• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

So we finally brought down a charcoal grill, yea! Now I need some help from y'all to pick out items to grill. Last night we had thin sliced chicken breast marinated in lime, garlic, and oil. Also threw on some of that arrecherra that you find in the bags at the supermarkets here. Veggies were whole poblano peppers and thick sliced onions. Everything turned out great but I would like some other suggestions from the local grill masters.

Guess I should start by saying we don't have a SAMs club membership......and all ideas products must be able to be found on island.

My question to y'all are:

Meat counter. Which one do you find has the best product? What do you like to get?

Local marinades. I have used some stuff that looks like red paste on fish before with lime and it was good. Achote'? Maybe that was the name? Anyway, I am sure the garlic and lime is going to get old after awhile jajajajaj. Something you use and like on fish, pork, and beef.

Pre packaged marinated meat. What ,if any, pre marinated meat do you buy and think tastes great? Brand names would be nice as there are a few in the store. The arrecherra we got was ok but maybe you know the tastiest brand to get.

chicken quarters. I did not see these, and assume they have them just not the day I went to Mega.

Fish...so many choices at the stores. whole, filet, frozen, fresh. I love fish but have no idea where to get the fresh stuff or how to pick it out. I have heard the mercado has the freshest items but am leery of the no refrigeration there...or for that Matter the little refrigeration of the fish and other meats at all supermarkets. Do you worry about how warm the cases in the stores are? So where do y'all go to get your fish? And how do you tell if it is fresh?

Pork. It would seem that it is everywhere. I like it especially the small bone in chuletas, but here again do I get the pre packaged items or go to the meat counter? And which place to buy these from for freshness? Mega, sorreana, ched, or the mercado? What are y'all's thoughts?

Sausages. Love the chorizo and eat it for breakfast. But am looking for something I can throw on the grill and not have to take out of the casing. Non chicken or turkey based por favor. Any local favorites and brand names would be appreciated.

No real need for steaks as we can get these back home. Or ground beef as that kinda gives me the Heebie jeebies unless I grind my own and wouldn't ya know we didn't bring the meat grinders down lol.

Sounds like this is my first rodeo shopping around here. It really isn't but we usually only do breakfast items at our apartment then dinner out...with a few sandwiches in between. With no stove and only a slow cooker, microwave, toaster oven, and plug in hot plate before ,I am now excited about the food opportunities that the grill provides. Just need a little help to know where the good stuff is and what brands y'all enjoy so we don't have to suffer through the blah ;)

Thanks for reading this far. I look forward to your responses.

Mikes

#2 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

Mike...It all depends on what you like. I do a lot of grilling when down and find the carbon that looks like burnt pieces of firewood excellent for cooking as it gets really hot but it's hard to start.

I try to stay away from the beef but every once in a while you can find a decent steak. I'll do shish kabobs with some beef, chicken, shrimp, green peppers, pineapple, onion, mushrooms, and tomatoes. It usually comes out good.

I buy baby back ribs from Maxi Carne on 30th. but simmer them first before putting on the grill.

Chicken is always a good choice. BBQ  sauce or marinated.

The potatoes down there do great on the grill. Wrap them up in aluminium foil with a rub of olive oil and salt then throw them directly on the coals turning every now and then.

Shrimp is always a good choice but don't over cook them.

Pork chops work but you need to get thick ones. Mega has them sometimes or have them cut for you to the thickness you want. Ask for lomo.

I will do fish every so often but normally wrap it in foil as the grill I use is a Mexican tire rim and the fish usually sticks to the grill but a thick filet works good.

Lobster I prefer other methods of cooking because it dries out to much on the grill.

Garlic bread cooks quickly and tasts great.

Hamburgers is another good choice. Go to the Mercado and have it ground like you want. You can get pork ground there also with the fat content you are looking for to make sausage. That always cook up nice on the grill.

The arrachera cooks up good but I like mine a little less well done than it is normally served. If you are serving Mexican company make sure to cook it well so the edges are curled up and almost black.

I can't tell you where to purchase your meat as that is a personal choice depending on what you like. Mega and Sam's seem to have the best choic for beef but Covi's has some good steaks their also. The chicken and pork are all good. For any good and fresh shrimp you have to buy it off the truck. You have to be lucky for that. There is a guy that parks by the Borge theater (sp) maybe once a week or every other week that sells shrimp from Campeche for around $180 pesos a kilo. It's fresh and good. I've never had any beef from Pascadeli's but they carry frozen steaks. For fresh fish, buy them from the fishermen. Chen Rio is a good spot around 1:00 or 2:00 pm. Guido's meat market also has frozen meat. Much of it is imported from Chili and Argentina and is better than Mexican beef.

Have fun on the grill. Anything you can cook in the oven or on the stove you can do on the grill. Even baking. Don't forget to cook a pizza.

#3 Regiomontano

Regiomontano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:13 AM

Hola: i can help with my kind of ground meat for hamburgers:

40% sirloin

40% pork

20% bacon

Try it on your next burgers

#4 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

Steve, the "get your ground pork from the mercado to make sausage" comment - how do you spice it to get a good breakfast sausage?  What percent fat do you use?

