16 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

The comida corrida, lunch on the run loncheria list needs updating.  Please post your rec.s in this thread.

For those of you not familiar with the term, the comida corrida.is a set plate lunch typically served from around noon until 4 PM or whenever they run out with Mexicans typically eating at 3 PM.  For a fixed price of 60-70 pesos you get aqua fresca, a refreshing fruit water drink and a choice of several plate lunches that will typically have rice and steamed vegetables on the side and tortillas.  Often a sopa/soup is also offered.  The entree choices vary each day of the week as they are prepared that morning and will often be listed on a chalkboard.  English is seldom spoken.

So here's a couple of my fav.s and let's have some more suggestions -- this is for daytime lunch now -- not evening taquerias.

Flamitas -- Avenida 25 Sur between Calle 3 and Morelos.  Not to be confused with closeby Las Palmas just north on the same street.

Tonitas -- Salas between 10 and 15.  I haven't eaten here in years but it used to be very good and its very clean.

La Choza -- Avenida 10 between Calle 3 and Salas -- trick here is you must ask for the comida corrida in Spanish and they will rattle off what they have back at you in fast Spanish so if you're not up to that, you won't get the comida corrida here probably.  They will steer you to the English menu priced for tourists.

There are a ton more.  Suggestions please particularly from locals. Let's help our visitors get a good meal and promote local businesses at the same time!

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

La Candela is my favorite for this.

#3 TnVol

TnVol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

My favorite is  Las Palmas , which was mentioned in Carey´s post.  Many good ones on the island.

#4 BronxJoe

BronxJoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

My favorite is Chilangos (on 10th or 15th) on the street between Mega & Cedraui. They set the standard for good Mexican food as I have come to know it. They occasoinally have costillas en salsa verde that is a memorable meal & the ladies that run the place are very nice

#5 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

La Herradura on 30th between 17 and 19 (I think).

#6 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

Agree with Chilangos Cocina Economica, which is on 10a Avenida Sur between Calle 15 Sur and Calle 13 Sur.

I also like Las Palmas and MIss Dollar.

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

I simply do not understand the attraction of Las Palmas.  I had some caldo, bean broth, there, actually a couple of years ago that was absolutely tasteless except for a rancid aftertaste.  For me a good cook should be able to make a good soup broth as a basic.

I also have a Mexican girlfriend who is a professional cook and cooking teacher who gives this place a total thumbs down despite the fact that it is right around the corner from her house.

Nuff said.  We are just going to have to beg to differ on this restaurant.  It is not now or will it ever be on my recommended list.

#8 El Graduado

El Graduado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

One of my favorites is Las Tortugas on 30th.  It is not a place that serves comida corrida, but instead offers botanas with every beer you order.  You get five plates of five different botanas, plus chips and salsas, with every beer.  You could have 20 different plates of botanas if you have four beers, but I've never had more than two beers, because ten plates of botanas was always way too much for me.  On Sundays, one of the five plates with the first beer would be a whole fried fish (chac chi).  They also serve relleno negro as a botana plate on Sunday.  They must have several dozen items that they serve as botanas: ceviche de pulpo, caracol, or pescado, pig's feet, chicharon in salsa verde, sesos, potato salad, empanadas, panuchos, salbutes, buche, tacos, etc., etc.  Sometimes the cook gets pretty creative: marinaded caracol eyes was a weird one, but it was good.  Their regular menu is also pretty extensive, and several of the items really stand out, like the caldo Xochitl and the crema de chaya. They've been around for about 35 years, but not always at this location.

Another favorite of mine that has a twist on comida corrida is Cuccina Italiana, or as someone on this forum once called it "that armadillo restaurant."  Rex put up a drawing of an armadillo on the wall by the front door, like the ones on the Merida street corners, and they mistook it for the name of the restaurant!  The food there is partially prepared and set out on display.  You chose your main and a side dish and they finish it off then serve it to you.  Soup, salad, garlic bread, and unlimited agua fresca or tea included.

La Chosa is another very good place to order a comida corrida and eat it in a pleasant surrounding.  If you pick up a copy of the Free Big Yellow Beach Map at any rentadora on the island, you can use the 10% discount coupon in their ad.  They now have a pretty extensive choice of daily lunches, but I remember when Jimmy's father started it around 30 years ago and only served hamburgers!

