• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jrhbryant

jrhbryant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

I will be in and out of Cozumel quite a bit since my husband and I are closing on a condo very soon.  I checked with AT&T and was told my iPhone is locked therefore, I am unable to merely insert a SIM card from TelCel.  So, I guess I will need to purchase a pay as you go mobile phone once I get down there.  It's not so much about being able to call the states, but about being able to make local calls to a carpenter, painter, etc.  There is much work to be done in the condo.  What is your advice?  Is there a TelCel office in Cozumel where I could purchase such phone and have it set up?

Thanks so much.

Jacque

#2 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

Unlock your phone.use any chip you want.
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#3 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

To answer your question yes there is many places to buy cheap phone. Before we moved we got from National geographic a chip for a go phone that we purchased at wall mart. The chip is for AT&T go phone and they will ship it to you very quickly. Allows calls to the US and works locally. Just another option as is a Magi App for cell phones

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

If you want cheap, just stop downstairs at Mega and buy a pay as you go amigo phone for like 300 peso at the Telcel shop.  Comes with time.  You can put more time on with card from the oxxo or what not or charge it with a US credit card on their website.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#5 boomer262

boomer262

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

I just used attiphoneunlocking.com and it was well worth it.

#6 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

As others have noted, the mobile phone shop under the Mega does a good job. There's also one on 30a Av. in the Plaza Norte.

There are several options for TelCel Amigo pay-as-you-go phones. However, you can also use any unlocked phone with a SIM slot (some CDMA phones also have a SIM slot). There are lots of unlocked phones available for fairly cheap by mail order in the US (including some Android smartphones that aren't too expensive), which would mean your phone wouldn't be locked to TelCel as an inexpensive phone bought from TelCel would be.

We prefer using our iPhones, though, and you might also. Even if ATT won't unlock your phone, there are those who can do so for a fee. Unlocking will be much cheaper than all but the very lousiest disposable phone, and you end up being able to use your iPhone on the island. That's the way I'd go.

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

MS,

Do you just switch the sim card in your Iphone or are you saying you have a second?  I haven't gotten past having the US phone 'on' and having a Coz phone.....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#8 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

Does the store under Mega also sell SIM cards?  I have an older Blackberry model that has been unlocked.  We visit Hong Kong where I can buy a HK SIM card for $7 Cdn for 400 minutes.  I want to do something similar while in Cozumel when we visit in November.  This will also work when we first move to Cozumel in early 2014 until we decide what cell phone to go with.

Getting a cheap pay-as-you-go phone is also another way to go but I'd prefer using my BB where all my contact info is loaded.

Thanks

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#9 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

Just bought a new Samsung Galaxy S4 that is factory unlocked and can take any SIM card.  Does the Telcel downstairs from Mega sell these?  We'd love to buy a SIM card to use during our visit in November and have minutes left over for when we move there in January/February.  Or until we figure out what we want to do permanently.

Thanks

Betty

Betty

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

Yea, that is where we buy ours.  There is some data included on the amigo pay as you go.  

Be aware though after a period of time the phone will lock unless you take a copy of your passport to the telcel office and register the phone in your name.  Part of the ant- trafficante deal.

Alternately, someone with a curp can just dial that in for you and you are good to go.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#11 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

If you get your Telcel SIM at the shop under the Mega, they can register it for you on the spot, which is far more convenient even if you DO have a CURP.

#12 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

Oh, that is sweet.  Back when we got ours, they told us we had to go to the main office.  Which made it much easier to hand it to someone with a CURP...  *cough*

Am I correct that you just need a copy of your passport?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#13 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:04 PM

If you want to go the official route and don't have a CURP, you need a copy of your passport and you are supposed to go to a TelCel customer service center.

If you don't care that much about officialdom and just want a working SIM, you can just let the kid at the cellular store do it (I reckon he just uses his own CURP or makes one up following the published formula) and all you need is to buy the SIM. If you are registering a SIM you already own, you should give him some money for his trouble.

#14 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

Ah, so we are birds of a feather.  I was feeling like the bad boy there for a minute.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#15 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

Sorry for the dumb question but "what is a CURP"?   And how long is "a long time" when the phone will lock if you don't register it?

Betty

#16 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

Curp is like a Mexican SS number. 

I was trying to find how long you have to register it and I found some stuff that said maybe they did away with the requirement to register them as off 6/2012?  Anyone know the skinny on that?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#17 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

CURP is "Clave Única de Registro de Población", which translates to something like "unique population regisration code".

#18 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:37 AM

So if I do not have this CURP; then I ask the folks at Telcel if they can register my SIM card and phone?  I just need to take my passport with me to the store?

That sounds easy enough.  And when I get that number then I can keep it forever?  Do I just keep loading $$ onto the card?

Betty

Betty

#19 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

I *think* you need to take a copy too.  Unless they *help* you at the counter for a small tip without paperwork.  Or if its true you don't need it anymore..

The number is permanent and attached to the sim card, which you can move phone to phone keeping the number.  You can buy minutes cards at Oxxo and places and put more pesos on the card.  Or, what I find easier is to set up your phone on the telcel website.  Then you can add pesos by US credit card whenever and check your balance.  It is in Spanish, but it is easy to figure out.

What does happen is without use or adding minutes, it gets suspended after a couple months or so.  Then you need to add a few pesos to get it working again.  Usually before a trip I turn the phones on here and let them connect.  They will roam on the ATT here.  Then I hit the online account and throw 50 or 100 pesos on them.  Then I get a text message from Telcel acknowledging the recharge which lets me know the phone is live again.  I guess if you wanted you could fire it up and send a txt message while roaming to keep it active too.  Before I set them up online, I would always have to wait until I got to the ferry pier to run in and get a new minutes card to make it active again.  I would hand the girl pesos and my phone and tip her for charging it for me.  My wife speaks Spanish and has a hard time understanding the fast Spanish on the phone prompts.  I STILL don't think we have voicemail set up on any of our phones.  OR at least I cant get to it....    So if you call, don't leave a msg, just text me. :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#20 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

Congress ended the law in April of 2012. As stated, you need to recharge your account, add $50 plus pesos or your existing balance is lost after 60 days. When you check your balance, the expiration date is given.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users