• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 demiurge

demiurge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

I brought my good road bike down hoping to do a lot of riding over the next couple of weeks and have had some problems with my shifters and had to disassemble to try and repair. Is there a bike shop on the island that has a fair stock of replacement parts? I am seeing more and more cyclists here and with the Ironman it is becoming a destination for training and trips but I don't know if there is enough riders to support a quality bike shop. If not on Cozumel is there a shop in PDC or Cancun that anyone can recommend?

thanks, rick

#2 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

What do you have? Shimano, Campagnolo, SRAM, other? And what parts do you need?

#3 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

If it is Campagnolo I may actually have some spare parts. Most bike shops here are good for your average bicycle but unfortunately not what you would consider professional mechanics for high quality bicycles. I could refer you to a great shop in Merida capable of working on any professional racing bike, like five to ten thousand dollar bikes. But that is quite far away. The type of equipment and tools to properly work on bicycles of this quality is cost prohibitive for the average shop on a small island. I can tune my own rims with my home made set up better than any shop here can.

#4 demiurge

demiurge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

I have a Shimano Ultegra shifter for the rear that failed. I took it apart this morning trying to affect a repair and that was a mistake. The complexity of it was surprising. There is no chance for repair on a 8 year old system without some rather specialized tools. parts and knowledge. Really dissapointing as I wanted to do a ride around the island daily while I was here the next couple of weeks. I should have done a full service before leaving. I found a bike shop on 30 Ave that had a primitive friction shifter for $2. A cheap Chinese piece of junk but that is all I could find. I have been trying to install it this afternoon and think I might get it to work.

Is there a decent bike shop in PDC or Cancun? Is it possible to get anything shipped down here from the states in a reasonable period of time?

Thanks for the offers on parts from Morenita and DebB, very kind of you. I will give it a go with what I installed today and if it fails I will seek you out. I'm a bit frustrated with the dam thing so I had to sit down with a Margarita and chill for a bit and vent :-)

rick

#5 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

There is a decent bike shop here. Beto's bike repair at Cabrilla's on Calle 11 Sur west of Ave. 10. Usually Ultegra lever service parts are not available -- Shimano is notorious for making consumers buy new components vs repair damaged ones. However, many of Shimano's shifters use interchangeable parts. Much depends on the age & number of clicks your cassette requires. If Beto has a used lever to cannibalize for you, that would be your best option. There's also a chance that he will have a replacement that will index your rear derailleur -- or know where to get one for you.

And yes, it is possible to have items shipped from the States but it may be cheaper and easier to buy in Mexico.

#6 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

There is a decent bike shop here. Beto's bike repair at Cabrilla's on Calle 11 Sur west of Ave. 10. Usually Ultegra lever service parts are not available -- Shimano is notorious for making consumers buy new components vs repair damaged ones. However, many of Shimano's shifters use interchangeable parts. Much depends on the age & number of clicks your cassette requires. If Beto has a used lever to cannibalize for you, that would be your best option. There's also a chance that he will have a replacement that will index your rear derailleur -- or know where to get one for you.

And yes, it is possible to have items shipped from the States but it may be cheaper and easier to buy in Mexico.

I am going to stay out of this one. I only posted what I did because I heard mixed reviews from triathletes about this place. I have never been there and cannot make a personal judgement. Maybe it depends on what brand of components you are using. Because I heard some good reviews and some other not so much. They are probably good for most brands. I will stick with the shop in Merida or in the U.S. for any work on campy components. I am not a professional athlete but I am very particular about my bicycle. I take it everywhere with me and travelling from Mexico to the U.S and back.

Unfortunately that is true about Shimano components. They are not made to be repaired. Unlike parts made in Taiwan, Campy is hand made in Italy and made to last. And can be repaired. I can get any little parts and do many repairs myself. The only thing I like about Shimano is the brakes actually seem slightly stronger but not with the precision. You give up the preciseness of Campy though and Campagnolo is definitely still very very strong. Shimano is not made to last like Campagnolo. I have never rode SRAM parts, only Super Record and Dura Ace.

