• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 smack

smack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

my family and I will be in Coz. for 7 days the 1st week of June. We have went deep sea fishing twice before but at the end of July. Can we expect to have better chances of catching different kinds of fish at the beginning of June instead of late July? I am also looking for some good and reliable referals to charter a 6 or 8 hour fishing trip.

#2 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Make sure you go on a day that's sunny.

I do not have a rec for a charter.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#3 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

I prefer squalish weather.

Cozumel Diving

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

I don't know the fishing scene that well, but we have been out a couple times with the Kay Kib. They were really nice and we had a good time with them. Boat has a large cabin for comfort and all. The mate did say he liked the rain we had in December but the surface water was still to warm for his liking. They were upfront with us about what our chances were. We got a NICE wahoo and some dorado in August. December was just a snapper and small tuna. Still we didn't get skunked... :P

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#5 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

the best fishing is from march til july. first week of june should be pretty good as tournaments are still going on. do NOT plan on a weekend, since almost every weekend will have boats out for the tourneys.
kay kib, with ruben as your first mate, is an excellent choice. there are so many out there. our store gets people chartered on boats depending on their budget, needs, and the type of fishing they do. we do not work with just one company... very custom. the boats listed in the tours we trust section are great too.
all depends on what kind of fishing you want to do and how big is your wallet. (fishing ain't cheap)
also, fishing is fishing. ya never know what you will catch. sometimes just a great day at sea. whomever you choose, remember the crew is working whether you catch anything or not and if their service is good, please make sure to leave a tip.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#6 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

I only mentioned sunny weather so the sun is shining... The more sun penetrating through the waters, the better the tackle can be seen.

Take plenty of sunscreen and do not be too upset when a big shark eats your catch before u get it in the boat :P
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

kay kib, with ruben as your first mate, is an excellent choice.

Reuben really was a great mate and Jorge was a great capitan. Taught us alot about fishing there.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#8 mrscoul

mrscoul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

Hi smack,

We tried these guys at Christmas and it was first class...

www.captainronscozumelboatcharters.com

Have fun

Lyne

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Went back out on Kaykib last week. Got a Big Eye Tuna that fed 9, but should have fed 12. LARGE servings of tasty fresh tuna. Took it to La Choza. They charge half of their fish dish price if you bring the fish. Tasty....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#10 BamaGram

BamaGram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

I was going to start a new thread to ask also but thought I would post on this one. We will be there May 16-23 and will be diving with Dive Palancar but we also wanted to do a half day deep sea fishing trip. Were gonna look into these two recommendations. Any others?

#11 luvfish

luvfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

Another charter company that has a great reputation is Albatros charters info@cozumel-fishing.com
Boat capitain is Pedro. He holds the record from last year catching a 180lb yellow fin tuna.
The owner's name is rita
Hope you have good luck when you go out!!!!!

#12 sherrintxs

sherrintxs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:42 AM

We booked yesterday for my husband and the guys to go fishing the 2nd week of June with Kay Kib. I have seen a lot of great reviews about them.

CVCHIEF,thank you for saying where you took your fish to be cooked, we were wondering about that.

#13 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:52 AM

We have also taken fish to El Fish and Parrilla Mission. Both did a great job as well. The wahoo cooked by El Fish was fantastic.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#14 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

We took a barracuda we caught to the chef at Kinta. He prepared it 3 different ways with sauces. Some of the best seafood I have ever eaten.
And "yes" it was in season to eat barracuda.

#15 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

And "yes" it was in season to eat barracuda.

I was gonna ask! Do you know what the rule is?? I've forgotten it!

#16 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

Barracuda, you have to take the liver and rub it on your lips and see if they get numb, right? I was told that was the fisherman's way of avoiding ciguatera.

We just put the barracuda back when we caught them. I don't like liver....:P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#17 John Matt

John Matt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Living in paradise!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

Anyone interested in splitting a charter out of Caleta? I have a good Captain that I've been fishing with over the years but it's just my wife and I so it's a little expensive. Anytime this week or next would work....

JM

#18 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

We have a boat here in CT so I certainly understand fish are not guaranteed. However, last year we went on a deep sea fishing trip for 4 with Cozumel Charters and did not even get a bite, a few days later we went again with Coz Charters for flat fishing again no fish, unless you count the bait fish that was bit in half;) They were 2 VERY expensive boat rides (did I mention we already have a boat at home;) 

So this year, only a few weeks ago actually, we did another deep sea with Tiger Aguilara and again not even one bite...BUT big difference is on Tigers boat if you do not catch you do not pay..of course we still tipped him and JJ well for the effort and gas.  There is our story.

#19 John Matt

John Matt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Living in paradise!

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

I've been fishing on the Second Front with Capt. Luis for 8 years  now and we always have taken fish.....Even if we have to resort to bottom fishing Of course there are bad days but I bring my own tackle which helps a lot.... Most of the local boats have trouble with keeping good rigs due to the cost.... We get plenty of Mahi & Wahoo, even a Billfish here and there on Aliens... I really like the Yellow/Green, Silver, and Blue/White. I'm always open to sharing a charter if anyone wants to go.... We can use my rigs.....

#20 luvfish

luvfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

Hi John---my soon to be husband and I have a boston whaler fishing boat and he has been fishing as a boat capitain in Cozumel for 15 plus years now. We take locals out for the price tofill boat plus $100.00 If you are interested give us a call... Pedro's cell 9871174447 or my number is 9871074869 also number in casa 872-7201

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users