June 2013 - 1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

When the youngest son of some good friends of ours was 8, I told him that if he got dive certified I would take him on a dive trip to Cozumel when he finished high school.  Well, guess who graduated.  Edward and his dad Jay, my son Tim and I came down for a dive week in mid-June.  We flew in US Airways (Detroit-Charlotte-Cozumel).  Prices were higher than I've seen in awhile (675 per person plus 25 per checked bag each way).  We got to Cozumel about 2pm and went quickly thru customs and immigration.  We all got the green light and no special inspections.  We had rented a house in town thru Cozumel Paradise Villas.  The manager for the house met us just outside by the vans, he took our luggage and we grabbed the van to ISIS car rental (6 per person to El Centro).  Margarita had our car ready, a 4-door manual VW with no air for 35 a day.  I had a secret mission with Spencer (on this site) to find out what kind of bed Margarita slept in.  Spencer wanted to bring her some good quality bed sheets.  Margarita's husband was there with her and we easily got into a conversation about their new home in El Cedral that they are building, and whether they had hammocks or beds there.  Got the information I needed and was able to email it to Spencer later in the day. We picked up the car and drove to the house - Casa de Colores.  The house is in the south west corner of Corpus Cristi on Ave 5b and Calle 21.  I liked this place a lot.  It was very quiet and spacious.  It normally goes for 850 in the low season but they had a special price this season for 765.  It has a decent yard with a pool with a waterfall.  Inside the gate parking if you want it but we parked on the street outside.Since some people have told me they like to see some deatils of the houses that are available for rent, I'm including a bunch here.

Front of the house (with Margarita's rental car parked in front).  The house is 2-story.  There is a covered balcony off one of the 2 upstairs bedrooms.

aas15.JPG

abs14.JPG

The downstairs is a living room (left front quadrant), a kitchen (right front quadrant), a bedroom (left back quadrant) with a sliding door to the outside pool area, a laundry room (right back quadrant) with a washer and dryer, water pump and open-air space.  There is a bathroom in the rear center and a stairway going up.  The main entrance is a sliding door at the kitchen area.  There is no formal dining room.  When we eat inside we would bring the white plastic table and chairs from the covered porch inside.  Normally we eat at the kitchen bar (3 stools) or outside or around the livingroom coffee table.

aesb01.JPG  ahsb04.JPGafsb02.JPG

agsb03.JPGlh6.gaisb05.JPGahsb06.JPGagsb07.JPG

The upstairs has a bedroom on the left side with a dressing room and a private bath.  The balcony is off of this bedroom thru a sliding door, or can be reached thru a normal door in the hallway.  The right side is a bedroom with 3 twin beds (the other two bedrooms have king beds) and its own bath.

aksb08.JPGaqsb09.JPGalsb10.JPGamsb11.JPGansb12.JPGaosb13.JPG

The yard has a nice sized pool that takes up the left side of the yard and wraps around the house to the back (by the sliding door of the downstairs bedroom).  There is also a rinse tank and a outdoor rinse shower (hidden behind the red flower bush).  The humming birds love that red flower bush.  I think it is something like a honeysuckle.

apsb14.JPGs22.JPGs24.JPGacs23.JPGads25.JPG

The property was well managed.  When we arrived we went thru the house with David and commented on a few thiings (ground floor terrace had 3 chairs and no table/chairs on the balcony area, a couple lights burned out).  David went right out and brought back a second table and 4 more chairs and replaced the light bulbs that day.  In the first day we found that the waterfall never turned on and we found that the on/off timer was corroded so that it did not turn.  We figured out how to flip the on switch and after that turned it on and off when we wanted it.  Also, the dryer never got hot (it was a gas dryer).  We reported it to David and the next day a guy came and took it away for repairs and than brought it back later that day, all fixed.  So - as I've found in many other places, somethings not everything is in pristine condition but when you point it out it gets taken care of.

more to follow

#2 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

Neat report!

#3 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

Not sure why but all the photos dissappeared (again).  I reimported them into Picassa this time and reconnected them.

#4 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

When the youngest son of some good friends of ours was 8, I told him that if he got dive certified I would take him on a dive trip to Cozumel when he finished high school.  Well, guess who graduated. 

I graduated from HS in 1987, certified in 1989 - can you take me on a dive trip to Cz??? I'm long overdue!   :D :D :D

Nice Post!

“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users