• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

When you move to Cozumel permanently and intend to buy a car; how do you get a Mexican drivers license? When we were going to retire in Hong Kong; we had 6 months to take our Ontario license to their department of transportation and get a HK license for a small fee. No written or driving test required.

Now that we are coming to Cozumel; we plan to buy a car once we get our permanent resident visa and we are not sure of the process. Do we need to buy one of those International licenses instead?

Can someone please help??

Thanks Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

I think technically you're supposed to have a Mexican driver's license. It is easy to get. You have to take a written test. But you can take a translator along who, of course, can also assist with the answers as it turns out. So that's no biggie just a little time consuming.

I've been driving on a non expired Florida licence down here for 12 years. If I'm ever stopped or in an accident or something, since I own a Mexican car now, they might tsk tsk me for not having a Mexican licence and make me go in the "next two days" and get one. But that would be the extent of the penalty. This is on a NON EXPIRED license from another country.

I also bought a Mexican car in December of 2011 with only my non expired US driver's license. No one said anything about a Mexican license at either the car dealership or the car registration office where I picked up my plates and pay the tenencia/car tax.

#3 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

There is no requirement (as far as I know -- and I know a lot of car-owners here) to have a MX license as long as your current license has not expired.

These instructions are based on those given in the Cozumel Survival Guide -- which is a great reference for residents. However, these are updated based on very recent experience:

Go to the Direción de Trafico -- the building between City Hall and the Chedraui parking lot -- 8 AM to 1: 30 PM, M-F.
As you enter the front door, take the hallway immediately to the left and go down to the door marked "Licencias."
You need the following items:
• Passport and 2 copies of the photo page
• Original and 2 copies of your resident card from INM, front & back
• Original and 2 copies of your US driver's license, front & back
• CURP if not on immigration card
• Results of a blood-type test from a clinic
• 2 copies of a recent comprobante
• 2 color "infantile" size photos, frontal view
• A letter-size manila file folder
• 450 pesos for regular driver's license (vs chauffeur license)

License requires a 4-hour classroom session followed by an exam and in-car driving test. This will be scheduled for you (usually next day.)

#4 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately our licenses in Ontario, Canada expire every 5 years. My current one is good until December 2017 so I guess I will be good for almost 4 years once I arrive early next year. I guess by then I could get around to getting a MXN one. Do MXN licenses ever expire?

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#5 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

They are valid for two years only.

#6 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

My friend went down on around March 28th. to get a drivers license. He had just received his permenant resident card and was back within 2 hours with his license. He didn't have to take any written tests and didn't have to have any blood type tests. I don't know if he even brought photos with him. He said it was easy to get. I didn't ask if he had to pay any extra money. He only spends 4 to 5 months a year in Mexico.

#7 El Graduado

El Graduado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

My friend went down on around March 28th. to get a drivers license. He had just received his permenant resident card and was back within 2 hours with his license. He didn't have to take any written tests and didn't have to have any blood type tests. I don't know if he even brought photos with him. He said it was easy to get. I didn't ask if he had to pay any extra money. He only spends 4 to 5 months a year in Mexico.

The test has been required on a case-by-case basis in the past. Ask first, before you apply, and you may be exempted. For ex-pats with a visa, the license is given for the term of your visa. If your visa is only 1 year, the license will only be given for 1 year. If your visa is good for two years or more, the license will be issued for 2 years.

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

Anyone have a more recent update on getting a mexican driver's license?  As in getting your first license in Mexico with a residente permanente visa?

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

What Deb listed, except I don't know what "• 2 copies of a recent comprobante" is.

You also need a copy of CFE bill (even if it's not in your name)  you can bring your contract to rent as a back up to the CFE bill.

You need your height, weight, in metric

Be prepared to tell them the color of your eyes in Spanish.

I just renewed my DL license with my PR's card, and it's a 5 min process.

But you now have to go upstairs to pay, then back down with the stamped paid receipt to the DL office.

I have had my MX license for a number of years, and believe me, it's a lot easier for ID then a foreign license to use here.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:21 AM

Comprobante is a proof of payment. The word is used in this case to mean a receipt showing proof of residence -- an electric, water or telephone bill with your name and address.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users