#7 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

Cabrillo's bike shop (I'm pretty sure that's the name if not it's really close) is the only shop for road bikes here. They do tune-ups and service bikes for tri-atheletes as far as I know. It's on 11 in a stip mall in back of Mega. Pretty much across the street from Ego gym and La Cuisine. Not sure about parts, pricing, or timelines as I've never had a bike worked on there but I know that's your only shot without leaving the island. Please post if you find it and if it works for you so we can reference that info. It's on 11 between Melgar and ave 10.

#8 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

post deleted

#9 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Elite Cyclery
Centro Comercial Las Plazas Outlet
Av. Andres Quintana Roo
SM 39, Mza 10, Lote 1, Local 48-B
Cancun, Quintana Roo

E-mail: info@elitecyclery.com

Telefono.: +52(998)206.3145

http://www.elitecyclery.com/#!

#10 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

When betos does not have the parts they get them. It is the only shop that uses only park tool tools and with over 27yrs experience you wont get any better here. They have pros and semi pros in cancun and merida that say his service much is better than anyplace in merida. They are also the official bike mechanic for team tbb, the local pro ironman team.
They specialize in high end bikes, road and tri alike. Some people don't understand that you don't use a truper wrench on a five thousand dollar bike. Which is why they invested lots into the proper tools.
Alex is also now certified as a bike fitter and implements a posture analysis with a local physical therapist for his bikefit sessions.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#11 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Betos only uses park tool tools. If they can't fix it they can order parts. Beto has 27yrs as a bike mechanic specializing in road and tri bikes. Alex is now a certified bikefitter.
They have pros in merida who want them to go there to do service on their bikes because no one there is as detailed as they are in adjustments and repairs. They are also the official team tbb mechanics for the local pro ironman team. Speaks pretty highly imho.
Some folks don't realize that you should not use a truper wrench on five thousand dollar bike. These guys do and have and use only the proper tools.

Sorry... my browser went away and i double posted.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#12 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

Park Tool is the best there is. I have a spoke tensioning tool. It is a precision piece of equipment. There are excellent mechanics in Merida. And I doubt you or I would be qualified to say definitively who is the best. I have heard good things about Betos but a few reports that were not so good. Like I had said I believe it is a good shop. And the couple of negative comments may have been due to the availability of parts or service on certain brands. I just know for Campy I have found everything in Merida.

#13 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

They also have the park tool truing setup. Some local triathletes are fine in letting a moto mechanic tweak their deraillers with junk tools on their high end carbon bikes with 105, ultegra or dura ace components since it costa less to fix. Some don't rinse their bikes after riding on the other side leading to horrific corrosion and don't realize that riding here frequently means a major overhaul every few months. Some want cycle sport (in front of gas station) prices for tuneups and think it's the same. Then later wonder why they need to spend much more on replacing all their cables etc. Very likely those are the triathletes who are complaining. I know several with that mindset.
That being said, they welcome all clients and if you want cheaper one can go elsewhere. He has a strong following.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#14 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

That is definitely not the type of triathletes I talk to. I do not want to get into a he said she said. I have never been there. Only heard reports. As I said I have heard some good reports. But myself and everyone I know will only use the VERY best tools. And for them cost is not the issue only quality. When someone spends up to ten thousand dollars ( most I think average around five thousand ) on a bike they only want the best. Park Tools are U.S. made and are the best. I have several myself including the spoke tensioning tool, cable stretcher, cone wrench, etc. I would love to have a trueing stand and that is my next purchase. I only true my own wheels. But when it comes to Campy components I will stay with Merida. I am very particular with my bike. I can find everything there I need. I am sure for Shimano Ultegra or Dura Ace etc. Betos is very good.

#15 Flev

Flev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

Does this Beto's/Cabrillo's bike shop still exist? I spent all day walking around in circles trying to find it without any luck. If someone knows where it is could they please let me know? Or if they know how to get in touch with Beto? Because this morning I found some people on road bikes and they told me to contact him through facebook but in order to do that I need him to accept my friend request and I have no idea if/when that will happen but I really need a road bike.

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

This is Beto's fb page.

You can send a message to him,(Or anyone else) and you do not have to be a "friend".  It will go into his "other" mail box when you use the message function on FB.

https://www.facebook...o.garcia.796569

Cabrillo's is owned by Dailene Erickson.,https://www.facebook...owser&fref=pymk

I know Cabrillo's is open, and I suspect Beto is as well.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users