• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BamaGram

BamaGram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

We were wondering if we could bring our small toy fox terrier on our vaca? Will Cozumel allow animals from the US? We are checking with our hotel to see if they accept first

Attached Files

#2 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

You can. You'll need two forms signed by your vet. We always take 3-4 copies as you'll need these arriving in Cozumel and getting back into the US.

Flying into CLT, the "nice lady" at Customs requires all returning US dog food to be in it's original bag. If you have Milk Bone snacks, she will confiscate them.

The first form is the US Dept of Ag's Form, APHIS 7001.

http://www.aphis.usd...f/APHIS7001.pdf

The second is a form on your vet's letterhead stating the following:

Dog Name/Nombre:
Date of Brith/ Fecha de Nacimiento:
Canine Breed/Tipo:
Color:
Weight:

Owners: Name and Address

Immunization/Shots Record

Inoculation/Tipo Date/Fecha Vacuna Expiration/Expiry

(List all vaccinations and expiration. Rabies is a given. Heartguard and Parvo are HIGHLY reccomended)

I have examined the above described dog. To the best of my knowledge, I have found it to be clinically healthy and free from ticks and other internal/external parasites.

He examinado el perro arriba descrito. He encontrado que sea clínicamente sanos y libres de garrapatas y otros parásitos internos y externos.

Signature/State License #:
Date:

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

Actually, I have done this at least twice per year for the past 6 or 7 years and I can tell you that you don't need two forms.

The agi form referred to in another post is only considered legal in Mexico if it has a registered Folio number -- like a prescription pad -- in the upper right hand corner. Most vets just download the form from the internet and fill it out. This confuses the Mexican officials and they will call you on it. But, at least in SF, the USDA will NOT sign the form for you because you do NOT need it to go to Mexico.

It is clearly stated on the Mexican customs site that all you need is:

A letter on your vet's letterhead stating that the dog has been vaccinated for rabies wITHIN THE LAST YEAR even if it is a 3 year vaccination given two years ago. Must also state that the dog is in good health to travel and that he has been treated on so and so date for parasites by administering heartgard and fleas and ticks by administering frontline. Mention these drugs by name in the letter.

For maximum speed going through Mexican customs, give your vet a line by line translation of the English. So "I have examined Barney and found him fit for travel." And then the same sentence in Spanish below it. And on through the letter.

This is all you need to enter Mexico. When you get off the plane you go through immigration where you show your passport, etc. Then head to the office one door to the left and say you have a mascota and hand over the papers. You'll have about a 20 minute wait.

If you do it this way, however -- name frontline, heartgard and be sure it states the rabies was given within one year -- and it's in English and Spanish on vet letterhead, signed by vet and listing vets DVM number, you will have no problems.

Coming back into the US you will need to declare that you have a pet and will be sent through a special line with all your luggage. All they want to see is proof that you dog has its rabies vac. They will confiscate opened dog food and may ask to look at the package in your luggage.

The airlines also have varying requirements. American looks at your vet letter. United never has. Don't know about the other airlines but its good to check and particularly ask how long the letter is good for. I believe if you are flying on a round trip ticket with the same airline that one showing of a very recent vet letter will last for both ends of your trip. But check.

Dog must fit in a medium size sherpa style soft sided bag because that is the largest size that can be stuffed under the seat. You don't not want to send your dog as luggage.Certainly not for a two week trip and most airlines will not accept dogs in the hold during the hot months of the year.

Also check your hub airport and locate the dog rest areas. For example, in Houston, my usual entry hub from Cozumel where I live, the pet relief area is outside Terminal B. But I come into the International Terminal, go through US customs and bag recheck there. Then I find myself outside security with another hellish check in being necessary. Recheck at the international terminal in Houston is a cattle drive, always crowded and hectic. So, since Houston has an outside security shuttle as well as one inside, I just shuttle outside to Terminal B, let Nikki out to relieve himself and then check back in a much less crowded Domestic Flights Terminal B.

It will be different for various hubs, of course, but its something to check out in advance and make a plan for your return.

Also I would not advise a layover of less than 2.5 hours and 3 is better coming in from Mexico and with a pet. Custom lines are frequently very long -- as in a 45 minute plus wait. Then you have to go through the special pet line so the customs guys can check the dogs papers. THEN you have to let the dog out before another long flight.

