• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 cobra269

cobra269

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

We arrive this Sat for 19 days. New to Sam's Club. Is it worth a visit during our stay. We normally eat in for breakfast and lunch and go out at least 1/2 the time for dinner. Have read that meat is a good price along with booze. Do drink a lot a diet coke and like the pastries at the local market and the chickens you get off Ave 30. Is it worth the trip or just stick to what we know. Thanks.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

Not worth it for the groceries. Kind of worthless all round. They do have decent prices on meat but not all that much of a bargain I don't think. Much less selection, however. The wine isn't particularly cheap and selection is small. I can only speak to that expensive sipping tequila with the stag on the label re the hard liquor. It is considerable cheaper than at the other grocery stores. But for only 19 days here, I wouldn't bother to traipse all the way up there with everything else you already know to be available.
That's my opinion at any rate.

#3 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

You will do better just shopping the usual suspects....Ched and Meg.

Have a great trip!

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

If you need 50-pound bags of non-dairy creamer, Sam's is the place for you!

We'll go there for things like patio furniture, safes, water coolers, fancy premium booze (like the Cazadores tequila Carey mentioned) in presentation bottles for gifts, and printer ink. Even for things like big HDTV's, though, Mega was better when we were buying.

If you love shopping at Sam's at home, the on on the island will satisfy half to 2/3 of your longings. Otherwise, get groceries at grocery stores. Don't forget the municipal market and Soriana. I don't think it's a mistake to forget San Francisco, Bodega Aurrera, or Aki, but that's just me.

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

If you need 50-pound bags of non-dairy creamer, Sam's is the place for you!

Now don't you be running down those 50 lb bags of creamer. I add a whole bag to my swimming pool and then bathe in it. I swear it makes my skin especially soft afterwards. Really makes my Sam's membership worthwhile.

Speaking of which I bought a fridge from them 8 months ago that is making alarming noises and the freezer stopped working. I unplugged it, plugged it back in, kicked it and now it works again. But, whoa! That's mighty soon for a problem like that. And I shudder to think what's going to happen if it dies again and I have to find out first hand how well they are willing to honor their warranty.

#6 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

LOL CArey!

#7 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

If you have a car, I would go and visit. Once you have seen the outside of the store walk over to the Bodega next door and do your shoping. Their fried chicken is good and they have a few deals on other items. If you drink beer, Sam's usually has some good deals otherwise check Chedraui.

#8 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

I want to get a large piece of pork roast that I can turn into pulled pork. I assumed that the big portions at Sams would be the best quality and price. Do Ched and/or Mega have these items?

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

I want to get a large piece of pork roast that I can turn into pulled pork. I assumed that the big portions at Sams would be the best quality and price. Do Ched and/or Mega have these items?

Mega sells something they call filete de cerdo which is a different cut then the much dryer pork loin that they also sell. It is tender enough to quick barbecue and cuts right up but it also long cooks well for pozole and shreds very nicely -- whereas pork loin, as you know, gets all dry before it will shred. The filete de cerdo is darker meat. I would give that a try as it is very low fat but yet stays moist after long cooking and also shreds very well.

They are long oblongs and are sold prepackaged in the cases but they often have them in larger pieces under the glass counter where the butchers help you. I'd give that cut a try. It's true it might be a waste as in a cheaper cut might work just as well if not better for long slow cooking. But I'm rather enamored of this cut right now as I haven't seen it in the US and it's pretty versatile.

Mega has an intense selection of cerdo/pork -- from ground pork to loin to filete and a lot of bony/fattier stuff in between. Pork is real big down here and a bargain -- especially if you are looking for fairly lean pork.

I wouldn't bother with Sam's. That place continues to be a huge disappointment to me when I compare it to the Costco I visit with my parents back in So. Cal. The grocery section is pathetic aside from some good parmesan, guyere and the like. Forget the produce. Huge cases for frozen food but not much variety. Printer cartridges and batteries are a better deal there. They have some really nice outdoor furniture. No appliances to speak of. Very little selection of linens or small kitchen appliances.

It's worth visiting on a weekly/bi monthly basis if you live here because they DO occasionally get in something you can't find elsewhere or at a much better price. But for the most part I, personally, remain deeply unimpressed.

Oh -- it IS one if not THE cheapest place to buy prescription drugs and if they don't have it in stock, they can always seem to get it within 48 hours provided they have the drug in their system.

They also take credit cards but so does the mega and the ched.

