• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Aceite quemado is toxic. Fresh oil has lighter hydrocarbons but used oil is toxic. Good luck getting 15 years out of one.

I just do not really like palapas. Mostly for the maintenance. But I also think they are messy. And they rot. And I definitely would not want to take it down and put it back up whenever there is a threat of a hurricane. When they are new I LOVE the look but would not want one of my own. After they weather and turn color I don't really care for them either. I can think of many alternatives that would function just as well and look very nice and cheaper. And without the mess and maintenance.

Interestingly I met a guy in Texas who was an expert palapa builder. He was from the Philippines were they first originated. And they have the best builders in the world for palapas. They are relatively new to Mexico dating back a few hundred years. They are popular in the Philippines because they are relatively simple to build and the materials are readily available. This person could tell you the history of palapas and all the different materials that have been used over time. I really learned allot. I had assumed, incorrectly, before then that they originated in this region. But I was wrong.

Originally palapa roofs were always palms. But the best coverings still attract insects, rodents and birds that can damage them. And are subject to mold. If I were to ever decide to build a palapa I would pay extra for synthetic thatching. Which does not have any of the problems that the palm roofs have. I just don't really like them except for the look when they are very new. But that gets old. This friend showed me a roof he did with the synthetic covering that did look real and was very beautiful, can withstand a category 4 hurricane and does not need netting. Made of PVC and lasts pratically a lifetime. I am looking forward to seeing how it holds up in the sun and if it changes color. The roof I saw was I believe about 8 or 9 years old and still looked like a new roof with no signs of wear. No mess, no insects, no mold or mildew, no treatment, no maintenance, clean, washable with even a pressure washer and totally fireproof. There are some brands that do not meet fire code but this one has the top rating. I have a card somewhere with the manufacturer.

#22 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

when an adronomo zootecnista (agricultura engineer), born and raised in quintana roo, with palapa roof homes in Kantulikin, Holbox, and surrounding areas with his ranches, tells me that the best way to protect your zapote palapas is by using aceite quemado, i use aceite quemado. palapas here are built with a very hard wood, zapote, that does NOT rot, you need to drill it to get a hole it is so hard. sacate thatch, as mentioned in my previous post, is the kind that is dirty. guano thatch DOES NOT DRIP.

i did not clarify that we would only have to take it down if it is a very strong cat 3 or above cat 4 hurricane. not just any threat of a storm. it was one of the first things i checked with the builder.

any kind of plastic will fade here in this sun. if you have a modern looking house, or even retro look, a fake palapa might work ok. most homes don't fit this look but hey, to each his own.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#23 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

Relax. I never said aceite quemado does not protect it. I really do not have any opinion about that. Not in my area of expertice. I said it is toxic, that is all. I am familiar with how hard it is. I watched someone try to nail into it with a air gun and could not. I know how hard it is. But any wood will rot. Even Zapote. Ipe, Garapa, Teak, Ulin, Cypress, Cedar and Red wood will rot. Even pressure treated woods will rot. Even Iron Wood which has been said to be the only wood that will NEVER rot will still rot. Just probably not in your lifetime. I think the only wood that will not rot is petrified wood. In my opinion all types of thatch are messy. And attract bugs and insects and will mold, mildew, rot, decay, weather and change color.

But you are wrong about the synthetics fading. The one I am aware of and have seen after being installed eight on nine years earlier does not fade. It has a 20 year warranty against fading. I have looked into it. It will withstand a category four hurricane when other palapa coverings blew away. And they have styles and colors to mimic any type of thatch and any color. Even if you want the new look or the weathered look. Over 100 styles and colors to match any situation. The synthetic I saw was beautiful and after 8 or 9 years looked like a new roof. You are obviously not aware of the different synthetics. I do not think there is a type of thatch that they have not duplicated. You can even get they real bushy weathered look. They have them to look like a new roof or a 15 year old roof. None will rot, decay or fade.

#24 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

As always you are right and the expert of all and everything or know the experts of all and everything. Cement rots for petes sake. flame retardant optional is not fire proof. looked at many of these websites and they just look fake. there is no realness to them and nothing beats the sound of the wind blowing through a real palapa. for someone living in the states who wanted this look, it is probably a good idea since most people don't know what a palapa is and can't appreciate their beauty when built properly.
you might simply be best off getting the sun shades.
I will leave you to educate the masses since anything i say you choose to dismiss or disprove with your extensive research. In the meantime i will enjoy my beautiful guano palapa that after 3 years has yet to form mold, does not drip, sans bugs and birds with my (probably) ant free icf home which remains at a comfy temp with no a/c even in the heat of summer when i still have to use a blanket.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#25 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

You probably mean concrete rot. Because cement is just a powder. They are NOT organic and do NOT rot. Cement combined with sand and gravel create concrete. There is a term "concrete rot". But concrete will not rot. What I do know is that the term "concrete rot" refers to rebar that is corroding inside concrete and as it breaks down it will expand causing the concrete to crumble. I do love to research. And I was only sharing things that I know but always encouraged others to do their own research rather than take mine or your word on anything. Others should check things out for themselves. I only share what I have found out. And always encourage people to check for themselves and come to their own conclusions.

You take things way to personal. I mean no offense. Just in search of the facts.

Fire proof, flame resistant CLASS A rating, not flame retardant. Just like your ICF's are fire proof or flame resistant. Really not interested in what sites you looked at. The product I have seen has been in business for over ten years and ships all over the world and has been used on some of the largest resorts in the world. Even replacing roofs in the Phillipines where palapas originated. The building I saw done is a huge project in Houston. Nothing fake about that.

