#21 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

Charles, are you sure you lose your balance?  I thought it just suspended the account.  I *think* I always get the existing balance back plus whatever little it add?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#22 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Thanks Chief & Charles.  I think I will take a friend who is local and can speak Spanish with us to Telcel so I understand it all.  I'll bring a copy of my passport just in case.  $50 pesos doesn't sound like much.  How long does that last?  :)

And it will probably expire after the 60 days if I use it during my Nov 9-16 trip and then not again until we move which will be in Jan or Feb; depending on when the sale of the house closes and we actually get down there.  If I can go on the Telcel website and add more with a Canadian VISA (not US) then that would be good too.  I want it to work when we land permanently (just in case)

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#23 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

If TelCel Amigo credit expires, adding a little more within 60 days will revive whatever was there before.

TelCel won't really say how long a number has to stay dormant before it will be inactivated. I've gone over 4 months without my number dying, but one did die after 7 months.

If you sign up at mitelcel.com, you can set up automatic recharges to prevent any risk of losing your numbers. I recharge 4 numbers with 50 pesos each every month. Even though a 50-peso recharge dies after 2 weeks, it all gets restored 2 weeks later. If you don't even want to risk that, 100-peso recharges last a month.

Our TelCel Amigo SIMs don't work at all in the US because our Sprint phones are SIM-locked to prevent the use of other carriers' SIMs within the US. Therefore, there's no chance of our recharging from our phones within the US. Whether you can roam in the US on a TelCel SIM depends on a number of factors, so using the website is much more reliable.

You can switch voice prompts to English, which makes things such as setting up voicemail easier for Spanish doofuses like me. 

Dial *333, & press "Call".

When you hear the message begin in Spanish, press #. 

When the next message starts, press 2, then press # again.

#24 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

Well if that works for me Doc, I owe you a beer!!!! 

:rolleyes:

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users