13 replies to this topic

#1 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

Where could we rent or buy some good lighting for night snorkeling? We rented a couple underwater flashlights from Pepe's Dive Shop at Coral Princess for $24 after hearing from a couple who raved about a night snorkel at CP, but frankly, a Bic, Zippo, or a pack of matches would have produced more light. Couldn't see anything as they were so dim. And then our clothes disappeared...but that's another story. (We got them back).

#2 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:27 PM

Scuba repair on 1 between 90 ave and 85 will have lights. Not open on Sunday.
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#3 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:32 PM

have a blast doing a night snorkel....they can be quite fun. just please be aware of where the light is being pointed. if you are with someone and see something cool, wave the light erratically NEXT to the object, or make big circles, then point at it's tail, avoiding the eyes of the critters if at all possible. have fun!
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#4 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:37 AM

Thanks guys!

Besides Coral Princess, which we will probably try again with (hopefully) brighter lights, where else would you recommend for night snorkeling? Someone told me the area by the dock by Casa Mexicana is a good place to see octopuses (octopi?) True? We usually hit up Corona and Money Bar, but never been at night.

Thanks!

#5 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:00 PM

i used to do a sunset snorkel for the cruise ships at dzul ha (sorry, i have a hard time calling it the money bar...it is and always will be dzul ha to me).
we saw octopi, crabs, sharks (yes a nurse, perfectly harmless), turtles, squid, plenty of sleeping parrot fish (they cover themselves with a mucous at night and actually sleep), eels, etc. lots of great stuff to see for a night snorkel there.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:36 AM

your right Nauticab, it will always be Dzul Ha.

They should have kept the name...

Even during the day, look around the pier, I have always seen barracuda, and a great fish population.

At night, it would be spectacular.

Shoot, I remember when the hotel was there...

Now, you can buy a "low end" condo starting there at about 600K.

You can change everything around it, but you can't change the water...it is truly wonderful underwater there.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 GaryM

GaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, motorcycles, shooting, sailing, ATVs

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:35 AM

I have used a simple maglight for shallow water diving. Of course for scuba I use a real dive light but since I rarely go deeper than 10 feet with a snorkel a resonable quality waterproof flashlight works well.
Damnit, youth really is wasted on the young...

#8 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

Hmm. A regular Maglight, hadn't thought of that. Is Dzul Ha (I agree I hate the name Money Bar, it will always be Dzul Ha to us too!) open in the evenings other than weekends? I would imagine Corona would be closed. We always spend our evenings in town eating and drinking with great abandon but hadn't even considered a night snorkel at our day places...Great ideas! Thanks, can't wait! (we've seen nurse sharks - they are adorable!)

BTW, we saw a five foot (at least) barracuda at Dzul along the shoreline, one we hadn't seen before. We named him Walter, and he was our tour guide, swimming within a few feet of us for a very long way. Walter scared a bunch of other people out of the water...We found Walter to be a perfect gentleman/woman and an excellent tour guide.

#9 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:22 PM

Last May/June we were at Coral Princess and saw crocodiles swimming past there every night about dusk.

#10 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:25 PM

Nice to know, Pecosgirl. Barracudas and nurse sharks we are used to and trust (especially Walter), not sure of what to do with crocs! Yeeks!! I guess we will taste like chicken. Oh but what fun pictures, I will take my underwater camera!! We always stay along the wall at CP.

#11 GaryM

GaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, motorcycles, shooting, sailing, ATVs

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:39 PM

Note to self.
Keep an eye out for crocodiles when in water at night..... :unsure:
Damnit, youth really is wasted on the young...

#12 Jean Mc

Jean Mc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:48 AM

In February, we spotted a single croc in broad daylight straight out from Villa Aldora (north of town, south of the marina).

#13 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:49 AM

I hope you are kidding about the Croc's by the C.P., it is up at the north end isn't it??
Last trip I went night snorkling a few times just south of there and this time we are staying very close to there.
I will never get my wife in the Ocean now....

#14 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:26 PM

Okay guys, what's the scoop? How big was the croc, Pecosgirl and Jean Mc? Anyone else have any experiences? I googled Cozumel croc attacks, nada, nearest I found was a drunken Irishman in Cancun leapt into a murky lagoon on a bet and got bitten. I also saw some pics of a baby croc on TA that were reportedly taken up north. Coral Princess seems like an ideal night snorkel, but I guess we will pay someone to watch our stuff as well as us! Hopefully Dzul Ha is croc free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users