• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TERRY7133

TERRY7133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

I just thought that I might share some recent experiences with service providers on 30th street .

Ahorro Pharmacy is the new Pharmacy located on the corner of 30th and 11th . They have a Doctor available from 9 until 2 and 4 until 9 p.m. 6 days a week. He is from Lima, Peru and speaks pretty good English . There is no charge for his services but is on a first come first serve basis ( no Appointments ). He is basically just a GP Doctor who will see you and write Prescriptions . You step out to the Pharmacy and fill your prescription and if it is for an injection -- you return to him and he performs the injection . I understand that there are other pharmacies in Czm with similar arrangements but this is very handy for me !

DIF is located at the end of 30th before it bends back to 65th ( about 2 blocks past CFE ). I once thought that it was some type of nursing home but it is actually a physical therapy facility . I had to make 5 visits there about 3 months ago . The visits are 50 pesos per visit and they do require appointments . It requires a DR.'s prescription which I had from the Ahorro DR. ( no charge ). The facilities are modern and very clean . The physical therapist who helped me had had 6 years of schooling on the mainland , was unbelievably kind, and patient. During my visits, she helped me with my Spanish and I helped her with her English ----- what a refreshing experience !

Although , I am sure that both Ahorro and Dif employees derive some benefit ( directly or indirectly ) from tourism ----- however, their daily experiences are primarily with locals and because of this -- they are very patient and curious with ex pats.

I would also like to put a plug in for the ( fairly new ) rotisserie chicken shop on the corner of 30th and 39th . Their shop is very clean and the food is fresh and very good ! The sides are comparable to the other pollo shops.
I was shocked to see that they offered pappas and gravy ----- being from the south , I had to have me some mashed potatoes and gravy !

To my surprise , they gave me a fresh baked potato with some crema sauce -- lol -- but it was delicious and unique for most of the pollo shops.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

I just thought that I might share some recent experiences with service providers on 30th street .

Ahorro Pharmacy is the new Pharmacy located on the corner of 30th and 11th . They have a Doctor available from 9 until 2 and 4 until 9 p.m. 6 days a week. He is from Lima, Peru and speaks pretty good English . There is no charge for his services but is on a first come first serve basis ( no Appointments ). He is basically just a GP Doctor who will see you and write Prescriptions . You step out to the Pharmacy and fill your prescription and if it is for an injection -- you return to him and he performs the injection . I understand that there are other pharmacies in Czm with similar arrangements but this is very handy for me !

DIF is located at the end of 30th before it bends back to 65th ( about 2 blocks past CFE ). I once thought that it was some type of nursing home but it is actually a physical therapy facility . I had to make 5 visits there about 3 months ago . The visits are 50 pesos per visit and they do require appointments . It requires a DR.'s prescription which I had from the Ahorro DR. ( no charge ). The facilities are modern and very clean . The physical therapist who helped me had had 6 years of schooling on the mainland , was unbelievably kind, and patient. During my visits, she helped me with my Spanish and I helped her with her English ----- what a refreshing experience !

Although , I am sure that both Ahorro and Dif employees derive some benefit ( directly or indirectly ) from tourism ----- however, their daily experiences are primarily with locals and because of this -- they are very patient and curious with ex pats.

I would also like to put a plug in for the ( fairly new ) rotisserie chicken shop on the corner of 30th and 39th . Their shop is very clean and the food is fresh and very good ! The sides are comparable to the other pollo shops.
I was shocked to see that they offered pappas and gravy ----- being from the south , I had to have me some mashed potatoes and gravy !

To my surprise , they gave me a fresh baked potato with some crema sauce -- lol -- but it was delicious and unique for most of the pollo shops.

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for all the super helpful and detailed info, Terry! I know it is appreciated by many including mi.

One question -- was your INPAN/retired card needed to use the DIF services? I've tried 3 times to get mine so far but once she was on vacation and the other two times they're run out of cards.

#4 TERRY7133

TERRY7133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

Carey,
I have to be honest with you ! I am not familiar with the card that you mentioned . I really fly by the seat of my pants when I am in Cozumel these days. Although during the construction of my house ( 6 or 7 years ago ) I spent more time in Cozumel than in the U.S.A. ( about 2 years ) , My trips and experiences in Cozumel have been limited to about 4 or 5 trips a year.

Basically, I went there and they told me that I needed a DR. prescription for an appointment . I returned to the DR. at Ahorro and he wrote the prescription . I returned -- gave them the prescription and showed my fm-3 . They tried to give me an appointment for a week later . I had a pinched nerve in my neck and they could see that I was in pain . I explained to them that I would be leaving Cozumel in about 8 or 9 days and asked if there were any way that I could get in sooner. I was very humble and patient and spoke only in my best Spanglish ! They reciprocated with not only getting me in that day but a 2 p.m. appt. every day until I returned to the U.S.A. They were very compassionate once they saw that I was making an effort to not only speak their language but respect their position. ( and I don't mean groveling ).

One thing that has stuck in my mind is this --- 4 years ago when we were driving our vehicle and utility trlr. to Cozumel -- at the border in Matamoras I politely asked the lady at the first window where we got our aduina if she spoke English . She said no -- so I started speaking in Spanish -- after that she started speaking in english ( which was as good or better that mine ) but I continued my conversation in Spanish ( as bad as it is ) as she spoke English . She seemed to appreciate and respect my feeble attempts !

I have tried to continue this in Cozumel and have found that in most cases ( not all ) that the locals will not only bend over backwards for me ( while finding some humor in my efforts ) but they remember me.

Bottom line , I had no problems gaining the use of DIF and feel comfortable that I could go back at any time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users