• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:06 AM

Please support Fratelli's. The owner Gabriel told me last night they are in danger of closing, due to lack of business. They changed their hours to 2pm-12am.

The food is great, prices reasonable, nice ambience & nice people.

Location: 65 between 15 & 17 on the west side. It's just south of a total white bldg. at teh corner of 15th. There's a green awning/terracota roof supported by black wrought iron, white rope lights, plaid tableclothes & red chairs. There's both indoor & outdoor seating.

Gabriel worked for Rolandi's for 8 yrs. in Cancun & Isla.

#2 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

Probably half the good restaurants on the island will be in danger of closing from lack of business. How many did we lose last year? It's a shame, the whole nature of business here is that few people can turn a decent profit in the few months that are "better season". High season is a couple of weeks here. Remember when there used to be waiting lines at restaurants?

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:56 AM

Yah, talked recently to two pals of mine that own restaurants near my house, Eduardo of Le Bistrot and Olive and Adrian of Especias. They are trying to be optimistic and taking a Glad to Be Here attitude but they are struggling just like your friend at Fratelli's, Diva.

This is going to be a bad, sad low season, I'm afraid.

Anyone who cares about Cozumel and is coming down, please do try to eat out as much as your pocketbook allows. Check this forum plus the static restaurant page for places we'd especially hate to see go under.

Owning a restaurant is a risky business in any economy as I understand it. But this huge recession following on the heels of the swine flu scare is making life economically precarious for many right now. Your help is needed if you are able to give it.

Eat Out! NOT at your all inclusive. In fact, if you possibly can, don't stay at an all inclusive. You don't need to here. No need to isolate yourself because of danger. This is an incredibly safe and friendly island and you are really missing out not getting out and about, smiling and rubbing shoulders with a lot of very sweet and hard-working local folks most of whom, by the way, speak at least a little English.

If you're coming on a cruise, consider lunch or dinner in town for a great cultural experience in a much different atmosphere than you'll get on your ship where you're already eating so much you're prolly getting a little tired of it by that stage.

It's also VERY safe here at night. And there are taxis literally everywhere in the cruise pier and tourist area. Very feasible to have lunch OR dinner in town. Treat yourself and help some real nice local folks keep their heads above water at the same time.

#4 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:07 AM

I couldn't agree more, Carey. Do the AI thing in the Dominican Republic, NOT Cozumel!

On our last trip in March, we tried to get into Kinta for our last night and my birthday dinner, but they were booked solid. So we did what will become a tradition for us: a Progressive Dinner. We went with a friend to as many of the restaurants we could that we hadn't had time to go to earlier, and had empanadas at one place, split a taco platter at another, an appetizer, sashimi, dessert - all at different places, with drinks. I think we hit up six different places or more and had a blast! We walked to all of them, and I didn't feel we over-ate. It was fun to try new places and it didn't cost a lot. Everything was delicious, and we found some new favorites!

We will definitely add Fratellis to our must try list! We will have to start increasing the length of our stays in order to get in all of our favorite restaurants!

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:17 AM

Now that's a fun idea! Where did you eat on that little tour?

#6 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:35 AM

Oh lord, I was afraid you'd ask! I can't remember all of them...The Argentinian empanada place, a couple little taquerias back in town (one was El Pique I think), Olive for splitting wine and flan, Sorrissi's for Limoncello and sharing a dessert, some other places, all great! I don't think you can go wrong with any place on the island, and when you order just a little bit and share it, you can decide if it's not for you, or if you want to go back for a full dinner. Actually, my husband and I frequently split any entree as portions are usually pretty generous. Two for one.(BTW, we always tip well.) For example, a half order of zucchini boats at Especias is usually plenty for us, and then share an entree.

The Progressive Dinner might be a nice idea for a big group, for cruisers, or for anyone who has limited time on the island. We will definitely do it again!

#7 donnajewel

donnajewel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:47 PM

Our first time to Cozumel was May 2010. Felipe recommended we try Fratelli's, it was our last ngiht there, and we went. The atmosphere, service, and food were beyond amazing. We all enjoyed ourselves immensely, I think it was the best meal I had while on the island-we were there 2-1/2 weeks and tried a LOT of places! I really hope business picks up for them and we definitely plan on going back next trip to Cozumel, hopefully in the fall.

