36 replies to this topic

#1 hollybyegolly

hollybyegolly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

Hello,
My brother inlaw was just detained in the Cozumel airport. They found some 22 shells in the lining of his coat. He was hunting last October and forgot he had them in his coat. My sister called me and said they can hold him for 48 hrs. I am sure that all depends if they get paid. She said that they are sending the ammunition over to Cancun to ballistics to be analised. She said the cops were nice and said this happens about twice a month. She said they might take him to cancun tomorrow to see the judge I am assuming. Has anyone down in your neck of the woods new anyone that this has happened to? Or is familiar what the procedure is this for getting out of Mexico? Any idea what the fine might be for a is take like this? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

He needs legal representation immediately. Call Gisela Rodriguez

She speaks perfect English. Do not rely on the consulate. All they can do is give him a list of lawyers. Gisela is good and speaks excellent English.
Everything is probably fine but it would do no harm to have a local lawyer watching out for your bro in law's interests as things progress.
Please keep us posted. Perhaps I am overreacting but lawyers don't cost much down here compared to the states and if I were in his shoes, I would want a legal rep who spoke English at my side during all of this.

Email: gisela@cozumellawyer.com
Telephone: (987) 8785408
Outside Mexico: 011 52 1 987 8785408
US Telephone: (541) 603 0698

#3 hollybyegolly

hollybyegolly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Ok Thankyou I am trying to get ahold of my sister right now

#4 hollybyegolly

hollybyegolly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

Ok Carey I got her the information. Now I guess it is the waiting game. Any idea on how the conditions are in the cozumel Jail? Thanks

#5 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

That can be a very serious criminal charge. Being arrested at the airport adds Federal charges into the mix. There were a couple of cases in the past year where people were discovered to "accidentally, unknowingly" possess ammo when going through security leaving Cozumel. Somehow it went unnoticed by TSA Homeland Insecurity in the U.S.

Mexico has very strict laws regarding possessing guns and ammo (even though the country is awash from weapons from the States). Being a case of smuggling, importation makes charges even more serious. I would not delay contacting and retaining the services of an attorney, Gisela Rodriguez is recommended. He needs advice and representation before seeing a judge. Consulate should be notified by officials, but would most likely be less than worthless.

You should prepare to have access to cash money which could run several thousand dollars (but most likely required to be paid in pesos) if you/he are lucky. Good luck.

PS See if you can bring him food and beverages in jail, even a bottle of water. Conditions are not pleasant.

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

Re the Cozumel jail...it won't be a very comfortable night, I'm sure, bless his heart.

But no harm will come to him. Don't worry about that.

Please keep us posted as best you can. We're all fingers crossed on this!

Charles is correct re having the access to plenty of pesos. Debit cards at an ATM is good. That will cough out pesos. Credit cards they start charging you immediately when used in ATM's but if you need the money fast it would be worth it. Money can be wired from the US but will take 24 hours to show up typically.

#7 hollybyegolly

hollybyegolly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

Re the Cozumel jail...it won't be a very comfortable night, I'm sure, bless his heart.

But no harm will come to him. Don't worry about that.

Please keep us posted as best you can. We're all fingers crossed on this!

Charles is correct re having the access to plenty of pesos. Debit cards at an ATM is good. That will cough out pesos. Credit cards they start charging you immediately when used in ATM's but if you need the money fast it would be worth it. Money can be wired from the US but will take 24 hours to show up typically.

They flew out of milwaukee. I dont know how it wasn't detected.

#8 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

#9 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

I'd scramble in preparations to obtain cash money. Call your bank/banks to notify them of potential ATM withdrawals and to raise personal daily limits. Wiring money via Western Union is an option, but there are limits to the amount permitted to be sent....$1,500 dollars (?). Casas de cambio can change cash U.S. dollars, but banks I believe the limit is $300 dollars per day. There were recent changes in currency laws intended to restrict money laundering, but all the regulations make things complicated in situations that only cash works. If more money is needed to be transferred than permitted in a single name, you may need to have more than one name, one person receive it. Names must match exactly to passport IDs presented. It wouldn't be a bad idea to contact your/his Congressional representatives or have their numbers. Get money and rattle cages is about all that can be done.

I hope someone has managed to contact Gisela Rodriguez. It may be a requirement for him to be transported to Cancun regardless since Federal charges will probably be involved. It would be far better to remain on the island if that is possible.

