• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 marcalan

marcalan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:55 AM

My husband and I were on a cruise that stopped in Cozumel last week. I was having a terrible problem with water retention, so I went to a pharmacy to get some water pills. While I was there the pharmacist asked me if I needed anything else and then held up a tube of what he said was Retin-A (I assumed a generic version). I'm in the fifty something group and obviously wrinkles are a big concern, so I took notice. It was only ten bucks so on a whim I purchased it just to give it a try.

When I got it home and started looking at it, although it's tough to try to translate the ingredients, it doesn't appear to have the active ingredient that's in Retin-A. The substance that he sold me is called Simicure. I'm kind of getting cold feet about putting this stuff on my face. Is anyone familiar with this product? I can't find it online anywhere.

Thanks,
Lynda

#2 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:29 AM

Retin-A might appear in the ingredients as vitamina A or tretinoin. Not sure the latter is translated the same.

Simicure sounds like a generic from Farmacias Similaries. They sell primarily, generics.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:57 AM

Not so sure it was Farmacias Similares.

I went to the website http://simi.farmacia...=pager&numPag=9

and no drug by that name is listed.

I also Goggled Mexican Pharmacies, and nothing by that name listed.

If you Google "simicure" it does come up with Spanish chat room on using the product.

Let me ask you, does it have a a strength of 0.05 or 0.1% on the label?

Retin-A in either strength (0.01% can burn your skin badly, and you MUST stay out of the Sun with either strength) can cause some significant skin damage if not used correctly.

I check any medication I buy here using goggle "Mexican Pharmacies" before I purchase any med's.

I want to know what to heck I am buying and what the side effects are.

If it where me, I would NOT use this stuff until you know what it is, and what STRENGTH it is.

Do you remember where you purchased this product...somebody can check to see what it is.

If it's a good substitute, then that's good news...if not THROW IT OUT and you did a good service to all of us by letting us know.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:34 PM

Where did you purchase it and what indeed is in the "water pills" you purchased. They didn't sell t-shirts too? I self medicate, it is the practical reality of my life. I never buy anything that I don't have a good idea what it is and appropriate use. Everytime I go to any pharmacy in the tourist fringe zone, I see people buying stuff that they have no idea what it is, much less how and when it should be used.

The Retin-A we have here is 0.025%, the lowest strength I believe. It is very real the possibility of burning the skin and sun block is essential when using Rentin-A. Some pharmacies have knowledgeable persons that can help and offer suggestions (Spanish) and most carry a reference book akin to the U.S. PDR (also in Spanish). I have never taken anything from any source with doing research and I have been prescribed medicine in the States that the consumer information provided was totally inadequate.

#5 marcalan

marcalan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for all the replies. We come to Cozumel quite often and at one point someone recommended a pharmacy that is a few blocks back from the water front. I can't remember the name of it, but I know I walk by Casa Denis and it's a couple of blocks further back on the same street as Casa Denis (but across the street and sits on a corner). I think it's on the same street as the mini-golf.

The so-called Retin-A that I purchased, I can't see where it says any kind of strength on the bottle anywhere. I do see something that has Vitamin E and Vitamin BS, but no Vitamin A. The first few ingredients, which I assume would be what makes up the majority of the product, are:

Aqua, Glicerina, Propilenglicol, allium cepa, PEG-40 Aceite de ricino hidrogenado -- then there's quite a few more, but nothing that looks like the generic form of Retin-A.

To answer the question about the water pills, one time when I was there I had a really bad problem with my ankles swelling (too much salt in my margaritas along with the heat), and I went to the pharmacy and asked what they would recommend. They gave me furosemide, I think 20 milligrams. I took a half a pill and it worked wonders. When I got home I asked my doctor about it and he gave me a prescription for it -- just said to take it only when I needed it. I hadn't needed to take it for quite some time, but was having some water retention problems when we were on our cruise, so when we stopped in Cozumel I went to the pharmacy to pick some up. The Retin-A was just an afterthought.

I don't think I'm going to use this unless I can find out more about it.

Thanks everyone

#6 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:54 AM

Furosemide is the generic form of Lasix. I'm prescribed 20 mg twice per day, but only take it once a day. Gotta run.... it's working!Posted Image

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#7 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:20 AM

You got your item at Farmacias Similares, they sell SIMICURE CREMA CONTORNO OJOS C/8.5GR TARRO, in a jar, an eye contour cream, and SIMICURE CREMA DESVANECEDORA DE ARRUGAS, 60GR in a tube, sold as a wrinkle remover, both are sold a "beauty aids" not as prescription drugs. Both items are listed on the following page: http://simi.farmacia...=pager&numPag=9

T.

#8 marcalan

marcalan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:12 PM

Thank you SO much. I'm going to take a look at it and see if it's what I'm wanting to use. I'm currently using an alpha hydroxy lotion that's pretty powerful. Wonder how this compares.

Thanks again

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:13 PM

I could not get the page to come up.

Interesting, when I went on the site, it did not list the name of the product that the poster provided.

If you are already using alpha hydroxy lotion I would wait for a while after you stopped one treatment, to start another.

Your the best Travler...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 marcalan

marcalan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

Okay. I went to "other" and searched "simi" and a couple of products entitled Simicure come up. There's one pink tube that looks kind of like what I have but mine says "Simicure" and then below it "gel facial y corporal" and then below that it says "dermocosmetico natural."

The tube that's listed on the site says "CREMA DESVANECEDORA DE ARRUGAS 60GR SIMICURE."

Do you think they're one and the same?