#5 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

Dan...I usually try to get around a 35% fat to 65% lean ratio. 40/60 will work also. If I am in a hurry and can't find what I need I will just buy a kilo of ground pork from Mega and add lard to it. Not the best solution but it works.

I like sage breakfast sausage so to a kilo of meat I will add 4 tsp. sage, 1 tsp. salt, 2 tsp. poultry seasoning, and some red pepper flakes to make it a little hotter. You can also add garlic, thyme, dry white wine, maple syrup or other spices you like. All the spices have to be mixed very well with the pork and the sausage is better if allowed to sit for a day. Fry up a patty when you are done mixing and see if it needs anything else.

The pork mixture is good for just about any sausage. I make Italian sausage when down there and it comes out good. To a kilo of meat I add 2 to 3 tbs. roasted or crushed fennel seed, 1 tbs. salt, 1 tbs. paprika, red pepper flakes to taste, and sometimes a little red wine. You can also add garlic, cheese, or parsley. Everyone's tastes are different so ply around with the spices. However it turns out it will be able to eat it.

You can also buy pre-mixed spice packages that are very good.

Rigiomontano...I haven't got my hamburger mixture perfected yet. I'll try adding bacon. I ground some chuck, short rib tips, and sirloin up the other night and it came out good but not what I am looking for. I read the other day that the restaurant voted as number one for hamburgers in the states use short rib tip, brisket. and filet mignon. They didn't give the percentages so am going to try expermenting with that mixture. Their hamburgers sell for $20 plus each so won't be making very many.

#6 TERRY7133

TERRY7133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

I do not have the experience that Steve has in making sausage in Czm but I do love breakfast sausage . For the last 3 years , I have been following a recipe close to what this link that I have listed

http://recipehelpers...st-sausage.html

I have bought Puerco mollida at Mega , Sorianna , and Wal-Mart but never at the Mercado ( I will have to try it on my next trip ). IMO , none of these have enough fat for my liking ( I am definitely going to try adding a little lard on my next trip )

Like Steve , I play with the seasonings some till I find the flavor that I am looking for in a breakfast sausage . I too add a little maple syrup and beef up the sage . Letting it sit in the frig for overnight or for a couple days does enhance the flavor.
For my tastes , the Accent and crushed coriander do add to the flavor that I am looking for -- all of the ingredients are readily available in Cozumel.
Now , if I can just perfect my Biscuits and white sausage gravy !
Good Luck !

#7 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for the info and recipes.  I've looked everywhere for breakfast sausage when I'm there and have not been able to find it.  I'm always amused when I ask for sausage and they show me a pack of hot dogs.  When I stayed at the Hotel Cozumel downtown once, I asked the cook each day if he had any sausage for my eggs.  He didn't for the first few days.  Then one day he proudly brought me my scrambled eggs with pieces of hot dog cut up in them.  Not exactly what I was looking for but I appreciated the attempt.  If you're ever in the mood for a more exotic spice mixture, here is one I've used.

1 lb ground pork

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp black pepper

1-1/4 tsp paprica

1/2 tsp anise seed

1/2 tsp fennel seed

1/2 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp oregano

1/2 tsp coriander

1/2 tsp ground cloves

I looked up sausage recipes online and combined spices from several recipes. 

#8 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

Love the fact that you guys are coming up with ways to meet your cravings for good burgers, sausage etc.  For those of us who aren't has creative/adventurous Sam's does carry Johnson breakfast links in the freezer section. No italian sauage though.  I'm going to have to try Steve's recipe.

Mike - Pizza on the grill is exceptionally yummy!  You can grill it with or without a pizza stone.

#9 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

Sam's acually has 2 brands of breakfast sausage. One is Johnson and the other is an off brand. Both are fairly good especially if you haven't had any in a while. I am probably wrong but thought they were around $140 pesos a box. You get 3 packages to a box. They were located all the way down the center aisle by where the coolers are. Turn left and they should be in the first cooler on the left side. They also had spiral sliced hams at what I thought was a good price. They were like the ones Aldi's sells only had another label pasted over the orginal.

#10 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

Thanks y'all for the great ideas! Pizza may be up next....or stuffed poblano peppers, maybe some bacon wrapped jalapeños or drumsticks. I like the different breakfast sausage recipes as well as the hamburger %'s. All of these will help me in my Cozumel grill quest jajajajaj ;). I say if there is anything else y'all enjoy grilling post on up!

Thanks again!!!!
Mikes

#11 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

Steve, found the breakfast sausages.  Couldn't find the spiral ham.  I found some things at Mega that looked like smokes pork chops, or a very thick ham with a little bone.  The worked very well as a ham and eggs thing.

#12 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

Dan...From what I remember the spiral ham was in the isle before the sausage on the right side somewhere near the middle of the isle on the bottom shelf.

Mega has some packages of boneless smoked pork chops that are usually found on the top one or two shelves where their pork is. They come about 6 to 8 to a package and are around 2 1/2 to 3" in diameter. They are very good. Fry them up with a little butter for breakfast. They taste just like ham. They work really good for Eggs Benidict as they are just a little smaller than an English Muffin. They're not very expensive either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users