• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alma

alma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Does anyone know a source for purchasing this product? I found small containers of Griego Yogurt at Mega but it was the full fat variety. Is the Beirut store gone? Thanks!

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Beirut store is still there.

I bought what I thought was yogurt there last week, and it tasted like sour cream.

Which is exactly what I used it for.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Beirut store is still there.

I bought what I thought was yogurt there last week, and it tasted like sour cream.

Which is exactly what I used it for.

You probably bought labne (yogurt cheese) instead of labin (yogurt.) The labne/yogurt cheese which is creamy and thick like sour cream comes in small flat containers and the labin/regular full fat yogurt made from San Marcos brand milk, by the way) comes in 1 cup containers as well as what looks like 2.5 cup containers. It's my yogurt of choice although I also like Alpura no azucar added yogurt which is kind of hard to find.

I doubt the Cafe Beirut lady makes non fat yogurt but she might if you asked her for a special order. Or make your own. I have a yogurt maker and find it amazingly easy to make yogurt in it because you do not have to boil and then cool the milk first since you're using the packaged milk. I buy her yogurt and then use some of it as starter for a couple of 2 quart batches then buy some more and repeat the process. You could do this by using low fat milk.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

I bought the one cup container and it was great to use in mashed potatoes. But wouldn't consider it yogurt.

Frankly, if that's their yogurt...forgetaboutit.

You can make your own yogurt, if your so inclined.http://www.makeyourownyogurt.com/make-yogurt/what-you-need

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users