Photo

Mega Or Chedraui, Which Is Best For You And Why?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Which one you like best and why? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Ditto

1. Mega (6 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Chedraui (2 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. bodega aurrera (Mama lucha) (1 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

4. soriana (2 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

5. San Francisco de Asis (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Another (1 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Regiomontano

Regiomontano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

Please answer the poll and tell us why...

#2 Regiomontano

Regiomontano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

My personal answer I STILL IN DOUBT...i made this poll to help me figure that out...and know what to look for where...

#3 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

we shop them all including sorianna on 30 ave. and Aki on 65.
no one ever has everthing you are looking for you jus have to shop.
to asnwer your milk question no no no no (fresh milk) on the island playa has it mega used to have it but no more
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

Super San Francisco de Asis isn't a choice?

Seriously, though, before I could answer your question I'd need to know "for what"? I can't think of a supermarket on the island that reliably meets all my needs.

#5 Regiomontano

Regiomontano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

Super San Francisco de Asis isn't a choice?

Seriously, though, before I could answer your question I'd need to know "for what"? I can't think of a supermarket on the island that reliably meets all my needs.

Sorry about that San Francisco has been added to the poll...

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

The San Francisco D'Assis used to be the big fancy grocery store. Now it has really slid down the hill with not nearly as much to offer as the other stores mentioned. We all shop a lot of the stores but I favor the Mega for the easy parking. The produce tends to be better at the Ched but the fish and meat and bakery sections are much better at the Mega. But there will be specialty items I can only get at the Ched like Tillymook sharp cheddar cheese. The Soriana is pretty small but has a lot of fans especially since their renovation a few years back. If you need produce that is ready to eat right now -- like avocados for guacamole, for example -- best bet is usually the Mercado.

The little Sedena market at the corner of the waterfront and airport blvd is the only grocery on the island that carries the real Mexican vanilla -- not the artificual stuff.

Excellent deli is Guidos Deli on 15 with I believe it's 12 norte. Home made pastas and sauces and deli meats and cheeses you will tend not to find at the groceries on the island. There's a little Lebanese take out place that carries hard to find items like stuffed grape leaves and the like plus their own hummus, yogurt, etc. It's on the west side of 30 in the middle of the block between Morelos and Calle 5. Right next door to one of the best bbq'd chicken places in town.

Sam's Club has dismal produce but good prices on meat, chicken, pork. Better prices on liquor than elsewhere. And they have some excellent choices in the cheese and smoked meat departments. They giant wedges of parmesan grate up wonderfully and are very good quality. Got some guyere there recently that was also good.

As has been reported, there is no 'fresh' milk. We enjoyed it for about ?? 6 months at the Mega and then I guess they gave up on trying to get it across on the ferry in non refridgerated trucks or something. Because it is no more. I used to buy 4 gallons when I saw it and freeze 3 of them. Ja Ja

#7 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

I'd like to give a shout out to Pacsadeli. Just noticed that it hadn't been mentioned. They have 1/2 & 1/2 (the real stuff), real sour cream and a ton of other things that are not available in a lot of the other stores.

#8 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

The little Sedena market at the corner of the waterfront and airport blvd is the only grocery on the island that carries the real Mexican vanilla -- not the artificual stuff.

Not really, although the Orlando brand at Sedena is highly-regarded. Mega has a nice, inexpensive all-natural vanilla. They also have an artificial one with a very similar label so you have to look carefully.

#9 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

Actually, even though I mentioned San Francisco, I find it really depressing. One thing they do have that other places don't is Kukulcan and XO brands of xtabentun, both of which I prefer over D'Aristi, at significantly lower prices than at Covi next door.

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

Not really, although the Orlando brand at Sedena is highly-regarded. Mega has a nice, inexpensive all-natural vanilla. They also have an artificial one with a very similar label so you have to look carefully.

Could you tell me where exactly in the Mega you found that vanilla. Because I have scoured both Ched and Mega within the last 6 weeks with no luck and I also ask.

#11 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

Actually, even though I mentioned San Francisco, I find it really depressing. One thing they do have that other places don't is Kukulcan and XO brands of xtabentun, both of which I prefer over D'Aristi, at significantly lower prices than at Covi next door.

I have not run into xtabentun. Looked it up and it sounds like something I should try (I like greek oozo). Wikipedia had some interesting facts about its use by the ancient maya.

Origin
Xtabentún may have its origin in balché, a ceremonial liquor produced by the Maya.[2] The strong flavor did not appeal to the Spanish conquistadores, so they introduced anise and took away the tree bark and corn.

Etymology
The word xtabentún means "vines growing on stone" in the Mayan language. It refers to the Christmas vine (Turbina corymbosa), a species of morning glory whose seeds contain ergine and have hallucinogenic properties. This has led Jonathan Ott to suggest that balché may also have had entheogenic qualities, although this remains to be demonstrated.[1] The ancient Maya likely would have enjoyed the inebriating effects of a similar beverage to produce visionary and trance states. To do this, they would introduce the fluid into their systems using enemas which caused it to be directly absorbed into the bloodstream and result in much higher levels of intoxication.

#12 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

Mstevens, you are keeping secrets again! :lol: I will have to get a couple bottle and do a taste test.

Dan, If you want to run into Xtabentun, the best introduction is a trip to El Moro. Ray will give you some as an after dinner cordial. Ask him to tell the story too.

Or you can watch it canned here:

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#13 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

The Mega vanilla is a bit on-again/off-again. One time I was trying to buy a bottle and a couple were scooping every single one into a cart.

It's at the end of an aisle down near the fish where the fake vanilla is, typically mixed in from people moving bottles around. The label is pretty unimpressive and generic-looking. I'll try to remember to get a photo of the label when I get home.

#14 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

Mega - if they don't have it I don't need it! Of course we are only there in a condo for 12 days so it is easy to be flexible. We have gone to all the others, but Mega is so clean and well organized comparitively. Sedana is great when you just need a couple basics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users