you (even on day dives).

MC
PADI DM-51689
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

I think if you are a little rusty, hire a private DM. It isn't expensive and can add a great comfort factor. It isn't so much about what the DM does for you as it is YOU knowing the DM is right there for you.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#6 BobinPA

BobinPA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, travelling, history, boating

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

If hiring a DM gives you peace of mind, then it's worth it. My first experience diving on Coz years ago was not great, as I hired a private DM not affiliated with a shop (gypsy), and the boat she hired was not there when I surfaced. Coz is really different in that it is drift diving, and the one thing you (could) experience, as I did, is that safety stops are a bit more challenging with no line to hang on....but I'll say this, diving in Coz will make you a better diver, as you will learn to deal with currents.

I use Dive Paradise...they are an excellent dive shop, and big enough to put you on a boat of your choice, which fits your needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users