• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kirista

Kirista

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Hey guys, been a while but we are looking into a September trip for 10 days. But, I can't seem to find much with regards to flights. We fly out of IAH or Hobby. Anyone have some advice on what days, ect flights are moving in and out of coz via Houston. I really don't want to fly out of Dallas and I hate the bag drag if it's avoidable. Thanks so much in advance!

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

United flies daily from IAH to CZM nonstop. In high season, 7 days per week. In low seasons like Septhambre, I believe they only fly 3 or 4 flights per week.

American flies one nonstop per day from DFW into CZM but I have no idea what their low season plans are.

US Airways and Delta also fly directly into CZM from Charlotte and Atlanta respectively but, again, don't know low season schedules.

All those options will save you the bag drag.

Actually I don't mind the bag drag coming down so much. I mean I would much prefer to come straight into CZM obviously. But it's the going BACK out of Cancun that is the trial because you have to leave so early to catch the ferry and the bus or else take Maya Air over which involves also another leg on the journey home.

Sometimes I'll fly out of Cancun and back directly into CZM if the connections and price are way better at the mo'. The price on that multiple destination trip -- CUN to a US hub and US hub to CZM, that is.

#3 Kirista

Kirista

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

I suppose it will be best to just watch into late spring/ early summer and make mybdecision then. I just hate the thought of a 6 hour drive to Dallas to basically fly right back over Houston so to speak. I've already booked the condo as if all else fails we will fly in via cancun. Thanks so much for all the info!

#4 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Try using Kayak.com. It shows all the airlines except Southwest and the price it shows is with all taxes etc. so you know exactly how much you're going to pay. You can enter your dates now and set up a email alert and it will notify you if the price goes up or down. I use it for every flight we take and it works great. Enjoy!

#5 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

Septhambre, the word Carey used, once just referred to the three dead weeks of low tourism experienced after U.S. Labor Day. It has become more of September hungry, October starving and into November of "wish people would sprinkle some bird seed to eat". The last few years the number of International flights has dropped to seven per week. After mid October, the number of flights slowly increases.

"United/Continental" has had at least three of those flights so Houston is the best departure city in number of flights. American (which is hard to trust) had two flights some of the time, with the mentioned Charlotte and Atlanta carriers were once a week flights. If the island hadn't gotten back the Mexico City connection recently, along with Mayair, they could have turned off the lights and rolled up the runways. At least three days per week, zero International arrivals and the Aviomar shuttle van drivers are starving.

For people departing from other cities, but connect to United and Houston, check your reservations online and watch out for changes as to departure times, your departure dates and your destination. It seems to have become the rule not the exception, that all the carriers freely make changes and don't bother to give any notifications. Or if some notification is given (consider yourself lucky) AND if your flight involves a second carrier, good luck! Houston is the only departure city that I consider safe from your destination being changed to Cancun or your vacation shortened or made to last a lot longer.

Your insult to endure is hearing that people on the plane with you are paying $200-300 dollars less than you. You know the rule, the shorter the distance and time, the more expensive the flight.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

AirTran has a flight out of Hobby, via Atlanta into Cancun.

You want to take a look at the Route Map first.

At that time of the year it will be limited availability on flight days.

The link below allows you to click on the city of departure, then you fill in the rest.
http://airtran.innos...1edqi55umhax155))/DEFAULT.ASPX

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

I'm that finding fares from DFW to CZM are through the roof right now... I'm trying to do things with FF miles this year... I'll prob not make CZM this year due to flight costs when I can do the exotic like Maui for 90K miles.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#8 divern2h20

divern2h20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

MarkC wife and I noticed this with FF miles last July, we've been coming to Coz that way for years. Sitting on 400k AA miles.
With AA you can't get a 1 day flight from St.Louis unless you use the same amount as going to Hawaii. Started using a Capitol One card instead , at least you can use your miles when you want.
We just got back from Coz but used Orbitz for flight and hotel.
Must say last 2 weeks we're as nice as any we've seen in January!

#9 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

WE just paid $450 for DFW to Coz in May..........

#10 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

I know right??? Since when did "overnight flights" become an acceptable option??? Or a 7 PM arrival where you lose a full day of vacay???
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users