The more I write the more I realize what a pain it is to do this. I know its expensive and worrying leaving a beloved dog behind. But its an awful lot of trouble and not insignificant expense bringing them with you. $125 each way for in cabin pets on the airlines plus the vet exam and letter fee. Oh and they don't allow dogs on most beaches on the island either. Consider a pet sitter or bite it on a top quality kennel that you've checked out in advance.

#4 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

Cary,

We got most of our information related to this from a post you made earlier. We brought the Dept of Ag form only because our vet thought it would be a good idea. When the young lady was inspecting the paperwork, it appeared she had an "a-ha" moment when she saw the second version and sent us on our way. That is why I mentioned it. That was in February, 2013. We are flying into Cancun for our next trip. We will post how that went.

There are a couple of nice collapsible/foldable kennels on the market. Look into one of those for your pooch.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#5 BamaGram

BamaGram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

Thanks guys, we were hoping to bring our little girl but the resort doesnt allow them. She saw our suite cases and started crying and throwing up, she hates us leaving her. Oh well, she has a dog sitter that is staying with her so she wont be lonely.

Thanks for the help. This forum is so helpful. I always ask alot of questions even though this is our 4th trip.

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

I hate leaving my dogs behind too even though I have my very loving Mayan housekeeper come and stay with them in our home. Sounds like your dog is like my poodle, Nikki, who is subject to seperation anxiety and tends not to eat for days when left behind.

I had to make two, two week trips off island in the last 6 weeks (coming back from the second tomorrow.)I decided to try not letting Nikki see any of my packing preparation or suitcases or see me leave. When I got back last time, he seemed better than usual -- not as overly excited to see me and no reports of loss of appetite.

So I'm thinking that might be a better way to go. Better they have constant hope you'll return any minute from a trip than know for sure you're gone (and might never come back.)

#7 mexpat10350

mexpat10350

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, boating, fine arts,

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

Okay for little dogs, but how about mid sized dogs? Is it horrible for a dog in the luggage area of a plane? I am concerned about her safety and comfort. We will be flying out of Tampa....so its not a really long flight.....but still...I a worried dog owner. 

We are planning a 4-6 month visit in the spring......and hopefully moving full time in 2014-15

Also, I was surprised to hear that dogs are not allowed on any beaches....are there dog parks, or anywhere a dog can get good exercise and socialization? What do others do with their mid sized dogs?

Thanks!

Susan

#8 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

I used to take my dogs to the beach but not the public beaches. I just went to the one by El Cantil or across from hotel Cozumel. I would take them early in the morning and throw sticks in the water for my retriever mix to fetch. If anyone cared they turned a blind eye to it. I always went early in the morning and was diligent about cleaning up after them. I have seen other folks on the stretch between dive paradise and the lighthouse early in the morning out there with their dogs as well. As far as dog parks, none that I know of. I live in the Corpus area and lots of us just walk our dogs early in the morning, basically before the city wakes up, around dawn, and let walk off leash while keeping an eye on them and, again, cleaning up after them. It's a great way to meet other folks and the dogs can play, socialize and get some exercise. I have a Yorkie and a retriever mix and we walk most days around dawn. Also lots of folks go to Corpus Cristi park with their dogs at differenty times during the day.

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

Okay for little dogs, but how about mid sized dogs? Is it horrible for a dog in the luggage area of a plane? I am concerned about her safety and comfort. We will be flying out of Tampa....so its not a really long flight.....but still...I a worried dog owner. 

If you are flying non stop on a plane that leaves early in the morning coming into Cozumel your dog should be fine flying cargo.  I would be concerned if there are any stops on your route.

If you fly in using United's PetSafe program, no worries about flying with a stop over.  They charge more for the service but they really do take good care of the animals, coming out and getting them in AC vans and keeping them in an office until time to reload, for example.  And you can often go and get them out yourself for a relief break if you allow enough time.

The big downside of United, however, is that last I checked about a year ago they were handling the paperwork on PetSafe animals as though they were a cargo item -- not as checked luggage.  Because of this, the pet is subject to customs fees and you have to pay an inspector and a vet to look at them.  It's a big, somewhat time consuming deal and the import people, the aduanas, here on Cozumel were charging very high prices for the service.  It would not be out of line to expect to pay $1000 US to get you dog in and this doesn't count the $250 each way the airline charges.

Maybe one of these days United will change the paperwork so that pets can come in as checked bags.  They did, in fact, change this for military families carrying their pets overseas.  But not for the rest of us.

