• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jrhbryant

jrhbryant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

We will need to purchase some furniture for our condo. Small sofa, coffee table, bed frames & mattresses. Any suggestions? I wish Ikea shipped to Cozumel.

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

http://www.themagicofdesign.com/

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

Yah, I was going to also suggest Luh McDevitt's store on the corner of Calle 2 and Avenida 30.  Second story.  She can order tons of stuff for you from the catalogs that she keeps in the showroom.

Get ready for sticker shock on new imported furniture and don't blame it on Luh. The furniture industry is protected in Mexico and there is a 45% tax slapped on imports.  This in addition to the shipping costs which are not insubstantial.

She used to have a used furniture showroom around the corner, however, so if you aren't ready to spring for some of her luxe looking new stuff, you might find something there that would suit some of your needs at least.

You can also go to Cancun and order from Liverpool's and the like.  But you talk about a hassle.  First of all, they've already added the import taxes to the prices as much of the nicest and certainly the most comfortable stuff is imported.  Secondly you have to deal with getting it shipped to you and pay for it.  Used to be that was pretty much the only choice if you lived here and wanted something more comfortable than your typical rustico style straight-backed and often carved wooden furniture with hard as a rock removable pillows and padding.  

Now we have our island treasure, Luh.  I have from her a wonderfully comfortable upholstered loveseat and hassock, several wicker back rockers, some lamps and a number of high quality Pelican Reef rattan chairs.

If you need a cabinet, bookshelf or table bullt to a specific size, another American, Jeff Ferguson and his carpentry company will fix you up proud.  There are apparently some good Mexican carpenters on this island but I've had so many bad experiences with them that I no longer go near them even with a 10 ft pole.  You'll pay more for Jeff but you'll also get exactly what you want and it will not shrink, expand crack or not fit properly.

Rustico bed frames is one thing you can buy cheap from a lot of local Mexican carpenters.  No moving parts so they hold up well generally.  

Mattresses?  I hope you like hard beds.  Because iffen ya don't that's something to stuff in your car if you drive down or even pay extra baggage to ship with you on the plane -- mattress toppers.  All they have here is real cheap, real thin egg crate foam toppers which are better than nothing expecially if you use 2 or even 3 layers but then it's like you're sleeping on top of a stack of pancakes.

#4 jrhbryant

jrhbryant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

I love the rattan rockers shown on her website. Beautiful. Thank you for the tip.

#5 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

Al the major stores sell furniture, most of it somewhat cheaply made, also Sams has some stuff  We purchase furniture from Magic Design and a living room 3 piece set from a furniture store on 5th I believe. Do not get in too much of a hurry as people leave here all the time and sell stuff very reasonably. We picked up a fairly new recliner today for 2500 pesos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users