9 replies to this topic

#1 Markandrebecca

Markandrebecca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

Hello!
I saw some older posts regarding dog food but I wanted to check in and see if there is any new info. Just moved here with our 5 small dogs and they are used to the fancy pants food in the states. I have not yet broken it to them that those days are over. Don't know much about what the options are here or even in Playa or Cancun. Please let me know what you guys are feeding your babies, where you get it and how it's going!
Thank you! :)

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

My dogs didn't take to the canned food from Costco.  They are bratty little toys that can't be starved until they'll eat anything or they might get hypoglycemia.

I finally figured out an easy to make with local ingredients home made doggie meat loaf and I make it myself.  It's more expensive than buying dog food, of course.  But my dogs are little and don't eat much so it goes a long way.

If you want the recipe I can give it to you but in general terms, I use 2.5 lbs of ground beef, chicken or turkey, mixed with 1.3 cups raw oatmeal, baby food carrots, tomato sauce, unsweetened applesauce, some herbs and garlic powder for flavoring.  And for calcium, I keep my eggshells and grind them up as this is the most pure balance of calcium to potassium.  1/2 teas of eggshell powder to every two cups of food.

Mix it all up like a meat loaf, bake, use half, freeze half.

It was the very devil figuring out a recipe that was easy to make and that was balanced the way it should be.  But now it's easy and the dogs are really eating well and have a lot of energy.

If you want the exact recipe, I will post it.

#3 Markandrebecca

Markandrebecca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

I would love the recipe if you're able to post it. I have enough of their food they are on now to last a couple of weeks, so no rush. Thank you so much! :)

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

2.5 lbs ground beef, ground turkey or ground chicken (ground pork would do as well if cooked well enough) Ground chicken and recently ground turkey is available at the Mega.

1.3 cups raw oatmeal

2 6 oz jars baby food carrots (you can also grate and cook carrots yourself but too much trouble for me)

1/2 cup of applesauce, preferably unsweetened and here you might have to make your own

3/4 cup of tomato sauce without any onion or peppers flavoring

teaspoon marjoram

teaspoon oregano

couple tables spoons of  dried parsley

couple dashes of worcester sauce

half a T of garlic powder

2 beaten eggs

for that amount of food 4 teaspoons of ground egg shells

squish everything up until thoroughly mixed, shape into a loaf and bake at 350 for an hour.

Cool thoroughly, preferably overnight.  Then cut into squares.  I feed half a batch and freeze the other half for when I'm feeling lazy.

Note on eggshells -- rinse out thoroughly and allow to dry.  Then roast in oven for a couple minutes to dry more.  Crush up and grind to a fine powder in a moca jete which can be bought at the market.  I ordered a little coffee grinder from amazon and had it shipped and that certainly makes the job easy.  1 egg shell will give you about a teaspoon of eggshell powder.

Note on ground chicken -- it is very runny here so I end up adding more oatmeal and cooking it in two batches at 350 for 30 minutes each.  Turkey and beef and pork aren't as runny.

My dogs really love this stuff and it is extremely gratifying to me to see them so eager for their food and looking so bright eyed.

The hardest part was figuring out how to feed them a balanced diet.  Actually making it isn't that much work, really, considering how good it is for the 'babies'.  I wouldn't do it in the states where there are so many options for high qual food.  But down here there just are not.  Period.

#5 Markandrebecca

Markandrebecca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

Thank you so much! :). Sounds easy enough to make, I will try it out, I bet they are going to love it!

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

the kicker is the calcium.  They really need that supplement -- not too much, not too little and in the proper form that's accessible to them.  Egg shells does it but it's difficult to grind them to a fine powder by hand.  I'm sure it can be done.  Actually, you know, a blender would probably work.  And you can certainly get those down here.  Then have someone bring you a little Krup coffee bean grinder from the states some time.

#7 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

Markandrebecca:  5 dogs!!!!  WOW that must have been some trip.  We will be flying into Cozumel in early 2014 with just 2 small dogs and are worried about what to feed them.  I thought I read somewhere that we can only bring in enough food for one day for each of them.  What???  I was hoping to bring at least one bag of high quality kibble that one of them eats.  And then go from there.  Did you fly in?

Hubby feels he can cook for them since he is retired with "all this time".  I like your recipe Carey and may have to give it a try.

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#8 Markandrebecca

Markandrebecca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

We didn't fly, we drove. in hindsight we would have flown for sure! I had read that about not bringing in dog food, as well. We took the chance and brought one bag with us...figured that if it was a problem we could just discard of it there. They didn't even mention it and it was listed on our list of household goods. I wish we would have brought more but that could have created a problem, maybe. I am super excited to try Carey's recipe, it looks pretty easy and I can make a big batch and freeze it.
We brought a food processor with us and hopefully that will work to grind up the eggshells. I'll let ya know how it goes!

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:34 AM

flying with 5 dogs -- even small ones -- is going to be quite the accomplishment.  American Airlines is the only airline flying in here that allows two small dogs in the same carrier.  And only one carrier for paying passenger.  And you can't buy an extr seat to put the dog under it.

So one of your dogs would have to go as checked luggage and you could bring the other 4 out in two carriers if they will fit comfortably in a medium sized sherpa bag.

The dog food is very easy to make.  Figuring out a balanced recipe was something that took me a long time but I finally got a recipe from the breeder from whom I bought all my dogs and modified it slightly to fit what is available down here.

Re bringing dogfood in (or out), going in to the US I used to pack an unopened bag of dry food I bought down here and customs doesn't have a problem as long as it hasn't been opened.  Coming into Cozumel it is a total cr*p shoot what they decide to confiscate but in any case it should be in unopened containers.

When in doubt that it might get taken away on a whim, pack several in different parts of your luggage including your carry on if possible.  That way at least some of it will make it through.

The home made diet I outlined is very easy on the stomach, however, so your dogs shouldn't have the typical upset stomach and diarhhea so change them over slowly business that typically comes with an abrupt change of food.

I forgot to mention that I shape mine into sort of flat loaves with a hole in the center so it cooks more evenly and bake on a cookie sheet.  Loaf pan would work too of course but a rectangular baking pan like for brownies is a good choice.  Or a cookie sheet lined with aluminum.

#10 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

Thanks Carey.  Our newest dog is a rescue and he had diarrhea for about 5 days when we tried to transition him from the crappy kibble they were feeding him to the raw diet we feed our first dog.  Gave up and put him on the best dry kibble brand we can buy here in Canada.

I was hoping to bring in a bag or two and will try doing it like you suggest:  one in checked baggage, carry-on and maybe even a bag in the shipment we will have sent down. though that could take several weeks to get there.

Rebecca:  what kind of dogs do you have?

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users