• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

Punta Sur, and San Gervasio had been subject to closures (financial, and low season), but wondering if they are currently open on Sundays? 

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

And also, if they are subject to closures - what days are they open next week and where can I get up-to-date info hours of operation when I'm on the island?  Also, does the Museo still sell those "multi-pass" tickets that let you into the museo and chankanaab and other places?

#3 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

I would also like to know if the multipass is available, we purchased them last year (May 2012) and they really help, especaily when you visit Coz often..it entices you to re-visit the same places.

#4 El Graduado

El Graduado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

There is a multi-pass (or as Leeloo says, muuulltiiipaaasss) program in effect with FMPCQROO, in which you purchase a carnet (at their office next door to the gas station on 30th and Juarez) with proof of Cozumel residence (id, water bill, etc.) for around 350 pesos that will get you in free to Chankanaab, Punta Sur, El Museo, and San Gervasio (you still need to pat the INAH part at San Gervasio, unless you go on Sunday when it is free with proof of residence) and is valid for two years.  There is also a shorter term similar deal for non-residents at the Museo ticket counter.  Punta Sur is (and will continue to be) closed on Sundays.   San Gervasio is open on Sundays.  Don't forget to buy a copy of my guide to the ruins, available at the ticket counter.

El Museo de la Isla is open daily, 9-5.  The restaurant upstairs at the museum is open 7AM to 11PM daily.

Punta Sur is open 9-4, Mon-Sat, but the dirt road from the lighthouse to the beach of Chunchacab closes to northbound traffic at 1PM.

San Gervasio is open 8-4 daily, but the front gate is closed to inbound traffic at 3:30.

Chankanaab is open daily from 8-5.

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

Thank you El Graduado.  Was at Rasta's today and Punta Sur was closed.

There was a fellow from the Parks Dept (outside of Rasta's) who did say that multipass are available at the Museum.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 El Graduado

El Graduado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

The pass available at the museo is only the short-term pass.  To get the two-year resident carnet, you need to have your photo taken at the FPMCQROO office and then pick up the carnet the next business day.

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

Thank you! :)

Anonymous

#8 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

Thanks everyone.....

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

The pass available at the museo is only the short-term pass.  To get the two-year resident carnet, you need to have your photo taken at the FPMCQROO office and then pick up the carnet the next business day.

So...
You can get a carnet with a utility bill?  No FM?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

The pass at the museum is available to anyone.  

Knowing the hoops one must jump through, I would take every scrap of paper from here that has your name, address, ID for services here, as it relates to the  harpooning the carnet.

Example, I was asked to provide a copy of a prescription for payment on health insurance for my medication from 2 years ago.  Having learned the hard way, opened folder, pulled out old prescription submitted completed forms. 

Priceless

Anonymous

#11 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

I paid 100 pesos for my Parks card and just used my FM3 for ID.

#12 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

We are here on vaca now, tried to get 7 day multi pass and they said it ended 2months ago:(

#13 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

Did you ask the left hand or the right hand? :wacko:

If anyone could predict how things work here, please step to the front of the line!

After 10 years of living here, I just keep asking the same questions to different people, hoping to find the answer I want.

Anonymous

#14 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:02 AM

I have the parks pass but, last time I used it at any rate, it wasn't free admission to Chankannab.  It was half price at least on weekdays.

#15 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

Coz2wonder.....too funny because actually I went Friday at 4:30 and a lady told me yes I could get them but needed to come during biz hours 9-3:30, so went back11am on Sat & the gentleman told me no more. I'll try again today & report back;)

#16 El Graduado

El Graduado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

Ok, here's the deal.  I talked to Paola Hansen, the marketing director of FPMCQROO and got the info directly from her.

1. The old short-term pass that used to be sold at the Museo is no longer available, and there is no other similar type of pass available.

2. The pass for residents that is valid for two years and costs 30 pesos IS still available.  To get one, you need your IFE and light/water bill if you are a Mexican citizen, or your Tarjeta de Residente Temporal or Permanente and light/water bill if you are an ex-pat.  It is only available at the office by the gas station on 30th, and will get you in to ALL the parks for free, including Chankanaab.

3. San Gervasio is open 7 days a week.

4. Punta Sur and Chankanaab are closed on Sunday UNLESS there is a cruise ship docked that Sunday.

#17 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

Thanks, EG!

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#18 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

Punta Sur, and San Gervasio had been subject to closures (financial, and low season), but wondering if they are currently open on Sundays? 

This is what happens when people get greedy. 

“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users