• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 detroit...(texas)

detroit...(texas)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

thinking of following Steve's footsteps.....  the websites for the water taxi's from chetemaul to belize seem to suggest buying a ticket 72 hours in advance to guaranty a seat.  

Has anyone been denied a seat before?  I dont mind buying it early but with my luck there would be a storm on  the day i purchase it for and we will not go, and since there are three of us that would be a waste of $

#2 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

I would like to know this as well.  We are following in Steve's foot steps in December.

We visited Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker last December but we flew into Belize City.  This year we are going to fly to Cozumel to visit for a few days and then take Steve's route down to Belize.

#3 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

I have never not been able to get on a water taxi. They actually have 2 taxis leaving from the pier run by different companies. I believe one is supposed to leave around 3:00 pm and the other at around 3:30 pm. I have never taken the earlier one in the morning. Both companies will have sales people out in front of their offices at the pier trying to get you to take their service. Neither one leaves on time. They also have a luggage cart inside the fence and will bring it to the boat for you as it is a long pier. This last March they pulled something new on me when returning. I had to pay an entry tax of around $300 peso to get back into Mexico so be prepared to pay an exit and entry tax. I take the 9:20 am bus out of the other ADO station to Chetumal. You will arrive in Chetumal at close to 2:00 pm and have plenty of time to take a taxi over to the pier.

It's a great trip. You will have fun.

;

#4 detroit...(texas)

detroit...(texas)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

thanks Steve.  we appreciate all the tips and info.  I think we will just show up and buy the tickets there. 

Broylance we will post after our trip.  We head to cozumel in 5 days  and then to belize on the 29th. 

#5 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

I'll be down on Tuesday for 3 or 4 weeks. If you have any questions I can meet you for a drink at Wet Wendy's.

#6 detroit...(texas)

detroit...(texas)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

that would  be great.  we plan to be around the plaza friday the 28th.  just let us know what would be a good time to meet  if thats a good day for you. 

#7 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

The 28th. is good. Don't know what time would be good for you but between 1:00 and 2:00 pm works good for me. I have no plans so anytime is good if that doesn't work. I usually go out and get beer and ice in the morning then go home for a little while. Makes no difference to me. Let me know.

#8 detroit...(texas)

detroit...(texas)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

Sounds good. We'll be there around 1:00.

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

You know it has been a while since we got a good report and photos of this ritual.....

I usually go out and get beer and ice in the morning

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#10 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

I know. I just got back in April and was going to do a report but we flooded a week later and am still dealing with the effects.

I did make it down to Belize for 5  or 6 days. I will be down again to Cozumel  tomorrow and will try to get something going.

#11 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

Steve,

Would love to hear if you found anything new or interesting on your last trip to Belize.  You inspired me to take a trip there last December and now I have another trip planned for this December.  We found that we liked Caye Caulker much better than Ambergris Caye.  We prefer the more laid back atmosphere.

#12 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

The $142 i paid to not use the 90 minute ferry ride from BZE to Ambergris was worth every penny... Just sayin....

“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#13 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

Detroit..Great meeting you, your wife, and lovely daughter. Hope you have a wonderful time on Caye Caulker. Appreciate the drinks although it wasn't necessary.

#14 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

MarkC - you don't elaborate why.... so why? A 90min ferry ride (water taxi?) is not bad...

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#15 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

MarkC - you don't elaborate why.... so why? A 90min ferry ride (water taxi?) is not bad...

I guess to do the ziplining tour via the watertaxi where I had to do it TWICE in the same day made it bad. 

Personally, I hated it because it was HOT, bumpy/rough, crowded, long and uncomfortable.

I think the difference was roughly $100 us/pp between the water taxi and the puddle jumper and in the grand scheme of things, I felt it was worth it.

“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#16 detroit...(texas)

detroit...(texas)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

We made our trip to Caye caulker and back to cozumel. We enjoyed it but would fly in to Belize city for future visits. We. Made this trip by ferry to playa and bus to chetumaul followed by water taxi to San Pedro and then to Caye caulker. We wanted to see some of what is between here there.
We will post some pics after we get back home. One last day to enjoy cozumel.

#17 detroit...(texas)

detroit...(texas)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

Steve...  great meeting you.  we have spent hours reading your posts and viewing the pics.  Thanks for meeting us and all the information, we will see you again some day. 

We made a couple posts tonight of our trip.  

#18 conchitta

conchitta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

Is there any small airplane that goes from Cozumel to Belize?  Can you hire one?

#19 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

Is there any small airplane that goes from Cozumel to Belize?  Can you hire one?

I don't think so

http://ambergriscaye...rgris_caye.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users