• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BamaGram

BamaGram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

We are planning our 4th trip this year. We are planning on coming for a week instead of 5 days. We were going to rent a jeep and visit the north part of the island. Weve been pretty much everywhere else. But we wanted to make sure you can just drive a jeep to the northern part. I know you can do a quided tour but we just want to do it ourselves. Can we do that?

#2 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:44 AM

The 4 wheel drives are disconnected. You would never make it. Your insurance is void if you go off road.

Cozumel Diving

#3 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

It's a long trip. I was almost to the light house after 3 1/2 hours driving last time I went when I had a blow out in one of my tires. I have 4 wheel drive an thought I was going to get stuck a couple of times. We even helped free a dune buggy that was stuck. It's a long walk back if you do get into trouble and I would imagin a large towing bill.

The linkage for the 4 wheel drive on the Jeep you rent is disconnected. You can climb under the vehicle and manually shift it into 4 wheel drive if you know what you are doing. Travel at your own risk.

#4 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

dont do it... the molas lighthouse is sealed shut... waste of time.

if u get stuck, the tour with adrian winds up being cheaper (and more fun)
ďCorona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, Iím havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...Ē

#5 BamaGram

BamaGram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

haha thanks guys. my husband has been wanting to do it real bad and i was like NOOOOOO

#6 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

haha thanks guys. my husband has been wanting to do it real bad and i was like NOOOOOO

let him do it alone and you can use that time to take yourself to a local spa. When (IF) you see him at the end of the day or that night, ask him how his trip was... I am sure he'll be excited to tall you all about how wonderful it was. :D
ďCorona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, Iím havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...Ē

#7 BamaGram

BamaGram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

haha! Isnt there something at the southern part of the island that is off the beaten path?

#8 kentukcoz

kentukcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

If Adrian is still doing boat tours to Punta Molas its a great trip. He is a very personable and knowledgable guide.

#9 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:10 AM
To: Mark
Subject: Re: Punta Molas

Punta Molas Adventure

Hello Mark

Thanks for getting in touch with me. I hope I can be part of your memorable vacation and show you a great time here in the island.

First of all, I'm not an organized company like all the big tours operators. I was born and raised in the island and know my way around like the palm of my hand.

My grandparents started, what is now the oldest restaurant in the island, www.casadenis.com and since I was a kid I took people out on tours on my grandfatherís request; you name it: Jungle, fishing, snorkeling, Mayan site seeing, animal seeing tours.

Right now I have my own restaurant, Especias and also own a surf and bikini shop in the island, Puro Mar, www.cozumelkiteboarding.com. I mention this so you have an idea of who I am and where I come from.

I have seen, through the years, many companies go and come, huge tour operators and what I called cattle carriers. From that last I have found that we started to lose the personal service that we used to offer when we were that little fishing village where I was born; all that due to the money
that high volume tourism and cruise ships produce, this was the main reason that I never developed a company of tours like the others.

I rather do small tours, where I can show the island in a local point of view. Itís been great to receive people over the years and make friends all the time. I do not advertise openly, since I am selective on who I take out and most of the activities I do are oriented to the adventurer traveler, not to the all inclusive, relaxing on the beach type people, (nothing wrong with it!)

At the moment the Punta Molas adventure is being the most popular tour I do, but, there a few things I have to tell you about the northern side of Cozumel:

Since it has not been developed for the tourism, it still keeps the magic of a wild life sanctuary, so please do not expect services over there; In case we need the bathroom we will need to pull over in the jungle or the ocean to mark territory!! Besides this, itís wonderful place. There is a need of a good bug spray and sun screen, as well as, towels, hats and water shoes or secured strap sandals are a must so we can make a good hike around. As for the weather, here in Cozumel we have a very hot and humid weather so you will have to have that in mind as well. In the winter a wetsuit, long or short, will keep you in the water longer and a light raincoat would be appreciated in case of rain.