#8 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:22 PM

Well I found this place tonight. My nephew and I took my Grandson and decided to try it. It was ok, but not great. I am sorry but I think that 95 pesos for 3 small pieces of spinach cannaloni served with nothing else except thier version of garlic bread is a bit high. Daniel had basic spaggetti which was not a very full serving, like 1/2 a bowl and over salty and it was 90 pesos.

I would rather go to Rolandis the food is better and priced decently for the servings.

Danial has been here for 9 years and he was also less than impressed. Again, it was not bad, but certainly nothing to write home about.

#9 alma

alma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

As they say "different strokes".... However, I respectfully disagree. We (4 adults) all agreed that Fratelli's food was better than Rolandi's and we did not have a complaint about the price or the portion size. The pizza at Fratelli's was excellent; one of the best if not the best on the island. The salads were also very good. We liked Rolandi's as well but it seemed to be more generic.

#10 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:21 PM

Maybe we should have had the Pizza, but we were nit pleased with the other. As you said, everyone to thuer own...lol..some even prefer Micy D's.

#11 jill

jill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:01 PM

Your right underserved and over priced and was not very good, Im playing it safe and sticking to Guidos alittle exspencive but always good and very well served

#12 lstaton42

lstaton42

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:21 AM

Charlie and I went for the first time last night...the place is charming,wait staff very attentive,and the food was the best Italian I have had in a resturant in Cozumel.I thought my spaghetti was a steal at $90.00 pesos...had trouble trying to finish it all.The Ceaser salad was very fresh with the right amount of spice and dressing.Charlie had the ravolli and could only eat 4 of the 5 pieces...stuffed with cheese and spinach.Our bill for 2 meals,salad,2 beers and 2 cokes was $330.00 pesos.We are looking forward to going back to try other things on the menu...but the spaghetti with meat sauce is going to be hard to beat.

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:35 AM

I'll have to give Fratelli's a try. I went to Sonrisa last night with a girlfriend so I could review it, by the way. Bill for two of us with big fancy salads, pasta entrees and one glass of wine each was $1000 pesos not including the tip. (Cough) Them's San Francisco middle of the road restaurant prices.

However, you must take into account that the venue is simply gorgeous--clean, beautiful, fully functioning AC. They have two young Italian chefs running the kitchen at this point. The food was excellent. My friend had the mushroom rissoto which we could see him stirring up out in the kitchen while we ate our big, delicious salads.Rissoto got a 10 from my Swiss friend who knows her Italian food. I had the gnocchi's in gorgonzola and they were rich and excellent. Tiramisu would have been good if they had kirsh and coffee liquor to soak it with but you can't buy that on the island so it was as good as you can get without those essential ingredients.

This is going on the restaurant page in the expensive category. Same price or possibly cheaper than Guidos. Food just as good if not better. Really beautiful place inside. I'd put this on the special occasions list for locals rec. list and for visitors who are ac customed to dropping $100 bucks for dinner without blinking an eye, this place should be on your list to try.

Is Fratelli's open for lunch?

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

This all sounds so GOOD....

How about the resturant called Fritz? It is on 10, near the Catholic church in town.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:22 AM

Unless it's moved again before it ever opened, Fritz is, I believe, located on Ave 15 I think between SAlas and 3. I've never seen it open in the two or more years the sign has been out there.

#16 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:48 PM

dawnb,
That's funny...we did the same thing. It was the last night all of our friends were going to be there and we couldn't decide where to have dinner so we hit several of our favorites. Del Sur's empanadas was also one that we hit as well as Camillo's across the street for shrimp tacos, Wet Wendy's for a margarita and not sure from there. Not because of the margarita (: but because that was last December. It's also a good way to say farewell to all of the wonderful people that we have met working at these restaurants.

#17 lstaton

lstaton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

Fratellis is moving to the old Manate location...10th ave. and calle 8...suppose to open this afternoon

#18 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:24 PM

Will they have live music like Manati's did?

#19 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:53 AM

I thought that the "Fish Bar" cantina just moved into Manatees old location?

Cozumel Diving

#20 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:08 AM

The Fish Bar enjoyed a brief moment in that light. Last time I went past the corner of 8 and 10 Fratelli's had taken over and looks like a new paint job. It was shut tight in the afternoon so I take it it's only open for dinner?? Gotta try that place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users