• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

Steve, call 4 and the short street flood from time to time, on very heavy rains some of the units get an inch of water or so..., I lived there many years back.

Charles that's calle 4 between 30 and 35!

Yes that Apt is on 4th between 30 and 35. There are some people who work at Diamonds International who live in those apts. They might recognize the thiefs.

Traveler as well as flooding on that short private street I believe most of the houses on that half block are not hooked up to the sewer on 4th. I know several people that have had problems with the sewers in houses on that block. I think it is called Villas del Caribe. But could be wrong about that.

#22 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

Charles I was wrong and so are all the stories. It was 35 and 30 bis. I found the house on Google. But Since it is on a street between 12th and 14th I assumed it was 12 bis like the one story had it. But it is not marked on the map. So I went down the street on Google and the street sign says 30 bis not 12 bis. So the Van was definitely abandoned on the corner of 35 and 30 bis. That is the street across from Bello Caribe on 30th and two streets up to the corner with 35.

#23 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

I lived in Villas de Caribe for two years before and during the construction of those apartments. Flooding? no me digas! In the wisdom of the Novelos, they built a "tope" to keep the water from coming in from calle 4. That only functioned as a dam and during heavy rains, some of the houses could get more than four inches of water. We had to keep boards and de facto sand bags to keep our place under two inches in the living room. We lived in Kelly's house for six months across the street from the arrests. I wonder if Michael's photos were taken from the roof. It would have been a bird's eye view for sure. We lived on 30th just past calle 12 for a few years, but much has changed since then.

Those apartments were OK when new, but small. In the past five years they have lots of temporary renters and fewer long term renters. It had been becoming more transient in their tenants. I think they have had the same for rent sign for ten years, almost always space available. That block of calle 4 has always flooded and can be unpleasant.

#24 liverbird

liverbird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

Those armed forces look pretty scary, to say the least. I don't understand why anyone would plan a robbery on one of the busiest roads on the island, when there is a cruise ship in, and in broad daylight.

Is there a reason why the men arrested, as shown in the photos, have no shirts on? Is that a police tactic?

#25 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

i say inside job. the head of security at diamonds aupposedly happens to live there too. could be chisme (gossip). just sayin.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#26 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:57 AM

Those armed forces look pretty scary, to say the least. I don't understand why anyone would plan a robbery on one of the busiest roads on the island, when there is a cruise ship in, and in broad daylight.

Is there a reason why the men arrested, as shown in the photos, have no shirts on? Is that a police tactic?

Four cruise ships in port, but timed to hit when passengers were boarding. When you have a successful plan, it sure worked the first time. This one was even more strategically planned and executed with precision. As before and according to plan, those in charge escape with the loot and let the expendable actors be arrested in diversion. That saves the promised $50,000 pesos per person cut of the deal.

An inside job? I don't think so. They had a proven track record, they did all the research last time. Having two men disarm the on duty guard and then using two taxis to block Megar in both directions were a nice touch to aid their get away. The loot was probably on the boat like last time before they managed to return to the apartments, scene of arrests. I wonder if police were tipped like last time by those in charge. Everyone arrested talked the last time, told all they knew, but none knew any info on the intellectual author. I hope the criminal element read the news more or did a google search of their target, if so they should have known there would be nothing in it for them. If they had half a brain, they would have demanded money in advance. Cheap, expendable labour, but left holding an empty bag.

Some shirtless might have been a quick means of insuring no weapons hidden and police like identifying photos of tattoos.

I hope the employees are doing OK, this is quite a traumatic experience and couldn't have been easier on them being a second time.

#27 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

charles with all due respect, if you were here you would know that now there is a major investigation, INTERNAL investigation, as to the robbery, the managers, and security at DI. it happened way before they could get on a ferry and now they are saying the total stolen jewels/watches (yet to be recovered, of course) are valued at over 4 million DOLLARS.
the ferries don't board in advance. usually 5 min before the hour and always leave late. and the new police force is much faster at reacting and getting the navy and army involved, which attributes to the quick arrest, albeit sans the headman. the first thing they do is check the ferry situation.
i still say inside job. insurance covers the robbery, the insiders keep the jewels, sales are down anyway, etc etc...just repeating what i have read and heard.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#28 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

Perhaps I have a different perspective on just how things work and can read the papers too. You had two break in robberies too. I never thought of the possibility of an inside job.

According to newspaper reports, the man "pollo" left on an earlier ferry and was safely on the mainland long before the attack began. The last time the "loot" left via speed boat out of Puerta Abrigo landing close to Puerto Morelos. A quick ride in a stolen vehicle abandoned in Cancun and they melted into the landscape. Two days later the second in command, the only one connected to the intellectual author was executed in Mexico City. A pretty good job of covering any potential liability risk.

I can't publicly disclose accounting and inventory methods employed which can fuel misdirected public gossip about lack of providing facturas. They're barking up the wrong tree on that one. One incident like this does far more long term damage than any insurance coverage could provide. Few if any jewelry companies purchase their inventory. If they are not the manufacturers of products, most merchandise, especially watches are consignment. No advantage to get paid insurance for what is owed elsewhere. If you knew the size and scale of the family Gad owned company, their very minor division is DI, most is all wholesale in diamond cutting and jewelry wholesale, it is laughable to consider an inside job. Any idea the size and breathe of the International diamond market, wonder why people weren't taking the diamonds too? Diamonds are far, far more valuable and have the added advantage of small size and easy to pass through airport security. They knew better than to try to heist diamonds, then they were really be in trouble. They stuck with the watches which are probably scattering in the wind.

#29 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

i never mentioned the gads. i said inside job. even a cop today told me it was likely and inside job. however the situation it is interesting.
there was no need to mention my burgleries....my 2 girls have been with me for 10 years and their family is mine. mine were simple operations, i didn't have insurance, and the thugs who did it are probably in jail as we (myself and ministerio publico) believe the same guys who stole from telcel on 30th, my friend's bike, and robertos 500,000peso robbery the day after mine are the same ones who broke into my store. same MO, but my stuff is easy to get rid of and sell.
so basically there is ZERO correlation to the two types of theft, mine and diamonds.
interesting that a C-4 employee (similar to 911) is involved here!
http://informativovo...implicados.html
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users