• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 divern2h20

divern2h20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Let me start by saying I am in NO WAY upset with how this turned out. This was a learning experience!
Wife and I were down for 10 days the first of January.We rented a nice Chevy w/AC from Isis
We stayed at Villa Blanca and parked out front every day, same thing we've done for at least 6 trips.
Well the car got bumped on the pasenger side doors, put a dimple in both.Yes, we had the insurance as everyone knows Margurita includes this with all rentals.I also new there was a "deductable" what I learned is the "deductable" is 10% of the value of the car!

We stopped by as soon as we noticed so there would not be a last minute hassle. Margurita was almost appoligetic and assured us not to worry. She had her mechanic stop by the hotel to look at the damage and we were never bothered with anything.

By US body shop rates this was [and I ask a buddy in the business]a $14-2000 repair.
We dropped the car off on the way to the airport to settle the bill.
The cars value was $7000usd [not sure where this came from but the car was for sure worth that]
That made a $700 deductable! I figured there goes 700 bucks!!
All I can say is Margurita is one fair lady, the repair came to $225 usd
Needless to say she has our business for life.

Just wanted to let people know thats how the deductable is figured , could be real costly on some of the newer bigger vehicles showing up around the island.

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

We've had, I'm afraid to say, several instances of bending or scraping parts of Margarita's cars.

Like you, our experiences with how those episodes have worked out have made us her customers for life.

#3 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

Confused... Are you saying you had to pay $700 for a $225 repair..?
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Mark, he paid $225 and THOUGHT it might be $700.

Margurita does do an excellent job, and has many happy customers.

What I don't understand is ZERO deductible. Remember Dawn had ZERO deductible and her unsecured back seat was swiped. She had to pay $100 usd's.

This applies to all rental companies.

Where's the ZERO in that?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Ahhh, I get it (now)... So had the car been totaled in an accident, then it would have been $700...?

Paula, that reminds me of the menu @ coconuts - "free margaritas TOMORROW..."

i kept telling the guy "I was here yesterday... today IS yesterdays tomorrow, so how about a free drink..."

No dice... :D
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#6 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel, animals, reading,travel and friends

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

We always rent from Thrifty at the airport because they do have a zero deductible . For the last few years we have added the super damage waiver and that covers the 10% that folks were talking about previously . We have found the total price with insurance to be very close to Isis's price. I just rented a car today from Thrifty for our February trip and the confirmation email clearly states the cost and different types of insurance available. It also stated if you decline insurance they will put a hold on your credit card. I hope this information helps.

#7 ronkoplus

ronkoplus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

We are coming to stay for 1 month in January. I have sent a request for a quote to Isis. I'm still not 100% sure on the insurance. Is it smarter to just go with Thrifty and pay the additional $25. for collision and liability, or do I use my credit card coverage and buy just liability? Thrifty or Isis, or Less Pay? I've used Thrifty before with good results. Isis has many many fans. I know there's no correct answer to this, but still looking for good advice. Thanks.

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

Your credit card insurance is worthless here.  

For long term rental, I would go with Fiesta car rental, if you want a nice car. They do have  long term rental available. http://www.fiestacarrental.com/

I have been renting long term (month to month) from Less Pay for the past 3 months.

It depends on the type of vehicle you want, and which agency offers long term service at a better rate. Not all do.

Your going to be renting in high season, so the demand will be high.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#9 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

Isis includes the maximum insurance you're going to be able to get.

It can't be said enough times: insurance linked to a credit card will do absolutely no good at all if you actually have damage.

#10 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

Actually, our Chase credit card insurance DID pay for damages after a street light fell on and dented the hood of our rental, and after someone rear-ended our car in the Punta Langosta lot, on the same day. We had to pay Thrifty what they estimated to fix the damage the full amount out of pocket. When we got home, I had to request the bill for the damage from Thrifty, which I then submitted to Chase. We got reimbursed the full amount, almost. Thrifty erred on the side of not losing money, but came pretty close.

Definitely get full insurance, but don't despair. Keep your credit card insurance, and do file a claim when you get home.

However, keep in mind this does not apply if your back seat is stolen. Then it's all you.

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

That is the credit card insurance problem right:  You must pay damages before you are allowed to leave Mexico or Tourist Jail for that matter, so the credit card model of paying later is problematic.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#12 ronkoplus

ronkoplus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

To give an update. #1. Thanks for the advice. I have made an online reservation with Margarita @ Isis. No deposit required. I will take the full insurance as part of the package. See you on the beach!

#13 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

From the conversations I have had, there are at least 2 parts to the insurance.  One covers damage to other people and property.  That is the part that you can get a zero deductible for in Cozumel.  The other is collision/damage to the car itself.  That is the part that I have not been able to find coverage for in Cozumel.  Whenever I ask about this my first answer is "yes zero deductible" but when I question further I get the fine tuning of the answer that explains the 10% deductible for damage/collision.  I have been able to get 'zero, zero' coverage on the mainland however.

#14 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

"I will take the full insurance as part of the package."

I've never been aware that she offers rentals WITHOUT full insurance.

#15 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

liability is the only mandated insurance on rentals, and is included in the price OF ALL AGENCIES.

If you want more insurance, that is extra.

And, ZERO deductible isn't really Zero...see dawnb's post.

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users