6 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:50 AM

I know we shouldn't complain after reading about the Snowmaggedon that is hitting parts of the US, but haven't there been a heck of a lot of nortes this year? (Strong winds from the north associated with bad weather in the US or Canada. Short bouts of rain are usually involved as well.)

How has the weather this year impacted on the diving, Mike? What's the wind speed cut off for closing the port to small crafts like dive boats? And how many times have they done it so far this year?

#2 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:59 AM

Allthough it is the wind that causes disruption of any watersport activities, it is the direction of the wind that makes the big difference. It is quite common to have winds blowing 14-20kts out of the East and the West side (diving side) can still look like a lake. Our wind patterns normally come from the East except during Nortes (where the wind blows from the North...hence Norte).But when the wind turns and comes out of the North or especially out of the NW then big waves can build up on the West side, along with lots of surge and turbid water. Obviously (to me) if the wind is blowing at 20 kts out of the NW the port will be closed, but wind speed alone does not determine how the sea acts as much as the combination of higher wind speeds coupled with a change in the wind direction with wind from the NW being more likely to close the port.

We had a really rough January with the wind. We missed over a week of diving and more Nortes appear to be on their way.

Cozumel Diving

#3 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:22 PM

The Dallas/Ft. Worth area is basically shut down today due to a massive snow storm. We could be in for another Norte in the next 2-3 days.

Cozumel Diving

#4 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:12 PM

Dallas passed an all time record snowfall, yesterday, with 11.2" and from Thurs 4am to Fri 4am the accumulation was 2.5 inches

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

it has gotten cold out here (Mariposa Estates, across from Playa Mia)...it was 57 degrees two days ago, and it was 60 this morning.

Thank goodness, we built a fireplace in the house.

Of course, with a Palapa roof, so we use propane.

This winter season, best darn investment I ever made.

I also had to buy and send my sister who lives in Clearwater, Fla a heating blanket this week. She is freezing her little nose off.

Oh, if you haven't found Anna's linens, you need to check it out.
http://www.annaslinens.com/

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:08 PM

I was thinking, jealously, about that fireplace of yours over the last weeks. Thanks for the link to the bedding stores. Never heard of them but I'll be in the one near my parents next month feeling up the sheets. My housekeeper didn't seem to get it when I ask her not to use bleach on the nice sheets I bring back from Tuesday Mornings. Now my favorite, white and fairly new, has a rather large frayed spot on it that I'm going to have to use part of a pillowcase to patch.

#7 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:32 AM

The port is closed this morning. There will be an advisory from the Captain of the Port at 10am. Winds are blowing at 19kts and gusting to 24kts. Wind is out of the NNW.

Cozumel Diving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users