• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Agree happiness is more than money. I use the word poor, not because I like it but because in english it seems to be what most use. There are many other ways in spanish that I would use to refer to those less fortunate or without the opportunities others have. But the richest people I have known have very little wealth in terms of money or possessions. They are rich in heart and other ways. I have always felt that if you have your health there is very little more important. For most families here the most important thing is the health of their family. I have seen the same joy as the faces of those in Carnival at a meal shared in a home with lamina for a roof and with no water or electricity and only a car battery to power a single light bulb. Or in a outdoor capilla on a sunday morning with no floor or roof and plastic chairs giving thanks for what little they have. But what they do have is their health, family and at least one meal a day. When you are tossing beads and candy stop for a minute to think of those you will never see there and who don't have the chance for the children to run into the street to pick up beads etc. I have taken medicine to these people and seen the gratitude on their faces. These are the people who are forgotten. How many people realize how many homes or rooms here that have no running water and only buckets and a toilet and no shower or kitchen and cook with wood. Or in some areas with no electricity. These are the forgotten people. And these are the ones I only ask people to consider when they are packing up their suitcases to bring stuff here. We all have our priorities. And everyone has the right to make their own decisions. Think of all the nameless faces that you will not see at the parade. If even one person reads what I write and considers this the next time they are packing for their trip than I think I will have made a difference.

#42 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

LOL...Turon and I didn't think you had a sense of humor.

#43 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Whoa
For some reason I missed most of this thread. First, sorry Valli!

Second, I'm going to have to weigh in with Charles and Morenita on this. They are telling it like it is re the current situation here, a situation that has very little if any effect on tourists, I might add.

However, as the owner of this website and an extranjera living in Mexico at the grace of the Mexican government, I cannot allow outright political commentary in regard, for example, to our city's elected officials. It's the law as you, Charles, should know better than anyone. So lay off the cracks as amusing as they might be and usually are.

Mark C. I live downtown right in the heart of Centro and I am not feeling what you are feeling about it being unsafe. Seems the same to me.

#44 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Mark C. I live downtown right in the heart of Centro and I am not feeling what you are feeling about it being unsafe. Seems the same to me.

That might just be why - because you live there. I do not feel unsafe in DFW because I live here, but visitors might now. It's not that I am trying to cause a stir, I was not in any real fear the last 2 trips there (2011 and 2012). But the island definitely does not have the same safe feeling as it did in 1990, my 1st trip.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#45 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

"And if you feel it necessary to censure or delete items that is your choice as well."

You don't mean me do you? I haven't deleted anything. I thought we were having a good discussion.

"I like it when people challenge my ideas. I am forced to defend them which strengthens them or change or modify them when someone can make a better argument."

I am truly just trying to understand because I am of the " don't discourage anything that helps even if it kind of misgiuded" school of thought

"I stand by everything I post. Never meant to be negative or insult just to make people think."
I never thought you were

"Yes Crunc h Carnival is a beautiful event for the entire family with many happy people and there are also many poor people who would find it very difficult to participate or attend. I love watching it but it also saddens me to think of all those that could be helped with the money that goes into it. Like paying the police."
That I totally get and I think I would feel the same way if I lived there

Mark - I feel the same way. There are very few places I won't walk around here in FW and Coz was different in some ways better and some ways worse when we first went there in ?1995.

Steve - You are killing me - LOL!! You are the only one that gets me.

Of course I will never see Carnival because I don't like high season. I only go in May or summer. Low season rocks!

All - when i 1st registered i screwed up and didn't noticce my typo. It is just crunch :D

#46 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

No Crunc h I was not refering to you. I agree we were having a good discussion and agree with most of what you were saying. I love a good discussion. We are good!

#47 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Thanks morenita. I must have misread it. Probably because with only 11 weeks till my trip my brain is turning to mush already.

#48 cozdude

cozdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:rock & ice climbing, mountaineering, snowboarding, diving, mountain biking, mixed martial arts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

Interesting thread (as is mexicalia's more recent thread on the same subject).

As far as the downtown area feeling different than in the past, I have to say, that just doesn't hold true for me. My wife and I have been visiting Cozumel on average twice a year (for a week at a time) for the past 9 years, and I've not noticed any difference as far as safety and comfort goes. We were just there in early December, and it was the same as it's always been since we've been visiting. However, being big-city dwellers for the past 15 years (Philly, then NYC, now Boston), we've always been personal security conscious, so maybe that's why we've never had any issues or felt threatened or unsafe in any way. Admittedly, I am a well-muscled athletic 200-lb male, so I'm likely not an ideal target for the petty crime types. But even still, I wear my backpack tightyl secured to my body, and in crowds, I wear it in front. Minor precautions that can go a long way toward dissuading anyone from thinking they are going to have an easy time of relieving me of my property.

That being said, I'm sorry to hear about those who've been victimized (it seems it's predominantly women). Be alert and vigilant, but remember that this can happen anywhere. It's not a Cozumel problem, per se.

#49 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

Cozdude, I appreciate what you are saying and for the most part, I would agree with you. I would not continue to the visit the island if I felt it was no longer safe, but I have noticed some subtle changes that make me somewhat more alert and aware when I am downtown or other places in general. Also, Mexcelia and I were both on bicycles in broad daylight when our incidents took place, and if there is no one around, it does make one more vulnerable and also increases the chance of personal injury.

Valli

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users