13 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

I am reading great reviews of the Kirkland brands of dry and canned dog food. Sold only at Costco including the store in Cancun.

The reviews put this product head and shoulders above anything currently available on the island and I expect the price, coming from Costco, is a lot cheaper than what I'm paying now for Purina ProPlan.

I am thinking that if we got enough people together who wanted to order this food in bulk, we could either split the cost of delivery or pay the gas and ferry for someone to go over, pay for it and bring it back.

Is this of interest to anyone? Awful lot of trouble for one person to haul back.

#2 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Count me in - my 2 dogs love the dry food, but I have not tried the canned food. I buy a 70 lb. bag; put half into a plastic garbage can (with a lid) and write "dog food only" on the lid. The rest I store in a huge garbage bag placed inside another plastic garbage can, and so far, has kept very well.
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Count me in - my 2 dogs love the dry food, but I have not tried the canned food. I buy a 70 lb. bag; put half into a plastic garbage can (with a lid) and write "dog food only" on the lid. The rest I store in a huge garbage bag placed inside another plastic garbage can, and so far, has kept very well.

I remember you mentioning that, Sheila. What's the price on the dry food -- more or less?

Because 8 kilos of Purina ProPlan, a much inferior dry dog food, goes for $280 pesos. Twice the price of what it costs in the states. And the specialty brands from vets around town will, of course, be more. And none of the ones available from the vets are rated very highly, I'm afraid.

I understand Julio has a new brand that starts with a "V". Will have to check it out on the internet. But it will be sky high, I expect.

#4 LuhM

LuhM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

I remember you mentioning that, Sheila. What's the price on the dry food -- more or less?

Because 8 kilos of Purina ProPlan, a much inferior dry dog food, goes for $280 pesos. Twice the price of what it costs in the states. And the specialty brands from vets around town will, of course, be more. And none of the ones available from the vets are rated very highly, I'm afraid.

I understand Julio has a new brand that starts with a "V". Will have to check it out on the internet. But it will be sky high, I expect.

Canned food is exceptional. I have not bought the dry food yet.
Luh
The Magic of Design Furniture & Interior Design
www.themagicofdesign.com

#5 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Not sure about the price, but I really don't care that much. I just want my buddies to have good nourishment rather than all the fillers found in other brands. I will be needing some more in about 6 weeks or so; maybe we can work something out.
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

Not sure about the price, but I really don't care that much. I just want my buddies to have good nourishment rather than all the fillers found in other brands. I will be needing some more in about 6 weeks or so; maybe we can work something out.

I'm thinking to moisten dry kibble with the canned food. Maybe it will even be palatable enough for my picky little puppies when they are fully grown in four months. Right now I've been forced to feed these two home made food and in case anyone is interested.
1 part oatmeal, 1 part cooked ground chicken. Fish oil and corn oil added. Plus 1200 mg per two cups of calcium gotten from egg shells that I bake for 10 in the oven and then grind up in a Krups coffee grinder until they are a fine powder. Also a vitamin/mineral supplement chewie. About to add a sprinkle of nutritional yeast which Cookielady has been kind enough to bring down for me.

Major worry with home made dog food is being sure they get the right amount of minerals and vitamins. And in puppies calcium is exceedingly important. That's one worry off the table in feeding a good commercial food -- they do that balancing act for you.

#7 LuhM

LuhM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

I'm thinking to moisten dry kibble with the canned food. Maybe it will even be palatable enough for my picky little puppies when they are fully grown in four months. Right now I've been forced to feed these two home made food and in case anyone is interested.
1 part oatmeal, 1 part cooked ground chicken. Fish oil and corn oil added. Plus 1200 mg per two cups of calcium gotten from egg shells that I bake for 10 in the oven and then grind up in a Krups coffee grinder until they are a fine powder. Also a vitamin/mineral supplement chewie. About to add a sprinkle of nutritional yeast which Cookielady has been kind enough to bring down for me.

Major worry with home made dog food is being sure they get the right amount of minerals and vitamins. And in puppies calcium is exceedingly important. That's one worry off the table in feeding a good commercial food -- they do that balancing act for you.

Just a thought, why don't I drop off a few cans for you to try to be sure they like it? You could add to their existing dry food to see if it will work. I still have a full case. Will be going in about two weeks or less.
Luh
The Magic of Design Furniture & Interior Design
www.themagicofdesign.com

#8 luvfish

luvfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

Carey- i would be interested in buying the kirkland brand dry dog food from costco. Please let me know
Anet

#9 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

You may also want to consider talking to the manager at Mega (owned by the same company as Costco). They have several Kirkland brand items available on the aisle by the bakery... Might be worth a shot, you never know :)

#10 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

I have a question.

Last year I bought dog food at Mega got the humane society because Costco would not let me in to buy what humane society prefers from them. Would anyone be willing to try to get Mega to stock that brand? Humane society was not to happy about the other brand which I understand because they do not want to upset the dogs digestive systems.

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I would volunteer to talk to the manager except that right now my time out and about is severely limited as I finish up housetraining my two new dogs. Can anyone else step up to the plate? If I were to do it, I'd get a list of signatures from local customers who want to buy it and take that along. 8 or more people would probably be enough.

It's a good idea to try, for sure!

#12 divern2h20

divern2h20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

FYI,
Kirkland is a Diamond product.
Be aware there were recalls of both all last year.

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

FYI,
Kirkland is a Diamond product.
Be aware there were recalls of both all last year.

Yes I read that about the US recalls last year of dry food. And it is certainly possible the company decided to dump the recalls on Mexico. Thought about that. Although ScubaWoman's dogs have been eating that kibble quite awhile and doing great.

No recalls on the canned/wet Kirkland brand food.

#14 Markandrebecca

Markandrebecca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

Hi! Are you still interested in a Costco dog food cooperative? We just moved to the island and this may be something that would work. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users