• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TERRY7133

TERRY7133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

I understand that this topic has been covered in the past but I thought that I would share my recent experience with a dentist in Czm.

For several years I had used Dr. Arteta on 11th for minor dental work and had been happy with him and his charges. This past November I came to Cozumel and needed what I considered to be major dental work ( two crowns and possibly one root canal along with several very minor cavities ). I had seen my dentist here in the USA two weeks before my trip and --- one crown and root canal was going to be almost $ 2000.00.

So , I decided to try and have the work done in Cozumel while I was there.
Because Charles had shared a bad experience which he had had with Arteta ( on this forum two to three years ago ) , I decided to to do more research.

Although, my experience with Arteta had been good to this point , , the work that I needed was more serious than I had required before . With the scarcity of pain medication in Czm , my fears just ran wild ! Charles' post was informative and fairly innocuous ( towards Arteta ) but it did give me pause and make me a little apprehensive.

Paula had posted here about her five year experiences with Jasmin at Medidental , so I decided to check out Jasmin . I could not have been more pleased with Jasmin ! I had two crowns , several cavities , and a nightguard done for under $ 1000.00.
usd .

I understand that everyone in czm has their favorite dentists ( and this is no slam on Arteta ) but I am thankful for both Charles and Paula's post !

There was such a stark difference ( in all areas ) between Aeteta and
Medidental . Jasmin , the clinic , and her services were just a cut above of what I expected.

I have waited 6 weeks to post this---- just to insure that I did not have any problems with Jasmin's work before posting.

So far so good !

#2 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

I am glad you had a good experience. I have a little work to be done in February when I get on the island. I don't use that dentist but from past experience a filling costs $600 pesos and a root canal with a crown is $3600 pesos. Pain has never been an issue as they always numb the tooth very well. I have even had a problem with a filling falling out and they replaced it with no charge. The only problem I had with the one dentist I used before was getting him to show up on time or not cancel the appointment because he was out kite boarding on that day.

#3 TERRY7133

TERRY7133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Steve,
Good luck with your dental work ! I am getting ready to hit the bed ( old age is hell ) but I wanted to give you a little more info. on pricing -- I think that I paid 250 pesos per cavity and the crowns were 320 pesos --- no root canal.

But for me , It was not so much pricing as it was confidence and peace of mind .

I have to return February 5th (to hopefully finish my fm-3 ) and I intend to have Jasmin check out everything .

I know that you are very social and busy when you are in Czm --- but if you have the time or care to -- maybe we can have a cervasa while you are there .

Safe travels !

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

I have been very happy with the work done by Dr. Miguel Peraza Peniche, calle 3 between 25&30. I thought the quality of his work was excellent, but was impressed with his attention to the mechanics and engineering of his work. My wife had both crowns and a bridge made by him. He's Spanish only or our appointments were 100% in Spanish.

My wife had also used Dra.Yazmin Ibrahim-Mohamed Alfie for crowns and a bridge. When she was having additional crown work recently, she decided to stay with Dra. Yazmin because of the "in house" dental lab in the interest of speed and avoiding the delay time of dental labs in Mexico City or Merida. I believe that only the group of dentists operating under the umbrella of Dr Luis' Medidental complex use the only on the island lab for preparing crowns and appliances.

If I had been able last year, or if I can at some time in the future, my intentions would be to use Yazmin as well. Crowns made in labs in D.F. or Merida, the time in shipping has never been a problem, but at each step in the process, there is an 8-10 day period which can add almost a month extra from start to finish time. So being 100% satisfied with another dentist, I'd still change to eliminate the multiple back and forth shipping delays.

Not to correct Terry, but I have seen mucho confusion of her name. She is Mexican born of an Egyptian father and the name seems unlikely. And Terry, I think you are missing a number on the price, crowns are economical, but they cost more than $25 dollars ($320 pesos). Getting crowns in Mexico would cost about 15-20% of the U.S. cost at the most, but the quality of the work is better in Mexico. Viola had about $800 dollars worth of work that involved cosmetic work, one or more crowns and misc. My guess is that work would have cost $3,500 to $4,500 in the States.

Yeah Steve, I'd never have pain from dental work if I could come down with a stash of Lortabs too. All dentists will effectively numb you for work, but if I was having implants or bone graph work, I'd want more than a Tylenol and an ice pack!

#5 TERRY7133

TERRY7133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

Yes Charles, I meant 3200 pesos. I was in a hurry to get to bed last nite and did not re check my post.

Her fist name is actually spelled Yasmin --- pronounced Jasmin. I would not even attempt to pronounce her last three names .

It was a very pleasant experience and they turned my crowns around in 3 to 4 days.

#6 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

I went to Yazmin early 2011 for a repair on my partial upper plate after a corner was chipped off and it no longer stayed in mouth without a tube of polygrip lol,emailed her the day before I left Michigan had an appointment set up for the next morning went back in the afternoon to get it fitted, never used a drop of polygrip after that.Since it has been through the wars (I have had it for about 12 year) I decided to get a new one around Sept of last year. So I shopped around and the best price I got here was $1250, we decided to go to Cozumel in Oct and I emailed ahead to yazmin and dr Alejandra Novoa Carus for prices,for a new denture plate it was $320 from Yazmin and $475 from Dr Alejandra. I emailed Yazmin the day before I arrived and again had a next day morning appointment,where she took xrays and generally checked out everything and made the molds and told me to come back the next day at 4pm,went back and got fitted with my new plate, she made a minor adjustment to it and since it has been perfect,,
Her office is very clean and her equipment is all up to date with a tv above your head for the kids.She is fluent in english and very professinal in her approach to her work, every appointment was always on time and it was pleasure to converse with her about her life and your own. Here is a couple of pics of her office

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Jaime

Jaime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Approximately how much is a cleaning only?

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

Yazmin is charging 800p's for cleaning.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#9 Oso Polar

Oso Polar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:59 PM

Hey....we like  Dr. Nora at Medidental, but have people had good luck with the Medidental dentist that does the implants? (Dr. Nora doesn't...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users