Trust Gisela and if for any reason she is unable or not available, alternative lawyers exist, but the basic rule is to trust no one. The officials involve know that this would be a minimal offense in the U.S., but are bound by Mexican law and there is serious pressure to stem the tide of munitions being imported. You can't start a revolution with some .22s, hopefully they weren't .223s, but it is a serious criminal charge.

Decades ago when I drove across the border, I stripped my car, removed seats, unscrewed & opened vents to make certain there were no stray bullets, not even spent shell casings long lost hidden away for this very reason.

#10 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

Get your congressman AND your senator involved immediately. These people have staff specially assigned to deal with problems brought in by constituents. Don't be shy. If they can help your bro in law word spreads quickly and its great for votes.

Start getting those pesos spitting out of the ATM's etc.

And get him books and food.

Don't worry too much about him in any jail because even if they send him to Cancun, he will be befriended by one or more Mexicans who hope that by helping him in the jail, he will remember and help them later when he gets out.

So no fears for his personal safety. But he will be uncomfortable so books/magazines in English -- not easily available in these parts -- will give him something to distract his mind while this is sorted out.

Keep us posted and ask questions as needed. We'll try to help.

#12 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

#13 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

#14 hollybyegolly

hollybyegolly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

Thanks guys. Lets just wait and see what happens tomorrow. No visits yet please

#15 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

You can send up to $2999 to the bank of your choosing on the island or to Elektra to be picked up. It is there within an hour, maybe less. Go to Xoom.com & sign up for free. It only costs $4.99 per transfer.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#16 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

I haven't a clue why your posts aren't showing up, Steve although they came into my in box as administrator. You are kind to offer to take him some reading material but it sounds like the family is getting it covered. Fingers crossed all round!!!

#17 hollybyegolly

hollybyegolly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:34 AM

Hi all,
I just put a message through to geisha Rodriguez. I didn't get her personally but we left her a message on her answering machine. Any advice. Ok my sister I guess or through to an attorney. Don't know who is. your correct us conselate is good for sh*t.

#18 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

COZUMEL, 10 de marzo.- El extranjero Newman Thomas Lee fue detenido en el Aeropuerto Internacional de Cozumel, toda vez que durante la revisión en los puestos de inspección del equipaje se hallaron entre sus pertenencias un total de 13 cartuchos útiles, calibre 25, mismos que fueron asegurados por elementos de la Policía Federal Preventiva (PFP), procediéndose a la puesta a disposición del Ministerio Público del Fuero Federal (MPFF) de la Procuraduría General de la República, para los trámites correspondientes.
La mañana de este domingo trascendió que en las instalaciones de la Procuraduría General de la República (PGR) se tenía a una persona de sexo masculino detenida, toda vez que durante la revisión de maletas en el Punto de Inspección de Personas y Equipaje (PIPE), habilitado en el interior del aeropuerto internacional, se encontró a través del sistema de Rayos X, una mochila que en su interior tenía 13 cartuchos útiles calibre 25 milímetros, marca W.W. los cuales resultaron ser propiedad de Newman Thomas Lee, de 60 años de edad.
El detenido, que es originario de Winsconsin, USA, pretendía realizar su viaje en el vuelo 1546 a través de la aerolínea United Airlines, con destino a Houston, Texas en el vuelo de las 11:05 horas de este mismo domingo, sin embargo, debido a su detención y los cartuchos asegurados, se le trasladó a la PGR donde ya se hizo la puesta a disposición del sujeto, mismo que deberá de rendir su declaración y probablemente para este lunes podría definirse su situación legal. Este es el primer caso de detención por aseguramiento de cartuchos útiles que se registra en el aeropuerto en lo que va del año.
Cabe mencionar que trascendió que el detenido viajaba acompañado de una persona que podría ser su familiar, y a quien se le facilitó todo tipo de información para poder contactar al consulado norteamericano, a la vez que esperan que se esclarezca la situación de Newman Thomas Lee.

#19 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

If someone is on Cozumel, the fastest way to reach Gisela is her iphone. From a landline dial: 044 987 878 5408. From a cellphone, leave off the 044.

#20 hollybyegolly

hollybyegolly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Ok my sister got her credit limits upped on some of her cards. My sister told me she has a niiece that works for the us consulet or how ever you spell that in Mexico City. She contactedthem and they are looking into it. They said theywill get attorney representation for him. Whatever that means. So all I know is pesos are starting to be accumulated. Us consulet in Mexico City is aware of it. We have calls into attorneys in cozumel. Brotherbinlaw still sitting in jail

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users