Anyway, look for early morning non stops.  Or do an overnight layover rather than trying to make a heat of the day connection at some busy airport where the pet might end up sitting out on the runway in the heat.

#10 mexpat10350

mexpat10350

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

Thanks Carey,

Very helpful.....I would be flying from Florida (Tampa if possible)  Any guesses as to how long my dog would be in her crate with no "relief"?

Also how difficult is it to find places to relieve the dog if you live in town?  (assuming of coarse that I am the kind of owner that carries poop bags every time that I walk the dog). This may sound like a silly question but I have never been a dog owner in a city setting. Another question:  are there any sort of parks where dogs are welcome and my dog can get some doggy friend time?

Thanks,

Joe

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

It's not all that dog friendly to walk your dogs on the streets of town.  That's why there are comments about pet owners out at dawn.  Other times of day there are a lot of loose dogs and they are very territorial.  I never walk my dogs on the street.

A lot of people take their dogs to local parks like the big one in Corpus Christi which is near where a lot of gringos live.  I wouldn't advise letting your dog off leash in any park, however.  Giardia is rampant here and if your dog is free and devours feces, there is a sizeable chance they'll come down with a case of this.  I, in fact, know of two dogs walked in this park who had this problem.

In short, its not that great a place for dogs.  I wouldn't rent here with a dog unless I had a patch of grass or gravel or something that was enclosed and that you could use most of the time for pet relief.  Then leash your pup and walk it down the malecon for exercise.  But drive them over there and park.  Don't walk them over from back in the neighborhoods would be my advice.

City life with dogs is always problematic.  I rent long term for a couple of months most years in San Francisco and, although there is not street problem with loose dogs as in San Miguel, if you can't find a place with a little protected garden or green area or if there is not a park close by, it is a lot of trouble for pet owners.  You also have to watch, even in SF, for people who let their dogs run free in the park which I personally just call laziness.  Sorry.  A large dog totally chomped and killed a toy poodle last year in Huntington Park.  This could also happen in San Miguel.  Leash your dog and go the distance of having to walk them around and supervise them closely.

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

Friends bring their Basset hound (45/50 lbs) from Tampa.  They only use AA, and fly though Dallas.

If you have time, there is a dog park at the airport.

Animals are shipped in a pressurized, temperature controlled (just like in the cabin) section of the cargo section of the plane, but are not classified as "cargo".

That Basset hound has logged many air miles, they have never had an issues or concerns, but you will be restricted in flying your pet down until the temperature controls in all legs of the flights decrease.

Here is the link to the pet policy from AA:https://www.aa.com/i...ureRestrictions

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#13 mexpat10350

mexpat10350

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

Carey and Coz2wonder,

Your info is terrific. I'm making notes. My dog is "city stupid" (much like I am) and would have to be on a leash at all times!!   I'm going to try to rent from 1/1/14 to 3/31/14 and I really can't see a way to leave the pooch for that long. I mentioned my dog situation to the rental office but I can see now that I will have to emphasize the need for a patch of grass or gravel. Thanks again 

#14 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

I walk my dogs on the street (on leash at all times), and I don't live in the "gringo areas".  Never any problems with other dogs.  Stomp of the foot, and a firm "no" usually sends them on their way.  I also walk the pooches on the north end.  There is a nice path for a couple of miles, and I see lots of other dog owners with their pups everyday.

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:45 AM

I walk my dogs on the street (on leash at all times), and I don't live in the "gringo areas".  Never any problems with other dogs.  Stomp of the foot, and a firm "no" usually sends them on their way.  I also walk the pooches on the north end.  .

What section of town do you live in Erin?  Just curious.  My area of Centro, well there aren't nearly as many loose dogs as there used to be thanks to government programs and probably also quite a few getting hit by mopeds and cars as the street has become so busy.  But it seems like about every third house in my nabe has a barking dog that comes tearing out to the sidewalk through open doorways when I pass by.

#16 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

I'm "way" up on 70 and 11.  Plenty of stray dogs, and others that have owners with the open doors that you describe.  But like I said, I've never had a situation where I or my dogs felt theatened.  Stomp of the foot and a firm "NO" usually sends them on their way.  I've got little dogs too (all under 10/15 pounds), they think they're a lot bigger though ;) .  I think the stray dog population is going down due to the efforts of the Humane Society's year round free spay and neuter program (the only one in Latin America, from what I understand) combined with the city pound now working in conjunction with the HS. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users