#10 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

Wow! Thanks much for the 'chock full of info' reply. I'll try that stuff from Mega when I'm down in mid June - Carey, you want an invite to my pulled pork party?

#11 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

Dan...You can get a cut of pork at Mega for pulled pork. It's probably sitting in the north east corner of their display case. It's in with the pieces that haven't been cut yet. Have them pull out a large piece with a lot of fat on it. They will cut off as big a piece as you need. The more fat the better. Make sure to pick up some bannana leaves to wrap it in.

#12 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

just before returning my car to Isis in March I had some time to spare so I popped into Sams

Posted Image
the bodego next door

Posted Image
our car from Isis

Posted ImageView of Sams from the car park

Posted Image
Kayaks for your pleasure

Posted Image
Flip flops for wearing in the kayak ;-)

Posted Image
beach time anyone

Posted Image
cool down on the beach with ur cooler full of light refreshments ;-)

Posted Image
or you could have something stronger

Posted Image
who cares go for it

Posted Image
and again ;-)

#13 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

Dan...You can get a cut of pork at Mega for pulled pork. It's probably sitting in the north east corner of their display case. It's in with the pieces that haven't been cut yet. Have them pull out a large piece with a lot of fat on it. They will cut off as big a piece as you need. The more fat the better. Make sure to pick up some bannana leaves to wrap it in.

Steve, I make pulled pork in a crock pot at home. If I don't have one in the home I'm renting, how else do you suggest slow-cooking it. I was thinking a roaster pan in an oven overnight. Do I wrap myself in the banana leaves and play Adam and Eve or do I wrap the pork? Also, here is the rub I use. Are all of these ingredients available in Cozumel and in small enough quantities that I can get them at a decent price or should I bring my own bag of spice mix with me?
For 3lb pork roast
4 t. paprika3 t. salt2 t. onion powder1 t. garlic powder2 t. fresh ground pepper1/2 t. cayenne pepper1 t. ground mustard 2 t. cumin

#14 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

No high quality Hungarian paprika although the cheap stuff is available here at the Mega usually but not always. I have never seen dried mustard here. That plus marjoram and Hungarian paprika are often on my stuff in the suitcase on the way back from US list.
Everything else you list is easy to find at the Mega. Chedraui doesn't have nearly as much stuff in that department.

#15 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

Dan, I must have read your post wrong. I thought you were making Cochinita Pibil which is a Maya pulled pork. Forget the banana leaves.

Any piece of pork you put in a crock pot, slow roast in the oven, or put in a pan with a lid on top of the stove is going to be good. It's hard to mess up. Just have enough liquid in it. I make it all the time and add asome BBQ sauce to it. Don't worry if you can't find all the spices as it will still be good. I have never looked for powered mustard but don't believe I have seen it. I think you can get paprika at Pascadeli's. Just remember that you are cooking in a different location and things don't always go the way they do back home. Oven temperatures are different as are stove top temperatures. Keep an eye on it and all will come out greta.

#16 tishlva

tishlva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:tennis, snorkeling, massage, bridge, bike riding

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:24 AM

Are cruiser style bicycles available in the Cozumel Sam's club?

#17 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

Didn't see any when I went the other day.  They usually have them parked outside as you walk towards the door.  

You can check this local site for bikes, new and used.  I did see one of the Panama Jack bikes that SAM's was selling on the site (but was a while ago).

https://www.facebook...RECYCLING.2013/

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#18 VIP

VIP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:22 PM

I have been a business member with Sam's for over 15yrs. Now I also get at least 7% cash back with Sam's and Walmart on everything I buy online. Like an idiot I bought the Plus Membership last year and it only pays 1%. With 7% I average around a $100 a month cash back. Not sure I can post the link here but if you would like to know I can share it.:)

#19 Skibum

Skibum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:30 PM

Sam's has the best prices for beer if you are flexible with choice. Miller Lite and Bud light for $9.00 USD a 12 pk. Tecate 18 packs were just over $10. Tecate light was 128p a 12 pk last week as well. Prices seem to change daily! They do have large pork butts and the one we cooked was very good. Wine really is hit or miss. They had 1.5 liter bottles of a Spanish chard just the other day for 21 pesos plus tax - quite good for the price. Their steaks tend to be lifeless - usually tough and flavorless - and we have tried them a lot. Once in a while you can get good ones - or buy a whole tenderloin, open and dryage a bit in the fridge, and cut your own. Ched has had the best steaks consistently - sonoran choice at the meat counter - best by far actually, but 340 pesos or so a kilo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users