• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hlcdlc

hlcdlc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

My husband and I are moving to Cozumel full time in June; we've had a place for about three years and are ready to make it home. :)

So yesterday we went to the Mexican Consulate in Indianapolis. We were allowed, as first time applicants, to apply for the Residencia Permanente Visa, as we plan to be in the country longer than four years. We will also be retired, so we didn't need a work visa.

We only needed one copy of each of the following items (well two, one for me and one for my husband):

Front page of our passports
Driver's licenses (or any photo ID)
Bank statements showing we averaged $2500 USD monthly over the last year in our bank account
Other bank statements showing that would be the case for....well, for a long time, lol
The letter from my employer saying I would be retired in May (my husband is self-employed, he had to submit a copy of the incorporation papers showing he is the president of the company, so can retire at will)
A copy of the fidicomiso for our property

Granted, what should have taken 20 minutes took three hours, as there were printer issues, firewall issues, slow software.....but hey, it's just like home, right? ;) The Indianapolis Consulate only processes visas on Tuesday and Thursdays, and only two per day, and only after 3pm. We had made our appointment a few weeks ago!

Now we have a six month clock to get to Cozumel and then 30 days to get to immigration and finish the process.

And we have very cute stickers in our passports now as well.

If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer. I realize what happens at one Consulate may not be the same as another in a different part of the US, but I figured I would share our experience if it might help anyone. :)

#2 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

Wow that is about exactly what we did ,same basic steps, everything.Worked well and helped allot when we got here as we had most everything needed at immigration,only two trips back to the house and copy place.
We were told we could not bring household goods across as we did not have our fm3 yet on different forums.We did in fact fill up a grand cherokee and an 8 foot trailer and away we went. Not too many problems at the border and here we are. Most furnishing,s were purchased here for the house and mostly bought personal items.
Not an unpleasant experience but the planning and reading forums and all involved I will not miss. Good luck sounds like you did your homework.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users