#11 marcalan

marcalan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:41 PM

Yes, it is the same thing. I clicked on the picture a second time and it enlarged it enough that I could read the "gel facial y corporal" on the box. It also has the word "acne." So it does sound like it's at least something similar to Retin A. Just not sure how I would go about finding out the strength and what the "wrinkle fighting" ingredient is. As I indicated, I don't see the Spanish generic name for Retin-A on the tube anywhere.

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:41 PM

I've begun experimenting with Retin-A. It is relatively inexpensive down here and doesn't require a doctor's prescription.

I started at the lowest concentration and moved up from there as my skin becomes accustomed to it.

So I went and got my 3 tubes all purchased at various pharmacies here with the Chedraui farmacia probably being the cheapest. Here goes

Stieva-A Tretinoina crema, .025% (Stiefel is the manufacturer)
Stieva-A Tretinoina crema, .05% (Stiefel)
And the strongest simply called Retin-A 0.1%, tretinoina (manufactured by Janssen-CR-AG)

I have no idea what you purchased but the ones above are the real mccoy.

Here are some tips on using the stuff, by the way and while I'm at it:

Start out very slowly -- twice or three times per week for the first two weeks and at a low concentration. Bump up to more frequently and or more often after two weeks to a month.

Wash face before application, of course. But, and this is really important, don't apply the cream to your skin for 30 minutes.

Also important, use a pea sized dollop to cover your ENTIRE face. People tend to slather it on and that causes problems apparently.

I've been using it under my eyes for 6 months and I'm seeing no flaking or redness whatsoever using the tips above.

#13 siatanner

siatanner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:59 AM

I know this post is old but generic most likely will say "acido Retinoico", most commonly known as Retonic Acid/ Retin A. Generic Retin-a  will most likely be produced by Grossman Laboratories and they cost around 2-5 dollars per tube, versus name brand Mexico- Janssen- Cilag (Johnson & Johnson of MX)- which will state Retin A on the tube and cost 15-45 dollars depending on where in MX you are, and how much you can negotiate. 

Hope this helps anyone in the future!  :)

#14 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:20 AM

Do people that have been using it find the Retin A makes an appreciable difference?

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:15 PM

I buy Stevia-A, tretinoina cream which is the same as Renova sold in the US.  It has a cream base so is much less drying and is readily available in different strengths.  My skin can take the 0.1% but that may be too strong for many.

This stuff does indeed work over time.  But there are some tricks if you don't want a red, flaking face.

#1.  Wash face at LEAST 30 minutes before application

#2.  Only apply a pea sized dollop to cover the entire face

#3.  Start with every other day or even twice per week and work up to more.  I never do it more than every other day.

You can use moisturizers also if you start to get skin flaking and if you do get redness and a bad reaction, cut back.  It apparently is not true that your skin has to turn red and flake off for this stuff to work.  What you want is for the skin to get THICKER which this cream also accomplishes.

You have to keep areas you're treating out of the sun as this stuff makes you hyper sensitive to UV rays.

#16 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:46 AM

Thanks Carey. I may get some next trip.  I hear retinol is the only thing that really works.  

#17 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:24 PM

Yah.  You can't get it in the states without a scrip but no problem in Mexico.

Actually there are 4 products I use regularly that are available without a scrip and readily available in Mexico.  Cheapest place to get them is usually Sam's Club but the drug store on the corner of Calle 11 and the 30 Avenida can order in bulk, get it there pretty fast and also has good prices. 

Stevia-A -- renova

Ovestin --estrodial-- widely used in Europe in place of hormone replacement therapy but unavailable in the US at all.  Very low dose topical estrogen cream.  They should have approved it in the US but the drug lobbyists have blocked it so far.

Lumigan--glaucoma drops-- put two drops in the cap of the bottle and use a fine brush to paint on your upper eyelash at the roots.  You will have long, thick lashes in approx 6 weeks of daily use and can then maintain the look with bi weekly applications.  The exact same chemical is sold under a different name -- Latisse -- for 3 x's as much and with scrip needed. Marketed heavily by dermatologists and plastic surgeons in the US under that name. Bargain in Mexico under the brand name lumigan and it really works.

Vontrol--an anti nausea med that works a charm.  Not sure of the generic drug name.  Not available in the US and available without a scrip in Mexico.  A local friend who was prone to frequent migraines told me about this one and I never leave Mexico without some of it.  

You're welcome

#18 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:28 PM

Any pharmacist in the US that feels like making up an estradiol cream and selling it to patients who have a prescription is free to do so, and any doctor is free to prescribe it. Estradiol is readily available, including as a cream.

"Drug lobbyists" don't lobby to "block" drugs from becoming available in the US - they lobby against regulatory agency restrictions. Lobbyists are expensive and someone has to pay them. There is much profit to be made by selling magic face creams and there is no secret cabal that has some weird financial interest in keeping wrinkle cream out of the hands of the masses.

Drug companies would cheerfully sell you heroin, powdered human remains, or highly radioactive material if they could get away with it (and drug companies have in fact done all of those things until someone made them knock it off). The only thing a drug company has to do to get a drug on the market in the US is to submit data to the FDA proving that it is safe and effective. The only reason the product you mention isn't on the US market would be that nobody has submitted an application to the FDA or because they weren't able to provide data that proved safety or efficacy.

#19 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:45 PM

Drug companies would cheerfully sell you ...powdered human remains,....

I get mine at that place just off the plaza.  No script needed.   :P

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#20 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:49 PM

My bad -- estriol -- not etridiol.  Estriol is not available in the US as far as I am aware but has been prescribed in Europe for years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users