• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 marcalan

marcalan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:58 AM

Can someone tell me the name of the park that is located closer to town where you can swim with the dolphins. (Not the one at Chankanaab) I saw a site online called Dolphinaris that says they have a park in Cozumel, but when I did a live chat with them, they said they didn't offer swimming with the dolphins in Cozumel, only in Cancun and the Isla Mujeres (sp??). We were just in Cozumel on a cruise and I remember seeing a really nice facility on our way to town, but I can't remember the name of it. I was wanting to contact them to get rates for when we visit in July. Any help would be great.

Thanks

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:34 AM

http://www.dolphinaris.com/Cozumel/

It is just south of Chedrui's supper market

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 marcalan

marcalan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

That's what I thought. I just got off of a live chat with someone on their website and they told me they didn't offer swimming with the dolphins in Cozumel. Very odd. I'm going to contact them again. Thanks for the help.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

geez, somebody is misinformed...you now know more then there live chat person...

I would also suggest that you NOT ask this question on TA...You will receive nothing but HATE posts.

What everyone seems to forget is any animal, or mammal living in the wild has a life expectancy of half of what it is in captivity.

Anybody ever watch Wild Kingdom?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 marcalan

marcalan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:09 AM

Now I'm more confused than ever. I contacted them again via live chat and they again tell me that they don't have swimming with the dolphins in Cozumel. Their site clearly lists Cozumel, but when you click on the reservation button, it doesn't show an option for Cozumel. Does anyone know how I can contact the park in Cozumel directly to get information?

Thanks

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

okay, I see the problem. This Swim with the Dolphins program is focused on Cruise ship clients...therefore they can not book online, or provide any information to you directly.

that's the problem.

If you want to book, you MUST go through the cruise line, if you are staying on the island whole different story.

Yes, they have the whole dolphin experience. In fact, you can watch most of what is going on from the fence outside of the facility.

Anonymous

#7 marcalan

marcalan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:18 AM

I think you're right. Sounds like we'll just have to wait until we get there to get the details. Thanks for your help.

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:23 AM

it's a common problem/practice here.

For most tours, or events the best times are reserved for cruisers. However, in your case, you can go directly to the facility, do NOT tell them your on a ship and you may be accommodated after the cruisers.

But, I will add, the "fins" are only available for so many shows and interactions per day.

If you want to do this, and you are on a ship...then book though your ship.

Anonymous

#9 MusicMan

MusicMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:42 PM

Glad to see someone actually ANSWERING someone's question about SWD without a lecture included...
Cruisin' toward retirement!!

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:48 AM

Nobody asked for my opinion...they asked a question.

The "fins" here are well taken care of, and in fact have had a dolphin birth at the facility...

No way would an mammal/animal under stress, give birth.

Yes, I love seeing them in the wild...in 25 years I have only seen a few.

So, why aren't these same people not taking up the issue with the animal circus that has been in town...they are wild animals...

I have got to say, these where the best looking animals I have ever seen.

No, I don't like seeing them in cages, but if they where out on the Savanna, their life expectation would be much less.

People have the tendency to put "human emotions" to animals. The only thing an animals is "programmed" for is survival. They don't sit around contemplating.

In the animal kingdom it is kill or be killed. That's the reality.

Anonymous

#11 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:14 PM

Even if I agreed with Coz2wonder..it still makes me sad. I'm glad that the circus animals look well cared for. I think it's wrong to haul them around the country and be forced to perform.

#12 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:47 PM

Coz2Wonder,

You said you had only seen a few in 25 years. It reminded me of the 2nd time my wife and I went on a little resort dive in Cozumel. We were swimming along at about 20 feet or so, close to the bottom just looking around and I heard a tink, tink, tink sound. I looked over and the dive instructor was tapping on his tank with his buoy board, waving his hands and pointing. When I looked where he was pointing, pretty close to him and my wife, there was a pod of 7 fully grown, either dolphins or porpoises, swimming by just as gracefully as you please. When we surfaced later, the dive instructor was very excited and said he had only seen that a few times and he dove several times a day. I feel very luck to have seen it and have talked to many people that dive regularly and have never seen such a sight. It was very strange. I felt like I would be powerless to defend myself if these animals decided to mess with me. They were very large and in thier element and I was definantly not in mine. I actually had a camera with me and just watched as they swam by and never thought to take a photo. Oh well, I will never forget the memory.

Sam

#13 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

they are truly captivating...they where Dolphins, we do not have Porpoises here.

it is truly a hard call. I understand all the arguments.

I have not done the SWD, because of the cost. But, I would NEVER deny anyone else from doing it.

What I have been able to learn, most of the "fins" have been born in captivity.

For those whose heart are beating out of control...we capture horses, we have captured dogs, and cats...

I am not being flip, but I think this could qualify as the "Fipper Syndrom".

I do NOT want any animal hurt..but from what I have SEEN...these critters are not hunting for food, nor are they threatened by any predators.

I am just waiting for the hate mail now. I already have a 2inch file from one person...

Anonymous

#14 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:35 PM

the chankanaab dolphins now have sundays as a day off, so they actually can rest. last summer they started having very good deals for locals, like 300 pesos and a kid goes free with every paying adult. my kid has gone twice. it was just us when i went with him, and the guide. we did the discovery, learning about them and actually interacting with luis (the dolphin) for about 45 minutes.
after the orca trainer death, i saw a very good interview with jack hanna discussing these types of venues. most people will never see an animal in the wild and while these places and zoos, etc are money makers, they are also providing kids and adults alike to see them up close, to learn about them, and to become embassadors for those who are out in the wild.
there are 2 sides and both can be taken to the extreme. jack hanna eloquently found a way to show the middle ground. i am against the stingrays, for the physical manipulation they endured.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#15 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:05 AM

Nauticab thanks for that last post. In the internet world of the dolphin fanatics it took courage. I am so sick of these Dolphin fanatics/hypocrites, who in most cases are meat eaters and only really care about protecting the "cute" animals and it is that hypocracy that makes me dislike and disagree with them. I do not know how many times I have been to local restaurants enjoying lobster or steak with a tourist while they curse and slam the the Dolphin program. The thinking of these people kill me. I watched the gut wreching movie "The Cove". To me after watching these poor animals be slaughtered in such an inhumane way, I started thinking that the ones sold to zoos were the lucky ones, as their mates ended up as sushi. How we pick and choose which animals we eat and which we love is beyond me. I love dogs and have 3. Other cultures eat dogs. I can (must) live with that fact. It is not for me to judge.

When I was a kid I lived in a city that had a zoo with a touching area, where you could even feed giraffes. I was taken there every summer at least twice. Then I saw the aquarium in Chicago, which really made me start thinking about diving, even though I was fairly young. I now love and respect almost all animal life (I am not going to lie and say I love fire ants, etc.). My zoo experiences made me aware of something that I was not previously aware of...the incredible variety and beauty of nature. I truly feel that the thousands of children that visit the dolphin exhibit will remember that experience the rest of their lives and will make them much more sympathetic to all life. Outside of Dolphin Discovery most people would never, ever see a dolphin, let alone get to touch one. I honestly believe that if it were not for my childhood experiences that I would have never become a diver and probably would not be living here now.

Cozumel Diving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users