#26 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

no morenita.... you purposefully go after any opinion or comment i make to tell people i am wrong or that it can not be true. or that it is toxic, or that it is against what all your extensive google/bing/yahoo research has found, or doesn't jive with what you know with your few years living here. you are not from here. you may be mexican but are not from here. what works in other parts of mexico or in the states will often not work here. as you know, the yucatan peninsula is really "not" mexico as the customs, dialect, weather, and way of life is very different from the rest of the country.
traveller has more years living here than most everyone on this board and i have a great deal of respect for his knowledge of the history. yet you argue with him and correct him about the proper verbage for a local animal. i have been here full time for 13 years, working and owning a business the whole time, plus had 6 more years visiting prior to moving here. my husband's family has over 6 generations here. my suegra is 100% maya. the men who built our home are maya living here for over 40yrs. the engineer for our home is from this area and works extensively with CAPA. yet anything i say is rubbish in your expert opinion. CZMDM, traveller, carey and i are more cozumelenos than you know.
we have agreed on the place for good OJ. that is basically it.

you come across as knowledgeable on many topics. or are a very efficient researcher. i have no problem agreeing to disagree, but your constant bashing of pretty much everything i have to say has crossed the line one too many times. i find your comments over the top and rather amusing (when not meant to be) and quite "know it all" when you were completely incorrect. but you have been personal, on many occasions, even so far as to doubt my mothering skills in the past (you stepped into the lion's lair on that one).

good luck with whatever you chose to use (this is for the original poster to this thread). sorry you had to read the novels of "research" in between the local know how of what works.

consider this my final post on this forum. while my opinions have seemed to help many (from what i have been told) and i am labelled a "guru" by the admin, i will pass the baton to you as you seem to much more valuable in your eyes and you come across as if everyone should follow your word.
goodbye Cozmycoz. those who know me and would like to hear from me, you know where to find me.

carey, i do hope, for the good of the board, and also to see if there can be some kind of shift of the negative vibe going on on this forum, that you choose, for this once, to NOT delete or edit this post. i wanted to say much much more, but backed off. out of respect for my contributions over the past several years, please keep this one as it is.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#27 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

Wow. You got all that from basically the idea that I have friends who have had serious ant infestations in homes with Polystyrene and you like ICF's. And that I think Palapa's are messy and rot and you like them. Really sorry if you think I was personally attacking you. It was not my intention and meant no offense. My apology. PAZ

And my MOST sincere apology to Traveler if he ever thought I was being critical or argumentative. I also respect his opinion and knowledge. Very much. I would never want to offend him. People correct my English every day and I am very thankful for it. I can do much better here because of spell check. But I love being corrected. It helps me learn. And God knows with my English I really need it.

The "I have been here longer than you" line seems to be common. I can tell you I have plenty of knowledge of and love for my culture. I was born in Mexico City and you are right I have not lived my entire life in Cozumel. But I also have generations of family who were born in Cozumel and lived their entire lives there. I am qualified to talk about how things are in Cozumel. And I have probably been to more parts of Mexico than most anyone on this board. I do not need a lecture about my culture from anyone. Or the differences between Cozumel and the rest of my country. Believe me I know what the differences are. And do not need anybody to tell me. I have seen them.

On the other hand if all you know is Cozumel than you do not have an understanding of the real culture of Mexico. They are very different. Many customs and traditions have been all but lost here in Cozumel. For example where I grew up starting on Wednesday, miercoles de ceniza, through Saturday of semana santa you would not listen to the radio or watch TV ending on sabado de gloria. And the weeks observances are very different than here. Even about when you should bath. There is no comparison to what it is like here. I do not consider myself Catholic but I appreciate all the traditions and customs from Mexico. Christmas is not celebrated there like it is in Cozumel and neither is three kings day, or any other holiday for that matter. Much has been lost in Cozumel. Spend a Christmas in Oaxaca and you will see some real traditions. The breaking of the plates and the sculptures of rabanos. At the end of every festival in Cozumel I would find myself saying 'is that all" " it's over already" "what happened to the traditions". We celebrate things much differently in my family. So yes I do know the customs here and in Mexico also.

I have no problem with Nauticab's post not being edited or deleted. I think it should stay. Everyone should be allowed to say what they want. I am sure there would be some exceptions but none would apply in this case.

#28 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

Some of you may want to attend Deconarq 2013 in Cancun...., I go every year..., it's free. You can do the trip in one day or do an overnighter and get in some shopping, have a good meal or two and expand your comfort zone. Yes, it is safe!

Deconarq 2013: http://www.deconarq....nformacion.html

#29 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

I just want to add something about the PVC roof. If this is what I call a tension fabric roof, many of them are indeed designed to withstand a hurricane. However, I have had one case where the hurricane warranty was voided when a flying object from the hurricane hit the fabric and tore a hole in it.

It turned out to be a nasty court case.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#30 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

I just want to add something about the PVC roof. If this is what I call a tension fabric roof, many of them are indeed designed to withstand a hurricane. However, I have had one case where the hurricane warranty was voided when a flying object from the hurricane hit the fabric and tore a hole in it.

It turned out to be a nasty court case.

Good point and there WILL be flying objects. Tinancos for one. We lost an entire gate in Wilma. A huge -- 10 ft wide by 7 ft high gate. Broke loose from its hinges that were cemented into the wall openings and went tearing on down the avenida.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users