After sharing those facts with you, here is how our adventure begins:

We will meet at the pier by Blind bay lagoon, this is located on the way to Passion Island; to get there you need to drive through all the northern Hotel zone and pass the country club golf course. No major 90 degrees turns
need to be made, you will see a dirt road and it will be like 15 minute drive till you get to the Pier where the boat will be waiting. After introduction and safety briefing we will start our journey to passion island area. From there we will do a ride to the Monte Cristo lagoon so you can
appreciate the beauty of the mangrove trees and the fauna of the lagoon

After Montecristo Lagoon we will keep riding on our boat to the northern point of the island where we will find a reef and will do some snorkeling by a 25 year old ship wreck. Please note, the logistic of our activities will also depend on the weather conditions and sea currents.

After finishing with snorkeling we will head to the light house and start a hike towards the light house of Punta Molas, over there we will have the opportunity to hike to an abandoned light house that was build in the mid 1900's. Once the light house its visited we will start our way back stopping at "Rio de la Plata" Lagoon to get a half a mile hike in knee deep water and venture to discover and ancient Mayan ruin, where you will learn and have the oportunity to see a Mayan sound house.

After all activities are done we will have our lunch and some snacks to then finally start our way back to our depart point.

This tour will give you the opportunity to see the Cozumel that very little tourist get to see and itís also a great picture opportunity tour since there are great places to take shots so charge your battery clear your memory stick and loose the camera shyness :)

I will supply boat transportation, soft drinks and beer, snacks, snorkel gear if needed and the price will be 250usd for 1-2 pax and 80us every additional person with a max of 5 per boat. Please note that there are not other boats going along and it will be just the group of yours and not others that you don't know.

The tour takes 4-5 hours of personalized guiding through magical secluded areas and we will be exposed to the elements most part of the day.

I will just need the following info if you decide to book on me:
Names,
Ages,
weight
Date and schedule
Place where you will be staying and if you come in a boat, then
Ship name,
Pier of arrival and ship schedule.
Water skills and confidence at snorkeling, "important"
Any health problems or major surgeries? please be very detail on this one.

I strongly recomend to go on this adventure with the best weather conditions so we can enjoy and have fun. If too windy the water gets merky and choppy and its not fun. If seasick is your deal I recomend you to take a dramamine an hour before we take the tour.

Then i suggest we keep an opening of your vacation plan and go ahead with the forecast, this will aloud us to pick the best day. If you only have one day then we will have to relay on our good luck of good weather. Days with winds after 12knots would obligate me to cancel unless you still want to go for it. Days with winds over 18knots would be a total cancelation.

I do not pick up people from hotels since i have to have a preparation in advance to be ready on your arrival, but i can give you a ride back after the tour is over if you have no problems waiting for me as i anchor the boat and pack my truck to get back.

Most tours in the island range in price from 90-110us. On these tours you share your day on buses, boats and lots of people and usually takes 3-4 hours of non personalized guiding. Please consider I would spend the whole day doing my best showing you a part of Cozumel that very few get to see.

In order to reserve, please reply to this mail to check for openings on my agenda, once the opebing is confirm I will request a Pay Pal deposit of 50us. In case of cancelation due to bad weather the deposit will be returned considering the Paypal FEE to do so. In case of No show there will not be a return on the deposit due to preparation expenses. In case of ship no show or change route i will requiere an email 24hours in advance. In case of illness too. In case of moctezuma revenge, drink one part of Coke and fresh lime juice to get a happy tummy. Pay pal deposits will be done towards adrian@cozumelkiteboarding.com

Another recomendation is to get in touch with me via email, phone or smoke signals as soon as you hit the island so i know where to contact you in case of weather changes.

I hope you liked the info I have sent you and I will be here happily waiting for your response

Sincerely

Adrian Angulo
AKA adrian cozumel on Facebook
Especias Restaubar, 3rd street south between 5th and 10 ave.
Puro Mar Surf-Kite and Bikini Shop, 5th ave and 3rd street south.
www.cozumelkiteboarding.com
Cell +52 1 9878761558

AdriŠn Angulo
+52 1 987 8761558
Especias Restaubar
Puro Mar surf-kite shop
www.cozumelkiteboarding.com

#10 BamaGram

BamaGram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Thanks a bunch! We are looking into different things to do this time since we are staying 7 days. We might try fishing. Not sure yet. Thanks for the referral! Id rather use the local guys just because if my money is going somewhere I want it to go to who needs it

#11 Regiomontano

Regiomontano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

Jeeps with disabled 4x4 and the faro punta molkas closed...THIS FORUM HAS ALREADY SAVE ME A BUNCH!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users