Funny how we all have different likes and dislikes; I feel the same way about Chilangos and Miss Dollar that Carey feels about Las Palmas!  I guess every restaurant has good days and bad days, and if you hit a place a couple of bad days in a row, it gets bumped down to your &%$# list.

#9 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

Casa Mission, $45mx comida del dia is my fave. It's never crowded during the day and the service is great. Also, Sabores was good but I think they may have moved to what used to be the French Quarter. Does anyone have any info on this?

#10 sharond

sharond

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

La Choza -- Avenida 10 between Calle 3 and Salas -- trick here is you must ask for the comida corrida in Spanish and they will rattle off what they have back at you in fast Spanish so if you're not up to that, you won't get the comida corrida here probably.  They will steer you to the English menu priced for tourists.

We're staying directly across the street from La Choza - thanks for the tip :)  We really want to try and savour authentic Mexican food.

#11 julied

julied

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

We were in Coz for 6 weeks last year.  Ate lunch at La Candela at least three times.  Food was delicious and the Mamey Pie to die for.  Can't wait to go back in Jan and Feb 2014.

Julied

#12 mrtrvlman

mrtrvlman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Been Coming To Cozumel Since1975 Mostly For The Diving. Wanting To Retire And spend Some Portion Of Every Year In Cozumel. Hoping To Find Inexpensive Small Rental For Mrs Smith And Myself In Walking Distance To Most Of San Miguel.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:11 AM

What Are Botanist?

What Are Botanas?

#13 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

Botanas are like when when you go to a neighborhood cantina and drink.  They offer you free snacks called botanas.  Might be soup or chips or a fried fish.  They keep serving different things if you keep drinking.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#14 Jimgiboson

Jimgiboson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:57 AM

I will go for La Candela as i have come through with this only.

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:51 AM

My favorite is  Las Palmas , which was mentioned in Carey´s post.  Many good ones on the island.

I did not recommend Las Palmas, actually.  I prefer Las Flamitas, a loncheria on the same street as Las Palmas (20 Ave between 3 and Morelos) but one half block down on the same side.

#16 Geovanny

Geovanny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Computers, networks, and cellphones. I also enjoy reading and watching Doctor Who, and riding my skateboard even if i cannot do tricks. :D

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

Well since i liv here and eat out everyday i will give you my 2 cents worth:

There is Super Hit, they have 2 locations and they serve alot of food, they have a torta called Torta Atomica "Atomic Torta" and it is HUGE! It has Pork, Beef, Chicken, Eggs, cheese and their signature dressing, of and its DOUBLE of everything all for 55 Pesos. they are located on Avenida 30 sur and Calle 15 Sur. Its yellow and orange place you cant miss it. they also have a menu with different plates to choose from and its all cooked to order. Their second location is also on Avenida 30 sur but going on the opposite direction, towards Dominoes. 

There is also Tacos Ay Caramba, now i know this is outside of the time OP posted but they open at night and serve Tacos, Tortas, and Sopes, of Pastor "Spice Pork Meat". not alot to choose from but the great thing about this place, Tacos are 5 pesos each, tortas are 15, sopes are 20 for 3, and they have just started selling Pizza for 60 pesos, and 2 for 100. I always pass here when im walking home and dont feel like going to McDonalds or something. They are located next to Comida China Panda, on Avenida 11 Sur, between Avenidas 65 and 70.

There is also Las Quekas which sell quesadillas of chicharon prensado, champiñones, queso, flor de calabaza, tinga de res, tinga de pollo, and huitlacoche. Thats just the top of my head. Now the quesadillas are made by hand in front of you and they are big! id like to say about a foot give or take a few inches. The price is 15 Pesos per quesadilla, but trust me you will start filling full with just 2. They are located by the Municipal Palace, on Avenida 11 sur.

Also if you go to the Marketplace also known as the Municipal Market, they have various locales that sell comida corrida. located on Calle Dr Adolfo Rosado Salas between Avenidas 20 and 25, a block behind Dominoes Pizza

Again i dont know if this list constitutes as comida corrida, but its cheap and fills you up.

"This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty of the baud. We make use of a service already existing without paying for what could be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run by profiteering gluttons, and you call us criminals."

#17 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:08 AM

Gracias for those excellent tips, Geovanny.  I will put them on my list to try!  And welcome to the forums, by the way.  If you wish, you can go ahead and put up a description of your computer and networking etc services plus contact info in the Service Providers forum so peeps can find you if they need that kind of help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users