Hello From Snowy Wisconsin

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tosajohnsons

tosajohnsons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Diving, old houses, running, old Fords, Fantasy Fest.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

Hello all -- we are two lifelong Wisconsinites who have fallen in love with Cozumel. It's on our short list of possible places to relocate. We are looking forward to getting to know you all via this forum and reading about your experiences and insights. We will be there in May. We love to connect with anyone who lives there and loves to share their wisdom about Cozumel as a home. Our decompression day is Thursday, May 16 and we'd love to meet (we'll buy) at one of the local establishments in San Miguel. Please let us know if you are interested.

Dan and Paula
Dan & Paula

#2 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

Welcome! We too fell in love with Cozumel, and are totally addicted to the island. We have to come down at least 3 times a year. We did discover, after many trips, that living there is not for us. Please do your homework, and visit the many threads here with excellent advice.

#3 divern2h20

divern2h20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Dawn,
If you don't mind sharing, what made you decide that Coz full time was not for you?
My wife and I have been doing the 2-3 trips a year since 1996.We still can't decide if we want it full time, we are 60 and 62 still work full time. We plan to spend 4-5 "winter months" a couple times before we decide. I guess we need to try summer also but we still have things we like doing at home during the summers.

Anyone else your input would be helpful.
Thanks

#4 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

Sure. We like where we're at, three out of four seasons here in the States are wonderful! When we retire, we would love to spend winter on the island. When we come down, it's with great excitement and anticipation, new, no matter how many times we come down. What I see with some folks who live on the island full time, is it's no longer "vacation", it's day-to-day, just like back home. Not to say it won't work for you, but right now, it's not for us.

#5 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

On December 7, 2010, we moved to Cozumel full time after selling literally everything we owned in the US. We have never regretted a moment. I think living here is what you make of it. Yes, there is the same everyday things that must be done. And, yes, there are moments of true frustration weaving your way through the bureaucracy and red tape of certain things. However, that's part of the adventure!

Shopping is the most interesting adventure. You could go to 4 or 5 stores and still not find what you want. But you learn to improvise and enjoy the experimentation of it all. Every day I am at the pool where I live I wonder at the beauty of Cozumel. I do the same thing driving to dinner or anywhere else I may be going. The east side is still spectacular every time I go. Seeing the wonder in my friends' eyes when they see Cozumel for the first time is a real treat.

I believe that I am truly blessed to live in such an amazing piece of paradise. Wherever you live, your outlook makes it what it is. I used to live in a small town in East Texas. Very quaint. I had 21 beautiful acres with a peach grove and a pond. However, I wasn't happy there; my heart was here on the island. So we moved.

You'll know in your heart if Cozumel is where you belong, be it full time or part time.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#6 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

We agree with what Kandy said as we did the same. At first the plan was to live here in the winter and back to Colorado in the summer. We will stay here as it is our home. I will say that of course it becomes day to day living but as I retired at 62 and my wife at 57 we do not have to do anything if we do not want too and this is a great place to do that. We kept our house in Colorado along with three others that as they become empty they will simply just sell off.Piece of cake but it is hot here. Expectation,s are the key to it all.

#7 tosajohnsons

tosajohnsons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for the responses, we appreciate the perspectives. We have never tired of an adventure and a challenge. We have a strong desire to move someplace warm and really enjoy Cozumel. Moving to any different location would have it's challenges. We look forward to reading and engaging more in this on-line community. Thank you!
Dan & Paula

#8 Regiomontano

Regiomontano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hola and welcome to the fórum and WELCOME TO THE ISLAND

#9 tosajohnsons

tosajohnsons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

We have a busy few weeks coming up, but would still love to get together with a few folks who’ve made the move to Cozumel. This Friday we leave for a long weekend in Vegas with our adult sons (our first visit.) We are home for a few days before flying to Seattle where my wife has an interview. Then that Friday May 10 we leave for Mexico and five days of diving. Our hope is to meet up with a few folks in town on our decompression day (May 17) for a beer and some discussion. Please let us know if you are interested. Have a great week! D&P, Tosa Wisconsin.
Dan & Paula

#10 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

Just let us know where and when. We'll do our best to be there.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users