Photo

Anyone Seen A Dehumidifier On The Island Or Even In Pdc Or Cancun?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

I have one good dehumidifer I bought from a furniture store going out of business a few years ago.  And a kind of crummy one that I bought for $3500 MXN from mercado libre awhile back.

I was looking at having one shipped via amazon but the large well reviewed ones are $200 US or so -- that's doable.  But shipping and import taxes gets it up to $450 US!

Mercado libre only had one and it reviewed out TERRIBLY.  As in "Do not buy this unit at all cost" type of reviews.

So....anyone seen one available in this neck of the Yucatan?  At least that way I could possibly return it for credit or replacement if it turns out to be a bummer.

I find a dehumidifer is really a necessity in any room that isn't used a LOT so that it gets completely aired out on a very regular basis.  And even then the humidity is so conducive to mildew.  Without my big boy my back guest room which has a windowless cement closet attached that sits behind our well, would be overgrown with mildew.  It starts to smell musty within two weeks of no dehumidifier use.

#2 3gatitos

3gatitos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:58 AM

We bought our dehumidifier at Home Depot in Cancun about 2 years ago. 

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

thanks!  What brand and are you happy with it still?

#4 3gatitos

3gatitos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

Very happy with it.... sorry but not here(there) at the present time, so can't give you the model.  Most new items like this purchased at  big box store should be fairly efficient.    I have an older dehumidifier in the states, and just bought a new one.   Newer one is much more efficient.   A friend on the island has the same model, from the same store and to our recollection is the only model  they had if that helps....  again sorry about the lack of "model" info.

#5 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

On hand in Home Depot in Cancun

EVERCOOL
$4199mx DESHUMIDIFICADOR ELÉCTRICO 30 L
Termostato ajustable. Timer. Capacidad 30 L.
(374871)

You can also check Liverpool or Sear's....

#6 Danielh

Danielh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

Costco had them a few years back at least.  Not sure if they still do.  We bought one of theres and its still working fine after about 2 or so years. 

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

Well,if I have to pay more than $4000 MXN for an off brand dehumidifier and go and get it and haul it back from Cancun, I might as well get one from amazon for $210 US and have it shipped for a total of around $400 US.

Problem is apparently THE very best brand is frigidaire and amazon doesn't ship them internationally nor does anyone else.

Can't find any fridgidaire distributors in Mexico so far either but still looking.

The one I got from mercado libre is official dead, Jim.  God damn it.  The LG I bought used is still fighting the good fight, however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users