23 replies to this topic

#1 mexpat10350

mexpat10350

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, boating, fine arts,

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

In the event tat shortages occur from time to time  on the Island, How difficult and expensive would it be to have items shipped as gifts from relatives in US?   Is using internet stores like Amazon.com difficult in Cozumel?

Thanks,

Joe

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

Here is some talk about it:  http://www.cozumelmy...8-amazon-global

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

I don't know what "tat" means.  Stupid me, I expect, or is that a typo

Re shipping from outside the country, if you can get it shipped it will typically double your price.  I've ordered a lot of things from Amazon Global and that's typically about what you end up paying -- twice what you'd pay if you had free shipping via amazon prime in the US.  Some items carry lower customs duties others much more.  So in some cases it can be almost 3 times the US price after shipping and taxes are taken into consideration.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

What kind of "shortages" are you concerned about?

Living here, you have got to think outside the box because generally there is not other box.

I wanted a asparagus steamer, can't get them here.  So, I found a pot, and a round metal silverware holder, and now I have an asparagus steamer.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

"Tat" can mean cheap junk, but I suspect it's a mistyping of "that". I don't think Cozumel is likely to be subject to tat shortages in the sense of inexpensive souvenirs.

#6 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

Tat means that

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

The easiest way to get items down is to ask if someone will "mule" it down for you.

People here are very helpful, and lots of folks pitch in to help out.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 mexpat10350

mexpat10350

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

Thanks Steve....."tat" definitely means "that". I stand among the world's worst typists and spellers. I'll try to proofread a little more diligently.

#9 mexpat10350

mexpat10350

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

Thanks Coz2wonder,

I guess I was thinking of things like mosquito repellent with 40% deet and things like that.

Joe

#10 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

Definitely advertise for burros. You can order, pay, & have the item drop shipped to the burro's USA address.

#11 3yearplan

3yearplan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, and moving to Cozumel where I can dive like other folks play golf--as often as possible!

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

So, here's a question in that same vein:  When you are traveling to Coz, how likely is it that the things you pack (fancy stuff for your printer, sealed cookies, whatever is essential) are the same things you will unpack?  Do the customs folks shop in your luggage?

Having said that, my brother has brought in all kinds of stuff, including a Hello Kitty backpack and vats of peanut butter and Bama grape jelly.

#12 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:42 PM

Personally, I've never lost a thing.  THAT being said, we got back home last year w/an item missing.  In fairness, we weren't sure we'd packed it.  It was a small, inexpensive item and easily replaced.  If we packed it, did it get stolen in Cozumel or Dallas?  I'm willing to give everyone the benefit of doubt on that as it really wasn't worth stealing and there were many more items worth a lot more in our luggage.  Just my experiences.

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

I have had items broken or disappear going through US customs.  Mostly TSA breaks stuff if you don't pack it so they can see what it is without unwrapping it because they unwrap it from, say, your clothing, and then just toss it back in loose afterwards.  Never had any problems with Mexican customs or security.  They might take something away but you'll be standing right there watching while they do it.

We brought a life size porcelain piglet back from Canada once time, for example.  In a box with padding.  TSA pulled it out to look at it, didn't rewrap it properly and piglet lost her foot.  (Don't worry we were able to glue it back on.)

#14 3yearplan

3yearplan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, and moving to Cozumel where I can dive like other folks play golf--as often as possible!

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

I agree there are more problems with the U.S. side than the Mexico side.  Once when going through customs in 2002-ish, the Mexican customs officers removed "forbidden" items from our family's suitcases and then put it in one of our set that had already been cleared.  I love the practical side of this.

#15 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

When you are traveling to Coz, how likely is it that the things you pack (fancy stuff for your printer, sealed cookies, whatever is essential) are the same things you will unpack?  

Pretty likely. As noted by others, I have considerably more concern about TSA in the US messing with my stuff.

Do the customs folks shop in your luggage?

I can't think where or how they'd do this.

At CZM, bags are unloaded on the tarmac in clear sight onto a cart, then taken a very short distance to the baggage carousel. You retrieve your own bags and take them to Customs. Bags are in open sight the entire time, so it seems very unlikely that anyone would have the time or opportunity to open anything until you're standing right there. The last time I had a bag inspection, they asked me to open my bags myself.

Customs, wherever I've traveled, doesn't mess with bags until the traveler presents them. For one thing, they want to watch people's behavior and reactions. For another, if there's smuggling going on they want to catch the person with the goods. TSA, on the other hand, seems to LOVE to open and disarrange luggage while nobody is watching.

#16 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:46 PM

I am sure it is just me, but using the expression 'mule' to get stuff here......hate it. The term comes from the Mexican drug culture. A mule is someone dumb enough to smuggle other peoples drugs. Usually on their person. This term became popular down here, during the late 80's during the cocaine wars. There has got to be a better way to ask for help getting something down here. I would never respond to that term.

http://dictionary.re...com/browse/mule

http://www.answers.com/topic/mule

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mule

Cozumel Diving

#17 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

You have a point re the term 'mule'.. Howsabout Angel. As in I need some angel to bring me.....  Because that's how I feel about a couple of people who have brought me stuff.  (Thanks again and you know who you are.)

#18 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

We have some wonderful people who help us too! I guess that is part of my peep...............I would never call those good people a derogatory term, no matter how it has been translated.

Cozumel Diving

#19 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:27 AM

I don't mind being a mule.  Of course I am stubborn.

And why don't we look at it as recapturing the term from the narcos?  Don't cede the power and let them control your actions!

The mule is patient, sure-footed, hardy and long-living and they are considered less obstinate, faster, and more intelligent than donkeys.  (Which I have also been called, mostly with the other name.)

I am proud to be called in the manner of a such a wonderful, hard working animal.  And after muling a stand mixer, I deserve the title!

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#20 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:19 AM

Ah, how very PC.  Stop using the word people understand and make up a new one. 

Let's try "Pack Horse" on for size!

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users