• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

Every year we have our palapa checked for condition, and if we need new netting.

Count on needing new netting every 2 to 3 years.

The guy we have used for a long time is Timoteo (Timmy-ta-o).  He only speaks Spanish.

His workers are great, clean up after themselves, are very quite and respectful.

Timoteo's number is:  987-113-1742

Attached Files

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

Does Timoteo's crew also construct palapas, Paula?  I'm about to build one.  Also want the tightly woven grass roof like you have on your house.  What is that called?  Sacab or something???

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

Yes he does.  We have zacate grass.  

We prefer it over palm because you can walk on our roof, it lasts years (ours is 10+) and if you do inspections, and small maintenance it should last many years.

We went through two cat 5's with this roof.

I would recommend having all the polls and support coated in polyurethane before installation. 

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

Thanks a bunch, Paula.  I'll be calling him on Monday.  And thanks also for the reminder to precoat the posts.  I think I will use this fantastic stuff Jeff Ferguson, the carpenter, got me.  He uses it on exterior doors and I've never seen anything as good.  Soaks into the wood but also coats it.  I'm thinking better than polyeurethene and certainly beats the traditional creosote coating -- at least for messiness.

One question:  You wrote that the man's name is Timoteo (Timmy-ta-o).  Which are you most sure of?  The pronunciation or the spelling?  Because if it's pronounced Timmy ta o  then wouldn't it be spelled something more like Timi Tao.  The way you're spelling the name, it would be pronounced Tim oh TAY - oh.

It's either Spanish for Timothy??? or its a Mayan name.

Just want to pronounce his name correctly when I talk to him.  Also is that his first or last name or do you know?

Again, thanks for the contact info and the tips.  And I def want the zacate grass even though I'll probably have to wait for it.  Tried to get it last go round but there wasn't any to be had for the forseeable future.  Wish I'd waited.  I've now removed all of our palapas that were of the other type of grass.  I would not want that type again.  The winds take them too easily for one thing and, for another, they get very dirty and when it rains, the grit drips down any walls closeby or under them. 

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

His name is Timoteo, and it is pronounced Timmy-ta-o.

He was the guy who installed our roof a little over 10 years ago.  So, I do trust his work.

You have to have netting, that protects it from high winds.

Anonymous

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

Thanks, Paula

He must be Mayan from the pronunciation and spelling then.  And, yah, I know about the netting.  That starts to fray and grass doesn't have the protection it needs and, of course, there are different grades of netting from the thick black stuff to finer looking netting.  What kind of netting do you favor?  I've had both and can't tell which lasted longer

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

we have the thick black stuff.  It saved our roof through both hurricanes. :P

Anonymous

#8 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

Zacate is better than the palms ( Guano, Palma Real and Palma Blanca and others) which are used here for palapa coverings. These palms are  endangered which is another good reason to use Zacate (dried grass)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users